2012 Focus Order Status

GaryG

In all honesty, it really isn't. As much as it sucks for those of use who order retail cars, the system is the way it is for a very big reason. For those of us who have waited for many months for our vehicles, the Ford ordering system is geared at keeping the dealers inventory stocked. Our retail orders play a much smaller part than the 95% of vehicles that are sold as stock units. Larger dealers need more cars to keep them afloat so Ford rewards the larger dealers with more vehicle allocations. Problem is that even the larger dealers are losing sales opportunities because they are receiving fewer vehicles than they are selling for cars such as the Focus despite the fact that Ford is running the assembly lines full tilt right now. Right now a lot of dealers are hurting for vehicles and unfortunately we are all stuck in that same hole. If your dealer you ordered a car from is currently receiving 2012 focuses and yours has still yet to be built, I'd be checking with your dealer to see how they entered your order. Most retail orders over 3 months old have been built at this point unless the vehicle was ordered from a very small dealer that has absolutely no allocation, which is hard to believe because even the tinniest of dealers should have at least 1 or 2 foci allocated for any given month and if your was entered with a higher priority number as a retail unit should be, then yours should be well on its way.

*And you had to have expected that there may have been the possibility of production issues that came up on a new vehicle. If not, you should have done some more research. I don't mean to be rude, but all of the whining on these forums does get quite old sometimes.

1) Did you order a car? If so...when?

2) I know all about dealer allocations...I'm not an idiot. Trust me...I can almost guarantee I've researched this more than you.

3) I knew it would take a while to get my car to me and I didn't complain for the first 3 months until I started watching my car get shipped to people that ordered long after me...and not one or two...but many.

4) IT IS BROKEN IF THEY CAN'T GET THE CARS TO THE DEALERS.

5) At some point the customer needs to become a priority. If the big dealers need their cars...that's fine...but you have to slip something to the guy that's been waiting forever.

6) Don't talk to me or anyone else about whining until you've walked in our shoes. I did plenty of research and you wanna know something? Right on Ford's main page they touted "Available Early 2011"...it's not early anymore. I know there's going to be delays with a new plant and if we were all still sitting here waiting...that would be one thing...it's not all of us anymore...

Forgive me for "whining" but enough is enough...and nobody seems to listen no matter what you say or do anyway. The car may be great...but if you irritate your customer with ridiculous scheduling that leaves them thinking they don't matter...then in the end...the car could be the greatest in the world...and you've still lost a customer.

In all honesty, it really isn't. As much as it sucks for those of use who order retail cars, the system is the way it is for a very big reason. For those of us who have waited for many months for our vehicles, the Ford ordering system is geared at keeping the dealers inventory stocked. Our retail orders play a much smaller part than the 95% of vehicles that are sold as stock units. Larger dealers need more cars to keep them afloat so Ford rewards the larger dealers with more vehicle allocations. Problem is that even the larger dealers are losing sales opportunities because they are receiving fewer vehicles than they are selling for cars such as the Focus despite the fact that Ford is running the assembly lines full tilt right now. Right now a lot of dealers are hurting for vehicles and unfortunately we are all stuck in that same hole. If your dealer you ordered a car from is currently receiving 2012 focuses and yours has still yet to be built, I'd be checking with your dealer to see how they entered your order. Most retail orders over 3 months old have been built at this point unless the vehicle was ordered from a very small dealer that has absolutely no allocation, which is hard to believe because even the tinniest of dealers should have at least 1 or 2 foci allocated for any given month and if your was entered with a higher priority number as a retail unit should be, then yours should be well on its way.

*And you had to have expected that there may have been the possibility of production issues that came up on a new vehicle. If not, you should have done some more research. I don't mean to be rude, but all of the whining on these forums does get quite old sometimes.

Let me tell you something else...2 months ago I saw people on here complaining and I used to think..."cmon man...relax...it's not that big of a deal...what do you expect"... NOW...although I still think they were ridiculous considering the plant wasn't even really turning out cars yet...or was building them but hadn't released them... I finally see how they can get to this point. I guess everyone has their breaking point. I'm at mine. Last week when I had an ETA...I wasn't...I was frustrated...but not angry. Now...I'm angry.

This goes round and round......I was at the same braking point jlewis is and the experience, whether we are right or wrong, feels really sour after getting the car. Love the car, absolutly HATE the ordering experience.

