A Strike Is Eminent

Empire

UAW Says Ford Will Hire Strike Breakers If Accord Voted Down

The United Auto Workers said in a Facebook post that it will seek a strike if members vote against a tentative agreement with Ford Motor Co. (F) and that union leaders expect the automaker would seek replacement workers.

The post today from the UAW Ford Department cites UAW Vice President Jimmy Settles, the union’s lead negotiator with the automaker, informing workers a strike would follow a rejection of the contract. Workers at a Ford factory in Wayne, Michigan, rejected the contract in a ratification vote this week.

“Vice President Settles has advised the membership during informational meetings that if the agreement is not ratified, he will ask the International Executive Board to authorize a strike,” the UAW Ford Department post said. “If so, he will then give 72 hour notice to the company that we intend to strike.”

The UAW has not had a national walkout at Ford since 1976. Michele Martin, a spokeswoman for the UAW, didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment. Bob King, the union’s president, said earlier he wasn’t concerned about early voting results at Ford.

“It’s a really good agreement,” King told reporters in Warren, Michigan, today during a news conference about a tentative labor agreement with Chrysler Group LLC. “I think that as people look at it and weigh the different options, they’ll vote for it.”

Ford ‘Optimistic’

The company said it expects the accord to pass.

“We remain optimistic that the tentative agreement will be approved, as it is fair to our employees and improves Ford’s competitiveness,” Karen Hampton, a Ford spokeswoman, said in an e-mail.

Ford’s 41,000 U.S. hourly workers began voting this week on the tentative agreement reached on Oct. 4. Ratification votes at UAW locals across the U.S. are to conclude Oct. 18.

With 8 percent of the vote complete, 50.2 percent of production workers have voted yes, while 50.6 percent of skilled trades workers have rejected the deal, the UAW Ford Department said today on the Facebook page.

“If this is what the UAW is putting on their website, then it’s clearly authoritative on what they see as the likely result of a no vote,” said Harley Shaiken, a labor professor at the University of California at Berkeley. “They’re saying, ‘We did the very best we could and anything more will take the picket line.’”

Lockout Possibility

The post also said the automaker may lock out UAW- represented employees or use replacement workers to keep factories running.

“The company is not obligated to continue bargaining because their position is that they negotiated in good faith and presented an agreement which is more than competitive,” the UAW Ford Department post said. “If we strike, they will use whatever resources necessary to continue operating their plants including the use of scab labor.”

The statement on the Facebook page “will no doubt have an influence on the vote,” Shaiken said. “Workers are not up for a strike; people are apprehensive and fearful of the economy.”

To contact the reporter on this story: Keith Naughton in Southfield, Michigan at knaughton3@bloomberg.net

• Like 2

The United Auto Workers said in a Facebook post that it will seek a strike if members vote against a tentative agreement with Ford Motor Co. (F) and that union leaders expect the automaker would seek replacement workers.

The post today from the UAW Ford Department cites UAW Vice President Jimmy Settles, the union’s lead negotiator with the automaker, informing workers a strike would follow a rejection of the contract. Workers at a Ford factory in Wayne, Michigan, rejected the contract in a ratification vote this week.

“Vice President Settles has advised the membership during informational meetings that if the agreement is not ratified, he will ask the International Executive Board to authorize a strike,” the UAW Ford Department post said. “If so, he will then give 72 hour notice to the company that we intend to strike.”

The UAW has not had a national walkout at Ford since 1976. Michele Martin, a spokeswoman for the UAW, didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment. Bob King, the union’s president, said earlier he wasn’t concerned about early voting results at Ford.

“It’s a really good agreement,” King told reporters in Warren, Michigan, today during a news conference about a tentative labor agreement with Chrysler Group LLC. “I think that as people look at it and weigh the different options, they’ll vote for it.”

Ford ‘Optimistic’

“We remain optimistic that the tentative agreement will be approved, as it is fair to our employees and improves Ford’s competitiveness,” Karen Hampton, a Ford spokeswoman, said in an e-mail.

Ford’s 41,000 U.S. hourly workers began voting this week on the tentative agreement reached on Oct. 4. Ratification votes at UAW locals across the U.S. are to conclude Oct. 18.

With 8 percent of the vote complete, 50.2 percent of production workers have voted yes, while 50.6 percent of skilled trades workers have rejected the deal, the UAW Ford Department said today on the Facebook page.

“If this is what the UAW is putting on their website, then it’s clearly authoritative on what they see as the likely result of a no vote,” said Harley Shaiken, a labor professor at the University of California at Berkeley. “They’re saying, ‘We did the very best we could and anything more will take the picket line.’”

Lockout Possibility

The post also said the automaker may lock out UAW- represented employees or use replacement workers to keep factories running.

“The company is not obligated to continue bargaining because their position is that they negotiated in good faith and presented an agreement which is more than competitive,” the UAW Ford Department post said. “If we strike, they will use whatever resources necessary to continue operating their plants including the use of scab labor.”

The statement on the Facebook page “will no doubt have an influence on the vote,” Shaiken said. “Workers are not up for a strike; people are apprehensive and fearful of the economy.”

