Troubles trying to buy in the Ford Family

Recently, I decided that I need to replace my aging 01 Lincoln LS. For it's age, it doesn't have too many miles (105k) but AC went out at the end of last summer and I'm pretty sure that I'm going to need some coil packs soon. Thanks to my father working at a Ford stamping plant for 42 years, I get the zplan. I live in the city of Chicago and probably drive 8k/year so gas mileage wasn't a huge concern. I've always been a Ford guy so I made a list of cars to check out. Mind you, they are all over the board.

Started looking at a Mustang GT and almost pulled the trigger. Three things kept my from buying though. The manual transmission issue is the largest. Practicality and that I would have to add another 1k +for snow tires (even then it would have to sit for a lot of the winter)were the other two. Next up was the fusion sport. Pratical and somewhat sporty seemed to fit the bill. I optioned it out with all wheel drive and pretty much loaded. Seemed nice, then I realized that I could get an MKZ sport for a couple grand more. With the financing (0), zplan, and 1500 cash back price was close to Fusion and with a nicer interior quieter ride, with most of the sport.

I found a dealer in the Chicago area and put in an order for a 2011 MKZ, AWD, with sport appearance package. This was two weeks before they stopped taking orders for 11's. I called the dealer after four weeks to see if they had an update (vin?). My salesperson checked and informed me that they got word that the order had been canceled, as Ford stopped making 2011 MKZ's and couldn't fulfill the order. He said I could order a 12 but we need to add the electronics package (navigation) to get the sport appearance package for the 12's and the cash back would not apply, thus taking me past my payment limits.

Now, I don't know what to do. I can't find any MKZ's out there that either aren't just base fwd or fully loaded. Even finding one with a sport package is getting ridiculous. I don't want to go out of the Ford family but may be forced to do so. Can anyone tell me if this is a normal practice to cancel orders? Has anyone heard of this happening? Also, anyone got any ideas for my next step?

Thanks

Recently, I decided that I need to replace my aging 01 Lincoln LS. For it's age, it doesn't have too many miles (105k) but AC went out at the end of last summer and I'm pretty sure that I'm going to need some coil packs soon. Thanks to my father working at a Ford stamping plant for 42 years, I get the zplan. I live in the city of Chicago and probably drive 8k/year so gas mileage wasn't a huge concern. I've always been a Ford guy so I made a list of cars to check out. Mind you, they are all over the board.

Started looking at a Mustang GT and almost pulled the trigger. Three things kept my from buying though. The manual transmission issue is the largest. Practicality and that I would have to add another 1k +for snow tires (even then it would have to sit for a lot of the winter)were the other two. Next up was the fusion sport. Pratical and somewhat sporty seemed to fit the bill. I optioned it out with all wheel drive and pretty much loaded. Seemed nice, then I realized that I could get an MKZ sport for a couple grand more. With the financing (0), zplan, and 1500 cash back price was close to Fusion and with a nicer interior quieter ride, with most of the sport.

I found a dealer in the Chicago area and put in an order for a 2011 MKZ, AWD, with sport appearance package. This was two weeks before they stopped taking orders for 11's. I called the dealer after four weeks to see if they had an update (vin?). My salesperson checked and informed me that they got word that the order had been canceled, as Ford stopped making 2011 MKZ's and couldn't fulfill the order. He said I could order a 12 but we need to add the electronics package (navigation) to get the sport appearance package for the 12's and the cash back would not apply, thus taking me past my payment limits.

Now, I don't know what to do. I can't find any MKZ's out there that either aren't just base fwd or fully loaded. Even finding one with a sport package is getting ridiculous. I don't want to go out of the Ford family but may be forced to do so. Can anyone tell me if this is a normal practice to cancel orders? Has anyone heard of this happening? Also, anyone got any ideas for my next step?

Thanks

It's perfectly normal. They have to cut it off somewhere and there were probably a lot of orders ahead of yours and they simply ran out of time on the 2011 clock.

