UAW & GM have a tentative agreement!

jpd2

I am glad it is done. Not too much details in the article, just speculation on them. It will be interesting once we get them.

Wonder if they'll release the full agreement. Not just "Highlights". Been burned by the details before and I have no desire to let it happen again.

I also look for ,pdf version. No reason to deny the membership easily search-able versions of the contract.

Wonder if they'll release the full agreement. Not just "Highlights". Been burned by the details before and I have no desire to let it happen again.

I also look for ,pdf version. No reason to deny the membership easily search-able versions of the contract.

You can be sure that the Free Press will have the PDF version posted for the world to see come Monday morning.

You can be sure that the Free Press will have the PDF version posted for the world to see come Monday morning.

They didn't last time. Some unknown friend of the members in closing plants and skilled trades unofficially released 84 + pages days before the official "highlights". There, we saw the true effect of the 2007 contract, effects that were never touched on in the highlights.

Remember, they are called "Highlights" because the deep dark secrets come out months after ratification.

• Like 1

Well, as they say, the devil is in the details! BUT! When they get the tentative agreement, did you know that your president, building chairman and bargaining committee get a full copy including the unpublished letters?! Ask to see their copy! It includes all the language that was there before and has been struck out, etc.

• Like 1

Soldiers of solidarity had a majority of the contract last time. Check there.

Correct. That's what I am talking about. Freep and I-UAW failed us.

I was hoping my union representation would be transparent enough to provide the FULL text of all changes in adequate time for review before we are "sold on" the "Highlights" or others offering their own version of what is in the contract. A .pdf version... easily search-able, easily reviewed.

FULL disclosure before a vote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by FiredMotorCompany

Now they just have to ratify before the details of Ford's agreement are released. B)

It's still a long process. The Local Chairman have to be called to Detroit and vote on acceptance as members of the National Ford Dept. of the UAW, then there is the Regional meeting in Indy were more explaination is given, then there is the local meeting where the highlights are given to the membership a few days before we vote on the "Highlights", then months later we get a copy of the real contract! :banghead::finger: :blah:

• Like 1

It's still a long process. The Local Chairman have to be called to Detroit and vote on acceptance as members of the National Ford Dept. of the UAW, then there is the Regional meeting in Indy were more explaination is given, then there is the local meeting where the highlights are given to the membership a few days before we vote on the "Highlights", then months later we get a copy of the real contract! :banghead::finger: :blah:

True....too true.

Too bad the "Highlights" are not selected to represent the touch points of the deal.

Instead, the are the "selling points". And this from car salesmen.

When they get the tentative agreement, did you know that your president, building chairman and bargaining committee get a full copy including the unpublished letters?! Ask to see their copy! It includes all the language that was there before and has been struck out, etc.

Correct Spring. They are available from the committee and at the local. They also have them at the explanation meetings. We usually dont vote until 7-8 days after the committee comes back from Detroit with the books. I think the last books were light blue and about as thick as a dictionary. My committeeman always had the page numbers written down in the highlights so I could refer to the exact language that is in the big book.

Our committee would always have the books available and review the new and changed language days before we voted.

• Like 1

Correct Spring. They are available from the committee and at the local. They also have them at the explanation meetings. We usually dont vote until 7-8 days after the committee comes back from Detroit with the books. I think the last books were light blue and about as thick as a dictionary. My committeeman always had the page numbers written down in the highlights so I could refer to the exact language that is in the big book.

Our committee would always have the books available and review the new and changed language days before we voted.

Last vote took place concurrently with the presentation of the FULL Agreement. It sat on the table while 4-5 I-UAW reps started a meeting at noon, droned on reading the Highlights verbatim. Then, open questions and answers devolved to insanely annoying "single point" back and forth question, answer, rebuttal, further question, new question regarding first question......... The next thing you know, it's 3:30 and time for the reps to travel to next plant....voting closes in 30 min. Move along....

More than 7 weeks later, the book comes out. And save for "Soldiers of Solidarity" we would have been blindsided by monstrously significant points related to our very own plant!!!!!!!!!!!!

"He's in a meeting." "He's at the hall." "They haven't gotten a copy yet." ad nauseum.

RANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The night the deal is done, a .pdf should go to each local and make it available for the membership to download or copy directly. The limited time we have between our job and the time the local is open or the rep is available serves to make such requests an impediment to full disclosure or through research by more than a handful of the membership. A searchable electronic version would save printing costs and reduce publication time since typesetting, publishing runs, shipping and local distribution would be all but a supporting role to the membership being informed in a timely manner before voting takes place. Instead, excuses based on the previously names issues are used to support the assertion the "Highlights" are representative of the factors the membership will need to be concerned about, so "Trust us. This is what you need to know to vote."

