GM's Dan Akerson Calls for $1 Fed. Gas Tax

http://www.fnno.com/video/analysis/331-general-motors-ceo-rallying-higher-gas-taxes-analysis

"General Motors (NYSE:GM) CEO Dan Akerson recently spoke about the need for the federal government to boost the gast tax by as much as $1 per gallon in order to push consumers toward more fuel efficient vehicles. Akerson also believes the government will get rid of its remaining 26% stake in the company in the next six to 12 months."

"Akerson also believes the government will get rid of its remaining 26% stake in the company in the next six to 12 months."

As opposed to GM actually re-paying the Government the money it loaned them and got stocks instead of $$$....my guess is, US government will sell stocks at a loss, and after it divests itself from GM, the stocks will then "take off".

I read the article in the Detroit News this morning about it, Here's the LINK--->The Detroit News and it is just totally amazing that this guy can come in and say we need to tax this and tax that. Maybe if you read the interview that he did with "the News" that he also states that taxes should be raised on the middle class and the rich anyway in additon to cutting the budgets.

For him to make such ascinine statements like this,(raising gas taxes) especially in an area that is still wrought with high unemployment/underemployment. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why me, my family and my friends along with more people that I know that will continue to refuse to buy anymore of GM's products.

Edited by Bored of Pisteon

Well, at least Akerson's commentary about the impact of higher fuel taxes on automobile purchasing habits makes sense. Bill Ford has expressed the same sentiment in the past.

But who's going to afford the gas let alone the payments on their already overpriced vehicles?

Would you take a risk and finance a loan for a $30,000 car in this economy? I won't. No thanks.

But who's going to afford the gas let alone the payments on their already overpriced vehicles?

Would you take a risk and finance a loan for a $30,000 car in this economy? I won't. No thanks.

:headscratch:

I did just that. I don't consider my vehicle to be at all overpriced either. :shrug: Perceived value is all relative...

:headscratch:

I did just that. I don't consider my vehicle to be at all overpriced either. :shrug: Perceived value is all relative...

Depends on the vehicle and use...But in 10 years and beyond when all these high-tech gizmos start failing in these newer cars, cars you can't even work on yourself. Then what will you do then? Don't people realize how much it would cost to repair them? (looking into the future) I'll stick with the older stuff. Less cost in the long run.

Depends on the vehicle and use...But in 10 years and beyond when all these high-tech gizmos start failing in these newer cars, cars you can't even work on yourself. Then what will you do then? Don't people realize how much it would cost to repair them? (looking into the future) I'll stick with the older stuff. Less cost in the long run.

The failure rate will probably be pretty darn low for most of the electronics. And as more of these gizmos become available, the cost for repairs and replacements will come down as well. Besides, I don't plan on still owning my Edge 10 years from now anyway.

Raise price of gas, then SUV sales tank, GM profits down. Only if the $ would go to roads and bridges, should maybe a 50 cent tax. But none of this Euro 'tax gas $5 so only elite people can drive' sh!t

Aussies Julia Gillard trying to force global warming carbon taxes down the throats of its people, JPD has not mentioned it much. Its not just a Euro thing...

JDP will be trading his Falcon in for KA soon when it becomes outrageously expensive to fill up.

The failure rate will probably be pretty darn low for most of the electronics. And as more of these gizmos become available, the cost for repairs and replacements will come down as well. Besides, I don't plan on still owning my Edge 10 years from now anyway.

If it came down to it, I'd buy a replacement gizmo from the local scrapyard rather than pay top dollar at a dealer but with that there comes risk... NO WARRANTY.

I'm fine with what I got... (2 early 90's F150's and 2 early 00's Town Cars). One of them fails, I have parts. ;) Or I would keep buying used trucks and cars that would interchange with the ones I got...

If it came down to it, I'd buy a replacement gizmo from the local scrapyard rather than pay top dollar at a dealer but with that there comes risk... NO WARRANTY.

I'm fine with what I got... (2 early 90's F150's and 2 early 00's Town Cars). One of them fails, I have parts. ;) Or I would keep buying used trucks and cars that would interchange with the ones I got...

That works for some and only to a certain point in most cases. Eventually you end up replacing more parts than it's worth. Friend of mine is doing something similar now with his old Mazda Protege. Has served him well for almost 200,000 miles, but he's been throwing so much money at it the past few months to keep it on the road that he's now considering finally dumping it. (He's looking real hard at the 2012 Focus too. :woohoo: )

That works for some and only to a certain point in most cases. Eventually you end up replacing more parts than it's worth. Friend of mine is doing something similar now with his old Mazda Protege. Has served him well for almost 200,000 miles, but he's been throwing so much money at it the past few months to keep it on the road that he's now considering finally dumping it. (He's looking real hard at the 2012 Focus too. :woohoo: )

It works for me as one of my Town Cars has 428,000 miles on it on the original motor and trans and virtually everything has been replaced on it. Maintain it properly and it will go the distance. I also use Mobil 1 in it.

But back to the gas tax thing. I just don't see it happening. And any politican that dares to bring that up certainly will be viewed as a villain.

It works for me as one of my Town Cars has 428,000 miles on it on the original motor and trans and virtually everything has been replaced on it. Maintain it properly and it will go the distance. I also use Mobil 1 in it.

You must admit though, 428,000 miles on an original motor and trans is far more often the exception than the rule. Back to my friend's Protege though, his engine/trans has been fine too. But you add in things like an alternator, shocks, water pump, various other little breaks and fixes, and you're still talking a gradual accumulation of a few grand worth of "minor" repairs.