Did you ask the dealer to do a search? They can search within several states to see if they can find one the way you want it. Or Ford will do the search for you from their website.

Chances are the cash back on the 2012 will be close to the same since nothing is really changing. But if one package puts you past your payment limit then you should probably be looking at a cheaper car anyway like the Fusion.

Did you ask the dealer to do a search? They can search within several states to see if they can find one the way you want it. Or Ford will do the search for you from their website.

Chances are the cash back on the 2012 will be close to the same since nothing is really changing. But if one package puts you past your payment limit then you should probably be looking at a cheaper car anyway like the Fusion.

I'm glad it's not out of the norm but am bummed.

Dealer has done a multi state search, and has found one one that is close to what I want in Northern Wisconsin. Unfortunately, it's red and I do not want a red car.

It's not that I can't afford a higher payment, but dropping more than 600/month on a car payment is my personal limit. I want to keep saving and investing at my current rate. The electronics package adds almost 3k to sticker. I don't want a navigation system (not sure why it's required for the sport package). Plus the unknown of whether I would get the 1500 in incentives and 0% interest rate. Those two things may make me look at an A4, something I didn't want to do.

I'm glad it's not out of the norm but am bummed.

Dealer has done a multi state search, and has found one one that is close to what I want in Northern Wisconsin. Unfortunately, it's red and I do not want a red car.

It's not that I can't afford a higher payment, but dropping more than 600/month on a car payment is my personal limit. I want to keep saving and investing at my current rate. The electronics package adds almost 3k to sticker. I don't want a navigation system (not sure why it's required for the sport package). Plus the unknown of whether I would get the 1500 in incentives and 0% interest rate. Those two things may make me look at an A4, something I didn't want to do.

Why not a Fusion Sport? There isn't a tremendous difference at the moment.

Why not a Fusion Sport? There isn't a tremendous difference at the moment.

Look at the two brands he is considering. You can't stick your pinkie out while sipping on a latte in a Ford. You need a Lincoln, Audi, or maybe even a BMW for that.

To some, the name and image mean more that the substance of the car itself.

This was two weeks before they stopped taking orders for 11's. I called the dealer after four weeks to see if they had an update (vin?). My salesperson checked and informed me that they got word that the order had been canceled, as Ford stopped making 2011 MKZ's and couldn't fulfill the order. He said I could order a 12 but we need to add the electronics package (navigation) to get the sport appearance package for the 12's and the cash back would not apply, thus taking me past my payment limits.

Thanks

jcartwright, one of my friends (in the Chicago area, no less) had the same issue ordering a 2011 MKZ Hybrid. Apparently the cutoff for 2011 model year orders on the hybrid model was earlier than he anticipated (in November 2010). He ended up purchasing a stock unit from a dealership in Wisconsin, because none of the MKZ Hybrids in stock or in transit at Chicagoland dealerships at the time had his preferred equipment and color combinations.

Did you get your order submitted in early April 2011? The final order date for non hybrid 2011 model year MKZs appeared to be 4/15/2011. Scheduling for the 2012 commences on 5/05/2011 and production start is 6/06/2011 (tentative).

Look at the two brands he is considering. You can't stick your pinkie out while sipping on a latte in a Ford. You need a Lincoln, Audi, or maybe even a BMW for that.

In Chicago, only a Lincoln will do. Illinois, as the state proudly proclaims on its license plates, is the Land of Lincoln. ;)

To some, the name and image mean more that the substance of the car itself.

Well played pioneer but no. I wouldn't be caught dead in a 3 series! I drink Dunkin Donuts coffee and prefer it black.

I do like the Fusion, as it's a very nice car. I wouldn't mind owning one. I'm well aware that under the skin of the MKZ and Fusion are virtually the same. However, the differences both content and style, set them apart and I prefer the Lincoln. For me, the style, interior, and refinement are what drew me from the Fusion to the MKZ. The fact the a very well equipped Fusion Sport while nice is only a few grand shy (in my case) of very well equipped standard (base) MKZ with the 2 options I wanted.