I'd never buy a house on such terms. Neither would any but fools.

"He's in a meeting." "He's at the hall." "They haven't gotten a copy yet." ad nauseum.

The night the deal is done, a .pdf should go to each local and make it available for the membership to download or copy directly. The limited time we have between our job and the time the local is open or the rep is available serves to make such requests an impediment to full disclosure or through research by more than a handful of the membership. A searchable electronic version would save printing costs and reduce publication time since typesetting, publishing runs, shipping and local distribution would be all but a supporting role to the membership being informed in a timely manner before voting takes place. Instead, excuses based on the previously names issues are used to support the assertion the "Highlights" are representative of the factors the membership will need to be concerned about, so "Trust us. This is what you need to know to vote."

I'd never buy a house on such terms. Neither would any but fools.

That's never happened in my experience. What plant are you at?

• Like 5

That's never happened in my experience. What plant are you at?

Not sayin'. I was editing my post when you posted so please scroll back to see my additional comments.

PS, I respectfully ask that you remove the apostrophe you use in Don't. The reply feature cuts your username at the apostrophe. And Dont would get your point across.

Thank you.

A .pdf would be great! I have our Constitution, Local By-Laws, Local Agreement and the National Agreement in .pdf format and was able to use a conversion program to put it on my Kindle. Therefore, I always have the documents with me. Kindles are searchable as well. Now if only they would do that with the Administrative Letters and Umpires' Opinions, it would be wonderful!

Last vote took place concurrently with the presentation of the FULL Agreement. It sat on the table while 4-5 I-UAW reps started a meeting at noon, droned on reading the Highlights verbatim. Then, open questions and answers devolved to insanely annoying "single point" back and forth question, answer, rebuttal, further question, new question regarding first question......... The next thing you know, it's 3:30 and time for the reps to travel to next plant....voting closes in 30 min. Move along....

Why would you go to the IUAW meeting without educating yourself first?

That is where you get further detail, intent and understand the language with the IUAW.

The committeemen, bargaining reps, chairmen, presidents, vice presidents, recording secretaries, finacial secretaries all get copies. I have always went to the local and/or committee room to follow up on the highlights and other changes.

I would think over the past contracts you would have educated yourself before showing up at a IUAW meeting without having educated yourself first.

• Like 2

Awesome......... They saved Spring Hill Assembly. I hope they can gain product commitments at Ford.

$5,000 bonus.

The UAW bargained a great agreement if true

Cha Ching

Although the UAW hit a home run with GM, we still need to keep our fingers crossed to get products committed. $5,000 is great but we need products in our plants

• Like 2

Not sure about your cha ching...

Since when is $5k worth what we've lost over the last couple of years? Yeah, more product committments would be great for us, but there needs to be make up for what we lost, that should still be in place going forward.

....and on the profit sharing, I personally would like to see quarterly checks. It would be a nice bonus every 3 months.

Although the UAW hit a home run with GM, we still need to keep our fingers crossed to get products committed. $5,000 is great but we need products in our plants

• Like 1

Not sure about your cha ching...

Since when is $5k worth what we've lost over the last couple of years? Yeah, more product committments would be great for us, but there needs to be make up for what we lost, that should still be in place going forward.

....and on the profit sharing, I personally would like to see quarterly checks. It would be a nice bonus every 3 months.

Agree 5000 over 4 years in a contract that seems to offer nothing else is a big NO vote if this were a Ford contract..1250 a year is pathetic.This took 2 months to negotiate also pathetic.

Edited by skeptic
  • Like 1

a home run??? Are you out of your mind? No raise, no cola, no Christmas bonus, no overtime after 8 hours, no break time returned on & on & on. What exactly did they get back? The promise of product at one plant? Please.

• Like 1

Its two early to attack the tentative agreement or to proclaim it an earth shattering one either. But i am pleased to see a couple of things.

1. They saved a plant. Thats alot of union brothers/sisters who won't be gone.

2. The two tier people got raises. In my book that is the most important thing these contracts needed to address.

And better health benefits, which we all know is hard to come by.

• Like 1

Correct. That's what I am talking about. Freep and I-UAW failed us.

I was hoping my union representation would be transparent enough to provide the FULL text of all changes in adequate time for review before we are "sold on" the "Highlights" or others offering their own version of what is in the contract. A .pdf version... easily search-able, easily reviewed.

FULL disclosure before a vote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed I have asked for this at my plant the last 3 contracts, and been given all the excuses. I feel that we as a membership are not only entitled, but should demand to have the full language before a vote. Like you, I won't buy anything on just the word of someone trying to sell it to me.

I doubt we will ever get full disclousure, it would make getting a contract ratified too difficult as we would know the parts that we would never accept,

• Like 1