Edge Fuel Economy

92merc

I was browsing around and on Edmunds, they have a video. If you listen to it, they actually state excpect a combined fuel economy of 25mpg. That's the first figure I've head at all other than, "7% better".

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Gener...rticleId=108868

yeah I have been on the needles to see the MPG numbers for the D35... and remember hearing that from Edmunds .. back in the day... I kind of wish it is more... (especially in the CD3's .. they need at least 29 HWY mpg to compete)

Igor

yeah I have been on the needles to see the MPG numbers for the D35... and remember hearing that from Edmunds .. back in the day... I kind of wish it is more... (especially in the CD3's .. they need at least 29 HWY mpg to compete)

Igor

Well, with 25 mpg COMBINED in the larger, heavier, Edge, I don't think 29 mpg highway from the D35 in the CD3's is out of the realm of possibility at all. In fact, it seems quite probable, if not conservative.

Well, with 25 mpg COMBINED in the larger, heavier, Edge, I don't think 29 mpg highway from the D35 in the CD3's is out of the realm of possibility at all. In fact, it seems quite probable, if not conservative.

My feeling is it will be low 20's around town. Low 30's on the highway. I really really hope that's what it ends up being. Shoot, my mother in law's Buick with the 3.8L gets 35MPG at 75. It would be nice for the ole Ford to get that. Because I'm planning on trading in the mother in laws car for an Edge this fall.

I was just lurking about EPA website and tI have some comparison with Toyota 265-270hp 3.5l V6

In Lexus RX350 FWD and weight of 3500lbs it gets 270hp and 20/25mpp

In RX350 AWD, with curb weight of 4090lb it gets 19/24mpg

However in the new Rav4 FWD, wieighing 3547lb and pushing 269HP, it gets 22/29mpg

In Rav4 AWD weighing 3675lb, it gets 21/28mpg

In camry where it pushed 265hp in a car weighing 3616lbs, the engine gets 22-31 mpg

So we have the Edge's estimate of "25mpg combined" in the car weighting 4086 lbs we might be actually stacking well...

The MKX weigths, 4220lb (FWD) and 4419lb AWD

The MKZ weights 3410lbs

We shall be expecting the official numbers on the D35... it should be interesting.

Igor

Igor, I think your research shows a bit about transmission and gearing. I doubt all of those you mentioned have the same tranny and/or gear ratio's.

My mother in law's car has the 3.8 in a Buick. My buddy has the same model year Pontiac, same engine. But the MIL's car beats his by 3 MPG pretty consistently.

Since the Edge has the same tranny as the 500, I'm hoping the efficiency will be good. With the 6 speeds, they will have a lot of room to program the right shift points so they can keep efficiency and still have some seat of the pants HP.

Since the Edge has the same tranny as the 500, I'm hoping the efficiency will be good. With the 6 speeds, they will have a lot of room to program the right shift points so they can keep efficiency and still have some seat of the pants HP.

The Edge currently is not fitted with the same transmission as the Five Hundred. The Five Hundre's 6-speed is a FWD-only unit, where as the Edge's 6-speed is the newer design developed with GM that is AWD-capable. I'm assuming the Five Hundred will be receiving this 6-speed with the '08 refresh however to replace the CVT in AWD applications.

I would venture to guess that the gearing is pretty similar in both 6-speed setups however.

The Edge currently is not fitted with the same transmission as the Five Hundred. The Five Hundre's 6-speed is a FWD-only unit, where as the Edge's 6-speed is the newer design developed with GM that is AWD-capable. I'm assuming the Five Hundred will be receiving this 6-speed with the '08 refresh however to replace the CVT in AWD applications.

I would venture to guess that the gearing is pretty similar in both 6-speed setups however.

Ah yes. I'm getting them confused. But then it's the same 6 speed as the Fusion then. Not the 500. But the 6sp Fusion V6 does pretty well.

Ah yes. I'm getting them confused. But then it's the same 6 speed as the Fusion then. Not the 500. But the 6sp Fusion V6 does pretty well.

No, the Fusion still uses the old Aisin 6 speed with the 3.0. Only the 3.5 vehicles get the new JV 6 speed auto.

• 2 weeks later...
OK this might be dissapointing if true .... the http://www.lincolnmkx.org/

"forum" (has all of 15 members)

has "spec summary for the MKx and it says: 20city 27hwy - 23.5combined.

they do not reference their numbers - but if they are right, they are a little low. I was hoping for at least the aforementioned 25combined.