What you have just posted is probably very true, in Ford's world. That does not make it right. As a customer, I don't care if someone thinks it's right or wrong. Most people that are in this situation are just frustrated and want answers and want to feel like someone gives a damn about them and their order. That's what needs to change internally. That's what Ford needs to do and quit making the dealers look like the bad guy, coming up with excuses and no answers ,they dont give dealers any information either, they just the middle man. Difference is they are the front line and the face of Ford so where do the customers come first, the dealer. Keep thinking this way and people will go elsewhere next time.

What jlewis posted, if you want to call it whining or whatever, is justified. If you don't like it don't read the thread on order status.

Edited by svtenthusiast

This goes round and round......I was at the same braking point jlewis is and the experience, whether we are right or wrong, feels really sour after getting the car. Love the car, absolutly HATE the ordering experience.

What you have just posted is probably very true, in Ford's world. That does not make it right. As a customer, I don't care if someone thinks it's right or wrong. Most people that are in this situation are just frustrated and want answers and want to feel like someone gives a damn about them and their order. That's what needs to change internally. That's what Ford needs to do and quit making the dealers look like the bad guy, coming up with excuses and no answers ,they dont give dealers any information either, they just the middle man. Difference is they are the front line and the face of Ford so where do the customers come first, the dealer. Keep thinking this way and people will go elsewhere next time.

Thank you. I'm so frustrated right now that I'm probably saying things I shouldn't. Thanks for giving a cooler headed version of what I'm trying to get across. You summed it up well.

Thanks and it's nice (but not nice for you guys) to see that I'm not the only one with this issue. I just can't believe how bad of a system this is... My car was actually built May 2nd...was scheduled to be delivered May 12th but never showed up. Now...it's just sitting there in Michigan...no explanation...nothing. They said there was a hold placed on it but then it was re-released on the 7th and has been sitting ever since. I'm just soooo frustrated. My biggest problem is when I see people who ordered and they had theirs in 6 weeks...that's just not right...NO allocation issue should cause that. Mine has been sitting for over 2 weeks...it's just got me so angry that there's no joy left in this purchase. Those around me are all walking away saying..."yikes...i'll never buy a Ford then...not if it's like this...." I dunno...just no joy left.

I definitely understand your frustration and I'd likely be feeling the same way if I was in your boat. I'm lucky enough that I have my car. I didn't have any problem with waiting until Ford had the OK to Ship before they scheduled retail orders. And I didn't have an issue with Ford not scheduling Titanium orders until they had a fix for MFT. I didn't have any issue not 'being the first with my car' because I wanted my car to be 'right'.

Fortunately for me, I ordered from one of the largest dealers in the US, so I was scheduled shortly after they started retail Titanium orders. Fortunately, there were no issues with my car and it went right on a train. Like several people have said, part of this has to do with allocation, priority, etc, so I if I ordered from a small dealer having a build date only a week after the first retail Titaniums wouldn't have bothered me too much. I wouldn't have even been bothered by Ford putting a hold on the car, which I'd assume was a sign something had to be fixed because I'd understand that Ford wasn't going to knowingly send out a car with issues. What I'd be really annoyed about is that it was released (fixed and ready to go) and has been sitting there since the 7th.

For me, I totally understand Ford taking their time to get it right but it's a no win situation for Ford as they have unhappy customers either way. If they build retail orders first and there's an issue, those orders would sit waiting to be fixed before being shipped or they ship out something that wasn't right and everyone would complain that it's first gen Focus all over again.

Location request:

1FAHP3N28CL154992

Ordered in December... just got the VIN today.

Thank you in advance.

You've had a VIN since April 14th. It was built on the May 10th.

In Transit Shipped Rail - Railcar # ETTX900288 (Norfolk Southern Corp )Ramp 4G, Mi Assebly Plnt, MI ETA May-31-2011

Can someone please check the status of mine? I ordered it January 18th...built May 2nd...and I just keep waiting. I'm so frustrated with Ford. I've seen so many people get their cars that ordered as much as 2 months after me...cars JUST LIKE MINE...even color was the same...options...all of it. It's to the point now that I'm not even excited...just angry. I had an ETA of the 12th and it never showed up...now who knows what's going on... Anyway, if someone can check...I'd appreciate it...thanks in advance. My VIN is 1FAHP3N27CL152568.

Awaiting shipment. No ETA.

Awaiting shipment. No ETA.

This is what I'm talking about and where my frustration grows. The guy two posts up...didn't even have his car built til the 10th...mine was built the 2nd and re-released on the 7th...but his car is on a railcar on it's way...mine has no ETA...nothing... I'm so tired of this.

You've had a VIN since April 14th. It was built on the May 10th.

In Transit Shipped Rail - Railcar # ETTX900288 (Norfolk Southern Corp) Ramp 4G, Mi Assembly Plant, MI ETA May-31-2011

Thank you very much.