But back to the gas tax thing. I just don't see it happening. And any politican that dares to bring that up certainly will be viewed as a villain.

This I would agree on, at least for now. I can see it changing in the future though, depending on how successful the feds are in the coming years at reigning in debts and spending.

You must admit though, 428,000 miles on an original motor and trans is far more often the exception than the rule. Back to my friend's Protege though, his engine/trans has been fine too. But you add in things like an alternator, shocks, water pump, various other little breaks and fixes, and you're still talking a gradual accumulation of a few grand worth of "minor" repairs.

And that doesn't take into account the issues of not having reliable transportation, not being able to make it to work for an important meeting, etc.

And that doesn't take into account the issues of not having reliable transportation, not being able to make it to work for an important meeting, etc.

Yeah, my friend is considering the new car now because he's about to become a manager for stores at 3 different locations that he'll constantly need to be floating between. The Protege has been reliable, but he knows he's rolling the dice now.

The problem with a gas tax is that it doesn't only affect car buying and usage. If the tax is on fuel, not just gasoline, it will be placed upon diesel whill hurt commerce by making shipping and receiving more expensive.

You have to think carefully before resorting to taxes. More taxes can bring in less revenue if it causes the public to spend less as a gas tax is collected by how much you spend.

The problem with a gas tax is that it doesn't only affect car buying and usage. If the tax is on fuel, not just gasoline, it will be placed upon diesel whill hurt commerce by making shipping and receiving more expensive.

You have to think carefully before resorting to taxes. More taxes can bring in less revenue if it causes the public to spend less as a gas tax is collected by how much you spend.

Exactly! A rise in gas prices affects everything from the food we eat to the close we wear to the vacations we take, to the amount of money we can save since we have to pay more to get to work. A large increase in gas prices has a very drastic negative effect on the economy.

Exactly! A rise in gas prices affects everything from the food we eat to the close we wear to the vacations we take, to the amount of money we can save since we have to pay more to get to work. A large increase in gas prices has a very drastic negative effect on the economy.

But these elite wine and cheese tasters don't get that because it doesn't affect them. Well, eventually it will...

And unfortunately for some of the so called "middle class" people, some of them have that mentality also. Especially in Michigan.

From the Detroit News article, A government-imposed tax hike, Akerson believes, will prompt more people to buy small cars.....

Hey, not everyone can fit into your small cars. Besides, I need a truck!

I can never have a "small" car running a business.

"People will start buying more Cruzes and they will start buying less Suburbans."

Spoken like a true Marxist. I will buy what I want, when I want. Maybe if they built vehicles people wanted, they wouldn't be begging the Gov't to artificially raise gas prices to move overpriced garbage like the Volt and Cruze off the lots. I really hope these dopes go out of business. They are becoming dangerous to the American way of life.

Edited by Bryan1

Most businesses can be run out of a small car. It's just that the typical small business owner (at least in my neck of the woods) needs a F350 Crew Cab 4x4 Diesel to run errands, and/or prove their manhood/signifcant other's manhood.

I really like Bill Ford. I read about is idea of an increased gas tax once, and I thought he had valid points. I believe that was before the economy tanked, or at least I realized it had tanked. The majority of people can't handle a buck a gallon tax hike right now, whether or not they realize it. Lt. Dan has no clue whatsoever. People will buy the Cruze, Volt, etc. when they want to. Many are moving into smaller cars even as we speak, which is what they should have done after the last gas price spike. I know I parked my F150 (which did more work than most of the aforementioned F350's), and now I drive a Focus for 90% of my work related duties.

And the Cruze and Volt aren't garbage either. The Volt may not be all that, but the Cruze is a fairly worthy car. Might as well call the new Focus "garbage-lite".

While Lt. Dan runs GM off the rails, Mullaly and co. are doing right by Ford IMHO. Build good small cars with good mpgs that people want, rinse and repeat for midsize, etc. etc. etc.

A $1 gallon gas tax hike would move people into more fuel efficient cars quicker. But IMHO, wreck the economy definitely in the short term, maybe longer. Not a good plan if your goal is to sell ever more new cars and trucks. Were that to happen, Lt. Dan wouldn't have to speculate about Lincoln being "done", he'd be busy brushing up his resume, what would be left of it.

From the Detroit News article, “A government-imposed tax hike, Akerson believes, will prompt more people to buy small cars”.....

Hey, not everyone can fit into your small cars. Besides, I need a truck!

I can never have a "small" car running a business.

"People will start buying more Cruzes and they will start buying less Suburbans."

Spoken like a true Marxist. I will buy what I want, when I want. Maybe if they built vehicles people wanted, they wouldn't be begging the Gov't to artificially raise gas prices to move overpriced garbage like the Volt and Cruze off the lots. I really hope these dopes go out of business. They are becoming dangerous to the American way of life.

I agree and they should have went under; but that has already been discussed on other threads. There is not one current GM vehicle in their line-up besides a full size truck or full size van that appeals to me. Not one. And my decision on personally boycotting GM products stands until further notice.

• Like 2

What about compact MPV type vehicles like C-Max, Transit Connect, and Mazda5? Those seem ideally suited to a variety of business/commercial applications.

I don't know much about the others besides the Transit Connect because I'm too busy to do any research on them but the Transits I've seen around and all depends on what they are used for. For a delivery company, depending on volume and size of your shipments. It's suitable, but if you're some plumber out there. You still need the Econoline.