I'm hardly a guy that lusts after a BMW, Mercedes, or Audi. While they are very nice cars , I don't have a trust fund to dip into when they need repairs. Where I live, there is a high amount of douchebaggery when it comes to those cars. I would prefer to keep it a big three brand (preferably Ford/Lincoln). The only reason I even thought about an A4, I drove my friends 2011 and really enjoyed it. It comes with a manual and awd. Without going crazy on the options, it's in the same price range.

What specifically are you looking for? I checked on 101A and 102A packages with the Sport Appearance in AWD in the Chicago region and there are plenty in non red colors.

2011 MKZ production just scheduled out a couple weeks ago for April/May balance out. Some hybrids were cut due to battery shortages. Any allocation your dealer recieved in late March was for 2012 start up.

I would definitely try other dealerships, you'll often find that many dealerships don't have trading relationships with each other so they aren't surveying everybody's inventory. It also doesn't hurt to get competitive quotes.

If the MKZ is what you really want, I wouldn't let the electronics package get in the way...you may be glad you did!

It sounds like you are intent on staying in a similar vehicle, but I would encourage you to look at something different like an MKX. I always say that jumping into an SUV was the best thing I ever did...and it's a quick beast now!

I would also encourage you to look at the Fusion Sport which is largely the same car, and take the cost difference and put it into your savings. The depreciation on the Fusion is also smaller if that helps make you feel better about that decision.

Your other logical option is to go back to Jaguar (your DEW98...evolved). If you've liked the LS (like I have) you might fall in love with an XF. Screw that budget limit (or just get an '09 or '08 coming off lease).

It's still got some Ford DNA (fwiw), and Jeremy Clarkson would approve. I kid, a little.

Your other logical option is to go back to Jaguar (your DEW98...evolved). If you've liked the LS (like I have) you might fall in love with an XF. Screw that budget limit (or just get an '09 or '08 coming off lease).

It's still got some Ford DNA (fwiw), and Jeremy Clarkson would approve. I kid, a little.

His best bet for a true LS replacement is a CTS...priced and sized similarly with similar attributes...but I dare not make that recommendation here ;).

I've leased a 2007 AWD MKZ before and it was a surprisingly quick and fun car, not too dissimilar to an LS. I'm not too happy with the current MKZ, but that has more to do with the lack of modern luxury car features which clearly aren't at issue here. It's hard to recommend any of Ford's sedans right now when they are on the verge of major updates and they lack many of Ford's most exciting tech (cabin and engine).

Edited by BORG

I would just do the search on Lincoln.com and keep expanding out. (You'll need other zip codes to re-run the search, because I never found a very easy way to take my home zip code and just keep pushing out further). I am willing to bet your preferred car is out there in Northwest IN or Southern lower MI. If the dealer you're working with now doesn't want to bother, then screw it---find the car, contact the dealer yourself and work it out. He may ship it economically or if it IS Northwest IN, you can easily go there yourself.

If does end up in WI somewhere, eh, well, I guess we'll let it slide as an economic boost from another Illinoisan, like we do with the rest of you. (I kid! Sort of).

So a Fusion Sport fit the bill until you found out that a 2011 MKZ was only a little bit more. Now that you've found out that it will be more than a little bit more, you've decided maybe an Audi instead? Am I missing something? Because you found a deal on a luxury car (and can't get what you want) you now have to have a luxury car? I realize you got excited about the MKZ, but before you were excited about it, you wanted the Fusion. Get it, it's a great car.

You will get a better deal on a Ford product than any other car. Period. You're a fool to pass that up (I'm in the same situation with Z-Plan, and I never have).

• Like 1

What specifically are you looking for? I checked on 101A and 102A packages with the Sport Appearance in AWD in the Chicago region and there are plenty in non red colors.

2011 MKZ production just scheduled out a couple weeks ago for April/May balance out. Some hybrids were cut due to battery shortages. Any allocation your dealer recieved in late March was for 2012 start up.

That's the problem, I don't want 101a or 102a. My order was just 100a with the sports appearance package in AWD form. Apparently, this year they only allow the sport appearance package with at least 101a.

