at what mph does your ecoboost shut off

winterfrost

I love my truck and i understand i only have 700 miles on it but i was kind of up setting when i was on the interstate and went to try out how much speed it had and it shuts down around 105-110mph is there any thing u can do so that u can keep it at 105-110 without it shutting down

I have never owned a ford that has shut down(my edge never did that. it was like a chevy my son had that shut down at 89 ) thats why he bought a new 2011 mustang

I love my truck and i understand i only have 700 miles on it but i was kind of up setting when i was on the interstate and went to try out how much speed it had and it shuts down around 105-110mph is there any thing u can do so that u can keep it at 105-110 without it shutting down

I have never owned a ford that has shut down(my edge never did that. it was like a chevy my son had that shut down at 89 ) thats why he bought a new 2011 mustang

All vehicles have governors that limit speed. It's probably due to the tires. The 20" OEM tires have a 'S' speed rating with a max speed of 112 mph, so that would explain it.

Why anyone would want to go over 100 in a truck is beyond me though.

• Like 2

All vehicles have governors that limit speed. It's probably due to the tires. The 20" OEM tires have a 'S' speed rating with a max speed of 112 mph, so that would explain it.

Why anyone would want to go over 100 in a truck is beyond me though.

should have upgraded the tire/wheel combo, time to buy a tuner so you can get there faster!

There is also the stability issue at higher speeds. I don't know if the F--150 specifically has issues, but do know that at higher speeds cars tend to lose stability as air builds up under it. The wife had a Ranger with a little 4 cylinder that truck could go 139. She was clocked at 139 by a deputy one day. Fortunately he had the same truck and "knew" it could only go 100 before the governor kicked in, so he thought his radar was broke and the wife got a warning.

There is also the stability issue at higher speeds. I don't know if the F--150 specifically has issues, but do know that at higher speeds cars tend to lose stability as air builds up under it. The wife had a Ranger with a little 4 cylinder that truck could go 139. She was clocked at 139 by a deputy one day. Fortunately he had the same truck and "knew" it could only go 100 before the governor kicked in, so he thought his radar was broke and the wife got a warning.

That's priceless you're so lucky! I didn't think a 4cyl Ranger would even need a governor, I would have been willing to bet it would only top out at 80-90 mph going down hill!! Oh and in response to the question above my Eco Boost goes around 102 mph with tires that are 1.5 inches taller than stock.

Edited by altaforddealer

• 7 months later...

I tnink any vehicle going more then 100 in real life road driving is not realistic or surely not safe. However, for testing purposes only :) I have tried with many vehicles I've driven on the turnpike to see what the top speed is at least once. My Ford Taurus I had was the fastest at 112mph.

I tnink any vehicle going more then 100 in real life road driving is not realistic or surely not safe. However, for testing purposes only :) I have tried with many vehicles I've driven on the turnpike to see what the top speed is at least once. My Ford Taurus I had was the fastest at 112mph.

Eh, as long as the vehicle has the proper equipment, the only thing really making 100 MPH dangerous at all is driver ability (both yours and that of the drivers around you).

Eh, as long as the vehicle has the proper equipment, the only thing really making 100 MPH dangerous at all is driver ability (both yours and that of the drivers around you).

Provided nobody or nothing pulls out in front of you or you don't blow a tire or you don't run into a much slower group of vehicles. That's where higher speeds get more dangerous.

• 1 month later...

Yep.

Also, turbos, in general, are finite. What I am trying to says is that a some speed of the turbine shaft it just won't go any faster. The V6 EcoBoost turbos are relatively small, so they are "on boost" most of the time. That means they "top out" sooner.

• 3 months later...

That's priceless you're so lucky! I didn't think a 4cyl Ranger would even need a governor, I would have been willing to bet it would only top out at 80-90 mph going down hill!! Oh and in response to the question above my Eco Boost goes around 102 mph with tires that are 1.5 inches taller than stock.

I have to agree with you, unless that truck has a jet engine in the back there is just no way a 4 cylinder Ranger is going to see 139 mph if it's traveling on a public road under it's own power. It will however get 30 mpg's and take a heck of a beating all day long.

All vehicles have governors that limit speed. It's probably due to the tires.

Absolutely !

Years ago, Ford lost a law suit for selling a car that could go faster than the speed rating on the tire.

Secondarily, you have to realize, those small turbo spool up early and quick, but there is a point when they can spin no faster.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hmmm, I'm siding with the deputy on this one, my dad has a 4 cylinder ranger, I borrow it now and then and I really have a hard time getting it up to 75, so I'm siding with the deputy. Unless by chance you happened to have the 4 cylinder variant that had the two extra cylinders.

The other limiting factor might be driveshaft stability. LONG driveshafts turn to noodles at speed. Wasnt there a video around here a couple months ago about a jackass in a v6 mustang that blew his apart then was pissed cause Ford wouldnt warranty it-- YouTube vid and all.