I just got the VIN because the dealer hasn't contacted me since I placed my order (on 12/11/10), so I called him yesterday.

I am a bit surprised at the ~2 week shipping time. I knew trains were slow but...

Edited by Kabigon

Anyway...thanks for checking Pioneer :(

I wish I could give you more answers. To me, a retail order should be built regardless of dealer allocation on a first come, first served basis. I also don't understand why a third shift hasn't been added to Focus and Explorer production.

I hope the car exceeds your expectations and is worth it in the end.

I wish I could give you more answers. To me, a retail order should be built regardless of dealer allocation on a first come, first served basis. I also don't understand why a third shift hasn't been added to Focus and Explorer production.

I hope the car exceeds your expectations and is worth it in the end.

Thanks Pioneer. I honestly don't think it can even come close. I'm angry all the time anymore. It's like standing in line for a concert for days...and then when the gates open...the security guards start calling the names of people way behind you. It makes no sense. My car was built the 2nd...released to be shipped the 3rd...got an ETA on the 4th or 5th...then the lot was put on hold for a day or so...then it was re-released on the 7th. It seems that if your car is put on hold...if even for a day...it screws you for weeks. If it is built and there are not problems it goes out fast...if not...you will wait terribly long. It's not fair and it's not right. My car should be here by now and someone should be making sure it happens.

This is what I'm talking about and where my frustration grows. The guy two posts up...didn't even have his car built til the 10th...mine was built the 2nd and re-released on the 7th...but his car is on a railcar on it's way...mine has no ETA...nothing... I'm so tired of this.

Yeah mine was built on the 28th and held up somewhere around the same time as yours. My dealer called me today and said he tried calling a couple people to try and get this thing out but got nowhere, to his credit, he actually seems to be trying. For that and for the overall positive experience I've had with them, I'll give it another week before I go over their head to corporate and start raising a stink.

It just seems that any sort of hiccup in the process sends the car to the back of the line, which is frankly unacceptable. Logistically there are issues that need to be worked out. There are 22 Ford dealerships within 45 kilometers of downtown Toronto, I'm sure they could find room somewhere on a truck to put my car onto if they really tried.

I've been watching this one pretty close, and after some of this stuff, I talked to my ford sales manager I work with for my corporation that we get our company cars from. And although I really couldn't get much of an answer why some cars were built with similar or same options as a car ordered a month or two later. But I did get some insight to the transporting portion of the orders.

Ford has absolutely no control over the delivery once it leaves their sites. They contract out the transportation, and much of the ultimate delays comes from poor infrastructure with rail shipping companies. Most rail companies will load as much onto a train car as possible. And in most cases, vehicles take up a whole car on their own, so these shipping companies place low priority on vehicles, and try and cram as much other cargo in other vars as possible to maximize profit, and then load cars on once everything else is. So thats why your vehicles may seem to sit for days/weeks at certain storage yards. And then once your car gets to its final rail destination, they have to wait until a semi has a full load going in your direction before that will leave. So for those with issues with delivery once its on the rail, your :censored: should be directed at rail companies. Although I'm sure in contracts, Ford could find a way to speed up that process, slightly.

Some good news, I just test drove a titanium, similar to mine, just without a few features to remind me how great this car is. Although I have not yet waited as long as some, I still believe it is in all ways fantastic! :happy feet:

Yeah mine was built on the 28th and held up somewhere around the same time as yours. My dealer called me today and said he tried calling a couple people to try and get this thing out but got nowhere, to his credit, he actually seems to be trying. For that and for the overall positive experience I've had with them, I'll give it another week before I go over their head to corporate and start raising a stink.

It just seems that any sort of hiccup in the process sends the car to the back of the line, which is frankly unacceptable. Logistically there are issues that need to be worked out. There are 22 Ford dealerships within 45 kilometers of downtown Toronto, I'm sure they could find room somewhere on a truck to put my car onto if they really tried.

You're exactly right. Anything goes wrong...even for a second...and your going to wait weeks...maybe months to get it after it's built. I told my wife...I've never been so frustrated and angry with something in my life...and I'm paying $28,000 to be upset. I just wish there was someone at Ford who wanted to make things right.

I've been watching this one pretty close, and after some of this stuff, I talked to my ford sales manager I work with for my corporation that we get our company cars from. And although I really couldn't get much of an answer why some cars were built with similar or same options as a car ordered a month or two later. But I did get some insight to the transporting portion of the orders.