The dealer I ordered it from is small and I'm not sure what dealers they trade with. I know there is one probably out there, it's just finding it. I'm not giving up just yet. i'm hoping for silver or grey, and possibly black.

So a Fusion Sport fit the bill until you found out that a 2011 MKZ was only a little bit more. Now that you've found out that it will be more than a little bit more, you've decided maybe an Audi instead? Am I missing something? Because you found a deal on a luxury car (and can't get what you want) you now have to have a luxury car? I realize you got excited about the MKZ, but before you were excited about it, you wanted the Fusion. Get it, it's a great car.

You will get a better deal on a Ford product than any other car. Period. You're a fool to pass that up (I'm in the same situation with Z-Plan, and I never have).

When I started looking at the Fusion sport, I wasn't aware there was sport package on the MKZ. I wanted to keep some sporty intentions. I absolutely don't have to have a luxury car but if I prefer the qualities over a non luxury car then why shouldn't I. While the A4 is a tad smaller (they have grown) it's in the same price range, it comes with a manual, has awd and is a bit more sporty. There is price overlap between the loaded non lux brands and entry level luxury in my price range (30-38k).

Look, I want Ford to succeed and have been a Ford guy all my life. A/Z plans are great and you can get a better deal than just walking in with no plan. The fact of the matter is though, I would be doing a disservice to myself by being totally blind and just buying a Ford product just based on the A/Z plans and not the merit of the vehicle. Why wouldn't I look at all my options in that price range? Z plan is a definite plus and will go into my decision making, as will being a big 3 product. Even if I didn't have any Z plan or been a Ford guy , I would still look at Ford because I believe their products are very competitive. If this would have been 10 years ago, I don't think I could have said that.

I saw one in NE Ohio, if that isn't too far for you. 2011 MKZ AWD Sterling Gray, Rapid Spec 100A, Power Moonroof and Sport Appearance Package are the only options, MSRP $39,840. This was through an internet search, so you would have to call to make sure the car has not been sold. Let me know if you are interested and I will get you the contact info.

As an owner of Audi A4 Convert I can tell you that I have this small fear always in the back of mind now that the warranty is over that if somethings goes wrong I am about to= get taken to the cleaners for the repair. I have had a couple of problems that were taken care during the warranty phase but that has been over for a year. As soon as I am done paying for my daughters education (twins at BU) the car is going. I also have Ford Edge which had a couple of transmission issues since we have owned it so the Audi has been no worse than the Ford as far issues during the first four years. It is just the cost of parts to repair the Audi scare me now that the warranty is over. The Edge has a little less than 6 months left on the power train warranty and I am hoping that the transmission issues have been fixed . If you are only going to keep the AUdi for 4 years or 50,000 it shouldn't be a problem, after that ??????.

That's the problem, I don't want 101a or 102a. My order was just 100a with the sports appearance package in AWD form. Apparently, this year they only allow the sport appearance package with at least 101a.

The dealer I ordered it from is small and I'm not sure what dealers they trade with. I know there is one probably out there, it's just finding it. I'm not giving up just yet. i'm hoping for silver or grey, and possibly black.

Willmar MN - Mills Ford Lincoln - AWD SIlver 100A w/ Sport Appearance

Warren OH - Klaben Ford Lincoln - AWD Sterling Gray 100A w/ Sport Appearance

Jameston ND - RM Stoudt - AWD White Metallic 100A / Sport Appearance

Those are your best best for now. There may be more in transit.

I am a very happy 6-month owner of a loaded 2010 MKZ AWD. I highly recommend the car! I get compliments on it almost every day around here in the D.C. area, where import luxury cars are preferred. I researched pre-owned, less than 1-year-old Lincolns on cars.com. Picked up a $42,800 MSRP Lincoln for $28,000 with a mere 6,600 miles!!! It has over 3 years left on the bumper-to-bumper warranty and I also inherited the previous owner's premium maintenance and extended warranty for free!