Igor

Well the kinda sucks. I was hoping for more. I hope that's the all wheel drive specs. The 3.0L Fusion is 21/29. Fusion is 3200lbs. Edge is 4000. So if they pull off 20/27 out of a 1000lb heavier car, it wouldn't be terrible. But I was hoping for more like 22/31. Shoot, a Grand Marquis will pull 20/27 without much trouble.

Well the kinda sucks. I was hoping for more. I hope that's the all wheel drive specs. The 3.0L Fusion is 21/29. Fusion is 3200lbs. Edge is 4000. So if they pull off 20/27 out of a 1000lb heavier car, it wouldn't be terrible. But I was hoping for more like 22/31. Shoot, a Grand Marquis will pull 20/27 without much trouble.

It may pull off 20/27 -- driving nonstop at a steady speed -- but it's rated at 17/25. Adjust your expectations for what the Edge will "pull off" accordingly.

It may pull off 20/27 -- driving nonstop at a steady speed -- but it's rated at 17/25. Adjust your expectations for what the Edge will "pull off" accordingly.

Where have you heard any ratings on the new 3.5L? Have a link? I don't recall seeing one yet. Or are you talking about the CV/GM mileage?

I seriously hope the Edge pulls an actual mileage of 30. My mother in law's Buick LeSabre has the 3.8L engine. Rated at 17/29. It pulls 33-35 no problem on the highway. And that includes 75 on the Interstate. Now this is a 3600lb car, but a bigger V6.

But on the other hand, a Grand Marquis is rated 17/29 and is 4000lbs. If I'm going to have that heavy of a vehicle and get the same milage, I might as well buy a Grand Marquis and get the torqy V8.

Whatever the Edge and MkX get, its still world better then the Explorer can get...

What are you all worried about.....the Liberty gets 23 mpg and Chrysler mentions it in one of their commercials. Yeah, that's 1 mph better then the new Commander. People still buy the Liberty....Escape is rated at 29 mpg.

But it will have a lower tow rating, and will not seat seven. You need to compare apples to apples.

Yeah, but I think his point is that most people don't haul 7 people around in their Explorers. Even fewer people tow with them. It just makes the Edge a viable alternative to all the folks who do nothing in their Explorer except commute to work (which is probably most of them).

Yeah, but I think his point is that most people don't haul 7 people around in their Explorers. Even fewer people tow with them. It just makes the Edge a viable alternative to all the folks who do nothing in their Explorer except commute to work (which is probably most of them).

the only problem is that now there is the bloated Rav4 with 3rd row seats are 22/29 MPG rating ... and since it is toyota, in people's minds the rating 200mill/300trillion miles a gallon - plus it is a Toyota and it has 3 rows of seats.

Igor

the only problem is that now there is the bloated Rav4 with 3rd row seats are 22/29 MPG rating ... and since it is toyota, in people's minds the rating 200mill/300trillion miles a gallon - plus it is a Toyota and it has 3 rows of seats.

Igor

Yes, I considered the RAV4. However, go the RAV4 World web site and read about all of the quality problems. The final straw for me was reports of a steering column leaning to one side, the same defect which made me sell an expensive new Sienna after 4,500 miles for a $8,500 loss, as I could not stand the neck and upper back pain I had when driving the thing.

Yes, I considered the RAV4. However, go the RAV4 World web site and read about all of the quality problems. The final straw for me was reports of a steering column leaning to one side, the same defect which made me sell an expensive new Sienna after 4,500 miles for a $8,500 loss, as I could not stand the neck and upper back pain I had when driving the thing.

WOW .. I didn;t know ..

Well then .. the EDGE will be competitive ... the mileage will be high enough to compete with the escape, but with more power and more space - and better looks in and out.

Igor

RE the 35 MPG 3.8 in Buick.

I've spent many thousands of miles on trips in rented 3.8 Lasabre's. At a steady 70 or so, the best I've every accomplished, over several tanks of fuel for accuracy, is in the 30-31 range, and I'm good at gas milage. But the car's computer did say about 35 MPG average.

My 3.0 Montego will also get in the 30 or so range at same cruising speed. It's about aero drag and RPM. Every 5% or so lower gearing for performance costs you about 1 MPG. These large bulky big cars that get this great milage turn the engine very slowly when cruising. No rocket science.

I don't understand why some are convinced the Edge will kill the Freestyle...the Edge doesn't offer 3 rows, and is more "SUV" looking.

Hmm, that's funny. I've always thought the look of the Edge was more car-like than the Freestyle and not very SUV like. To me, it's more like a wagon than a SUV. But a modern good looking one.

Hey, I don't care. I still think it looks better than the Freestyle. Freestyle is just too plain and old fashioned wagon looking, and not in a good way.