Ford has absolutely no control over the delivery once it leaves their sites. They contract out the transportation, and much of the ultimate delays comes from poor infrastructure with rail shipping companies. Most rail companies will load as much onto a train car as possible. And in most cases, vehicles take up a whole car on their own, so these shipping companies place low priority on vehicles, and try and cram as much other cargo in other vars as possible to maximize profit, and then load cars on once everything else is. So thats why your vehicles may seem to sit for days/weeks at certain storage yards. And then once your car gets to its final rail destination, they have to wait until a semi has a full load going in your direction before that will leave. So for those with issues with delivery once its on the rail, your :censored: should be directed at rail companies. Although I'm sure in contracts, Ford could find a way to speed up that process, slightly.

Some good news, I just test drove a titanium, similar to mine, just without a few features to remind me how great this car is. Although I have not yet waited as long as some, I still believe it is in all ways fantastic! :happy feet:

I appreciate your insight and explanation. I'm sure some if not all of it is right. What's hard to take though is hearing it from someone who has their car. That's not a slam on you. I'm just saying that our frustration is incredibly high and please forgive me if that came out wrong. I just want my car...the one that was built over two weeks ago and had an eta and missed it already. It may be the rail carriers fault but I trust ford to do what it takes to hire people to get my car to me in a timely manner.

My car is being shipped via truck, not rail...so it should be a straight shot. And I'm fairly certain ford has the final say which car's leave their property and in what order.

My car is being shipped via truck, not rail...so it should be a straight shot.

Don't be so sure about that. I am tracking a Focus for a fellow employee. It has to go to a dealership in Toledo, OH. That is by truck also. It left the Michigan Assembly plant on April 21st and as of today it still isn't at the dealer.

Sorry about the horror story. I just don't want you to be disappointed if it takes longer than a couple of days.

I appreciate your insight and explanation. I'm sure some if not all of it is right. What's hard to take though is hearing it from someone who has their car. That's not a slam on you. I'm just saying that our frustration is incredibly high and please forgive me if that came out wrong. I just want my car...the one that was built over two weeks ago and had an eta and missed it already. It may be the rail carriers fault but I trust ford to do what it takes to hire people to get my car to me in a timely manner.

Oh, I certainly don't have my car yet either! I'm in the same boat as most of you. And I can't/wont make excuses for their allocation system, but just wanted to make sure people weren't always blaming Ford for poor delivery times and uncertain ETAs. :banghead:

Also, from what I've read elsewhere, if your more than a few hundred miles from the Dearborn assembly, your car will spend some time on rail, unfortunately. :angry2:

I lied, I will make one excuse for Ford. Experience knowing a few others that have made pre-orders from Ford for other vehicles, and experiencing similar things, this is not an isolated instance. But if I had to make a guess, it has some financial implications for how they're building and allocating. I'd be interested to know, those who are experiencing such delays, if you know your priority number on your orders.

Thanks Pioneer. I honestly don't think it can even come close. I'm angry all the time anymore. It's like standing in line for a concert for days...and then when the gates open...the security guards start calling the names of people way behind you. It makes no sense. My car was built the 2nd...released to be shipped the 3rd...got an ETA on the 4th or 5th...then the lot was put on hold for a day or so...then it was re-released on the 7th. It seems that if your car is put on hold...if even for a day...it screws you for weeks. If it is built and there are not problems it goes out fast...if not...you will wait terribly long. It's not fair and it's not right. My car should be here by now and someone should be making sure it happens.

I understand some of your frustrations considering that you currently do not have an ETA but...

What is fair? There are people that placed their order well before yours but your car was built before theirs.

My point is this: I am not upset in the slightest (even though I placed my order more than 5 months ago) because I had no real expectations about the entire process.

I plan to keep this car for a long time so the important thing is the quality, not getting it fast.

Edited by Kabigon

I understand some of your frustrations considering that you currently do not have an ETA but...

What is fair? There are people that placed their order well before yours but your car was built before theirs.

My point is this: I am not upset in the slightest (even though I placed my order more than 5 months ago) because I had no real expectations about the entire process.

I plan to keep this car for a long time so the important thing is the quality, not getting it fast.

