Return Of the Rabitt

Biker16

http://www.vw.com/rabbit/rabbitcompare.htm...romo_rabbit2006

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit

Engine: 2.5-litre DOHC, 20-valve, five-cylinder.

Power: 150 horsepower @ 5,000 rpm.

Torque: 170 pound-feet @ 3,750 rpm. Transmission: five-speed manual, six-speed automatic with Tiptronic.

Steering: speed-sensitive electric power assist.

Brakes: four-wheel disc with ABS, hydraulic brake assist and brake-force distribution.

Suspension:

Front: MacStruts with stabilizer bar.

Rear: Independent four-link suspension with coil springs, stabilizer bar.

Wheels: 6-inch by 15-inch steel wheels with wheel cover, 6.5-inch by 16-inch alloys (opt.).

Length: 4,210 mm (165.8 in.).

Width: 1,759 mm (69.3 in.). Height: 1,479 mm (58.2 in.).

Wheelbase: 2,578 mm (101.5 in.).

Curb weight, three-door: 1,349 kg. (2,974 lbs), manual. 1,379 kg. (3,040 lbs.), automatic. Curb weight, five-door: 1,393 kg. (3,071 lbs.), manual. 1,423 kg. (3,137 lbs.), automatic.

Oh boy 15K for a VW!! With plastic hubcaps, black rub strips, and base suspension. Saw a few, it's not a Porsche, its a German Corolla, so it is worth less $$. The whole "VW is a luxo brand" was foolish.

Now wasn't it recently that BikerMan wanted the Focus to be higher priced. Now does cart wheels because the 'new Golf' is cheaper????

Oh boy 15K for a VW!! With plastic hubcaps, black rub strips, and base suspension. Saw a few, it's not a Porsche, its a German Corolla, so it is worth less $$. The whole "VW is a luxo brand" was foolish.

Now wasn't it recently that BikerMan wanted the Focus to be higher priced. Now does cart wheels because the 'new Golf' is cheaper????

THe biker man like c-cars.

The Foucs starts at 12k right now, if VW can have a 15k euro C ar in N.A. why can't ford?

If they dump the Focus hatch my next car may be the golf.

I test drove the GTI when it came out in Canada and I was pretty impressed by the interior and overall feel of the car. Since the Rabbit is essentially the same thing, just with a different engine and different options, I'd say 15grand US is a pretty good price for what it is. It may not get the same mileage as the Focus, but the Focus doesnt have 170lb/ft of torque, plus it's still a very, very dated design in the segment (older than any of its competition, and it shows).

I almost threw up when I heard they wanted to rename the Golf the Rabbit, but they do seem to have a good car put together. As much as people here might laugh at VW reliability, most reports I've seen about these new cars indicate they are more reliable, although there's no doubt the quality and fit and finish is superior to any of the competition.

2.5L is a bit big of an engine, but I dont see why they couldn't add a 2.0L option down the road (even though they need it now), since the 2.5L engine is the 2.0 with an extra cylinder anyway. In any case, VW has a strong following and they did make a car that looks good inside and out, and has pretty good performance. If Dodge can sell Calibers I have no doubt VW can sell this.

Honestly, VW has a lot to compete with these days. In that price bracket you have cars that are more attractive, cost basically the same, and get better fuel economy.

The Rabbit is a snore to look at, and if the Jetta is any indication, the handling dynamics fall in that same category. Now had they offered the 2.0T for say 16K, that would be something worth talking about.

Back in the day, Car and Driver and mags routinely praised the 1st Rabbit as if it was the 2nd coming. But they hated the US made ones, and claimed the interiors were too Chevrolet. They coined the phrase 'Malibuization' of the Rabbit.

But when the 1983 GTI came here, C&D did cartwheels. Never mentioned the reliabilty problems however.

The Golf name was added in 1985 to try to make VW look 'back to German roots'.

So many auto wrtiters made a stink about the return of the name. But to an under 30 y/o buyer, the name reminds them of the good old GTI's, not the crap diesel cars that died easy.

The car is nice, but the price point shows that in the C class, makers cannot force buyers to pay more.

Looked at Rabbits yesterday and they are nice, but they get 22 MPG city. While Civics and Corollas get 30 city.

What MPG would a heavier C1 Focus get?

Also, even if Ford sold C1's, they would have to put lower sticker prices than someone proposed, [18K]. VW offers lots of STD features, bt no 18K price.

Looked at Rabbits yesterday and they are nice, but they get 22 MPG city. While Civics and Corollas get 30 city.

What MPG would a heavier C1 Focus get?

Also, even if Ford sold C1's, they would have to put lower sticker prices than someone proposed, [18K]. VW offers lots of STD features, bt no 18K price.

the largest engine that fits the euro Focus is the 2.5 I5.

the likely engine would be the Duratec 1.8, 2.0 or 2.3. depending on tune and displacement Range from 44-34mpg hwy.

25-38 city

The Rabbit starts at 15k for the 3 door, the 5 door starts at 17k.

what really matters is the average selling price.

Edited by Biker16

So 4 cylinder power, with V6 fuel efficiency, on a "small" car weighing in at 3000lbs, and I'm sure it'll come standard with VW's Unreliability program. Interesting...

Let's see how many suckers take the plunge...

Humm... Maybe Ford can counteract with a stripper Focus called the Pony... Oh wait it doesn't begin with an F.... What was I thinking?

So 4 cylinder power, with V6 fuel efficiency, on a "small" car weighing in at 3000lbs, and I'm sure it'll come standard with VW's Unreliability program. Interesting...

Let's see how many suckers take the plunge...

oh no

its a 2.5l I5 making V6 "like" power.

I hope you fools are joking about V6-like power. WTF? Since when is anything less than 250hp good enough for a V6 around here? This joke of an engine puts out 1995 Duratec numbers, at exactly the same displacement. Hello?? When are dumb young people going to stop buying unreliable, slow, horribly warranteed cars just because they like the hip commercials???????????? :finger:

I hope you fools are joking about V6-like power. WTF? Since when is anything less than 250hp good enough for a V6 around here? This joke of an engine puts out 1995 Duratec numbers, at exactly the same displacement. Hello?? When are dumb young people going to stop buying unreliable, slow, horribly warranteed cars just because they like the hip commercials???????????? :finger:

VW warranty is 4 years 50k.

powertrain 5years /60kmiles

the 2.5 I5 makes 170ft/lbs of torque that is similar to a 2.5l v6.

Hey you're preaching to the wrong crowd. I doubt anyone around here is jumping to buy a VW.

VW warranty is 4 years 50k.

powertrain 5years /60kmiles

the 2.5 I5 makes 170ft/lbs of torque that is similar to a 2.5l v6.

Isn't the Focus powertrain that long also? And it gets 5 more MPG, wich is way, way more impartant these days than stupid HS boy racer penis [HP/TQ] measuring contests.