It's great to be in a position where you have no expectations and I have to say that I wish my attitude toward it was more like yours right now. Unfortunately, it's not. I'm driving a 25 year old car right now that I took out of storage because I needed something to drive until my new one came. I'm pliling miles on a car that honestly...should be sleeping in a garage somewhere, lol. As far as your "What is fair?" comment...I completely agree with you. I absolutely think that all of those people who placed orders before me should have had their cars built and shipped to them before mine. But...all of ours should have been built and shipped before the people who ordered recently. I keep hearing people say things like "I don't care how long it takes...I want the car to be right..." So do I! If there are problems that need ironed out...that's fine...and I didn't complain during January, February, or March... I know they had issues and I said all along that I want the car to be right before it is shipped to me. Here's the thing though...they've been shipping thousands of cars...I hope that by now...it's right...know what I mean? Theyr'e in full production...but they're producing very much out of order. I shouldn't see a person on here who ordered in 2010 but still doesn't have their car...yet see a person who ordered 6 weeks ago...driving theirs...I just shouldn't see that. It's not right. "Quality" didn't keep them from shipping to the guy that ordered 6 weeks ago. And...if there is a HOLD on a group of cars (as there was on mine for 1 or 2 days)...that's great...check it out...make sure it's right...I'm good with that. I want my car right. What's NOT right...is that the hold was lifted on the 7th and it has literally sat since then. Yet this other guy's car was built 3 days AFTER my hold was released...and his car is on his way to him. I said this before, but it seems like there's a major flaw in the system...if a car is built and gets any hold on it's lot at ALL...it will set it back really far. From build to my first ETA was 3 days... it's been 11 since my second release. It's almost like people forget to tell the rail workers that the cars are re-released. It just makes no sense. If everyone was still waiting for cars to start shipping...that would be one thing...then I'd say it's quality for all and they need to get it worked out...that's not the case though...it's just unfair planning and shipment practices that have many of us frustrated and unhappy.

I definitely understand your frustration and I'd likely be feeling the same way if I was in your boat. I'm lucky enough that I have my car. I didn't have any problem with waiting until Ford had the OK to Ship before they scheduled retail orders. And I didn't have an issue with Ford not scheduling Titanium orders until they had a fix for MFT. I didn't have any issue not 'being the first with my car' because I wanted my car to be 'right'.

For me, I totally understand Ford taking their time to get it right but it's a no win situation for Ford as they have unhappy customers either way. If they build retail orders first and there's an issue, those orders would sit waiting to be fixed before being shipped or they ship out something that wasn't right and everyone would complain that it's first gen Focus all over again.

The thing is, they don't have a fix for MFT. Even ours, that we waited forever for, still have the same problems with MFT. Some of the cars that were held to build until the end of April still have the typical first build bugs (including mine built on the 29th of April.) so these statements are incorrect and only makes the experience that much worse--we could of had the cars 2 months earlier with the same amount of issues.

The thing is, they don't have a fix for MFT. Even ours, that we waited forever for, still have the same problems with MFT. Some of the cars that were held to build until the end of April still have the typical first build bugs (including mine built on the 29th of April.) so these statements are incorrect and only makes the experience that much worse--we could of had the cars 2 months earlier with the same amount of issues.

Exactly...I want it to be right too...but in the end if it wasn't right anyway...it just makes the wait that much worse. Another guy on here got his after waiting for everything to be perfect...and the park assist didn't work...AT ALL! He had it back to the dealer within a week to fix that on his brand new car that he'd waited forever for. Turns out that the cable was disconnected...not a big deal...but still. Another guy has a cracked dash already on his brand new focus. Thank goodness we're all waiting for Ford to get it perfect before our cars are sent out. The truth is...I'm not stupid...I know that there are going to be issues with any car...perfection is unobtainable...things will happen...but yeah...to wait this long and still have problems...is just another irritant. I hung up with a customer service manager a couple of hours ago and she told me again that there's nothing that anyone can do. When I mentioned that I'm thinking about cancelling the order and getting something else...she said that I needed to contact my dealer to carry that out. See what I mean?...they don't even care if I cancel. She kept throwing the same garbage excuses at me that everyone else does...allocation...are you sure your order is EXACTLY the same as these other people that are getting theirs?...blah blah blah. I told her that at this point...it doesn't matter...we're not talking about a couple of week difference...we're talking about a much larger time swing. I also told her about people waiting as much as 2 months to get their cars after they were built...and she said..."uh huh??? yeah?" almost like..."so what?..." It's unbelievable...just get me my car. I sure hope that in 10 years...when I get my next car...it's not like this. I can almost guarantee it won't be a Ford.

I never said they had a fix for MFT but said "I didn't have an issue with Ford not scheduling Titanium orders until they had a fix for MFT." I can't say whether Ford fixed the specific issue that lead to others statements about that specific hold in production of retail Titaniums or just decided that they weren't going to have a fix in a timely fashion and went ahead with production. If the prior statements that 90% of MFT equipped cars were failing testing is correct, I'd feel confident that they fixed something because it seems like it's a lot less than 90% of MFTs that are having issues today.