To contact the reporter on this story: Keith Naughton in Southfield, Michigan at knaughton3@bloomberg.net

We shouldn't think we control the work at Ford. We work at Ford. I thought I read somewhere besides here of how Ford was planning on making sure they would get product out.

Ford ‘Optimistic’

Lockout Possibility

Jimmy, Should be looking at going back to the table on get us a real contract to vote on.

The United Auto Workers said in a Facebook post that it will seek a strike if members vote against a tentative agreement with Ford Motor Co. (F) and that union leaders expect the automaker would seek replacement workers. Illegal Mexicaan and paid them 2 dollar an hour ,like in there country,they are bring the workers here too.

“It’s a really good agreement for Ford and,” King told reporters in Warren, Michigan, today during a news conference about a tentative labor agreement with Chrysler Group LLC. “I think that as people look at it and weigh the different options, they’ll vote for it.”

Ford ‘Optimistic’

The company now expects the accord to fail because of what they done in 2009 and 2007:Chicago auto workers denounce UAW-Ford deal and Expect The New Hires that were Layoff in 2009 plan

on voting b it down this time ,they voted yes in 2009 before and promise new jobs and never got them ,and were told we never go to one shift ,which we did and they were layoff for 2years

“If this is what the UAW is putting on their website, then it’s clearly authoritative on what they see as the likely result of a no vote,” said Harley Shaiken, a labor professor at the University of California at Berkeley. “They’re saying, ‘We did the very best we could after all the bonus money was given to ceos and anything more will take the picket line to us ,I will have to bring my lazy boy chair from home bad knees

Lockout Possibility

The post also said the automaker may lock out UAW- represented employees or use scab workers to keep factories running.

Edited by itsmeuaw

All fellow hunters a deer season coming up ,I think we get to use bow n arrows shooter ,do u know when it is ,then we can hunt those deer with our shotguns ,not to change the subject but since I be on strike ,we all should be hunted deer and feeding strikers on the picket lines when were not on picket lines and collecting money for thew hires and loans to help them pay their bills ,how did our grandfathers do it in 1976 ,they were real men with alot of balls ,they all had families too.They survive and we can do too if we all grow balls .Carwashes ,get truck drivers local not to cross picket line.

Edited by itsmeuaw

who wants to buy a Ford Car made by scabs ,and were back to square one Ford means found on the road dead or Ford Means fix or repair dalily.

all newspaper and public will know why we voted it down ,i mail to all my non ford contacts they will see our side ,and I will be telling hold off on buying any Ford cars or Trucks because Obama supporters are unions supporters and so does Our Great President Obama supports unions

Edited by itsmeuaw

Ford ‘Optimistic’

Lockout Possibility

“The company is not obligated to continue bargaining because their position is that they negotiated in good faith and presented an agreement which is more than competitive,” the UAW Ford Department post said. “If we strike, they will use whatever resources necessary to continue operating their plants including the use of scab labor.”the economy.”

How much did we give up in concessions? How much do they owe us?

--Dec., ’05.- Lost a 3% raise, lost some COLA -- lost $2,000/year (about $10,000 total).

--Sept.,07. - Lost more COLA, (up to 50 cents/hour). Increased health care costs for prescriptions, office visits and other co-pays.

--Feb., ‘09. - Lost 2 Performance Bonuses (about $5,000 total); 2 Christmas bonuses ($1,200 total);

COLA eliminated; no overtime after 8 hours; Easter Monday holiday taken away; reduced SUB ; no pay-in-lieu.

It is estimated we lost about $30,000 in money alone. But that’s only a small part of it.

--Two-tier wages. New hires lose over $25,000 a year.

Two-tier wages make it harder for first tier to get a raise and threatens to bring us all down to 2nd tier.

--The VEBA. Health care for retirees is no longer guaranteed.

How much money will we have to pay out of pocket when we retire?

--Lost break time and alternative work schedules. It makes our working conditions much harder.

It may take weeks, months or years off our lives. What price do you put on that?

This is part of a letter that I received from a 2nd-tier Ford worker:

“I and my co-workers only want to work hard, live comfortably & secure a future for ourselves & our families.

$14/ hour can't help one to do much more than pay bills & show up to work week after week with empty pockets & no hope for tomorrow. The modest pay that I receive does not cover car repairs or insurance.

My pay cannot support rent/mortgage & a car note/lease. I may have to wait 15 years before I can buy one of the vehicles that I helped make. The check that I receive every week does not have enough room for frivolities like haircuts, school supplies for four children, a full tank of gas (to take said children to school & me to work), on time payment of utilities or rent, or food (groceries are not a luxury).

The pressure of being underpaid drains people physically, emotionally & spiritually (some people lose faith).

We wake up with our backs against the wall & leave work feeling like we were in a stick fight & everyone had a stick except us! I don't mind hard work but all of this is for half pay. “

August 29,2011

they can lock us out but they got to come out sometime .

Ford was also given a huge tax break by the city of Chicago to expand production, creating a further loss of revenue for the city, which is already cutting and privatizing services. Announcing the addition of the third shift, Democratic Mayor Rahm Emanuel, Obama’s former chief of staff, said, “This is a victory for Ford, a victory for workers and a victory for Chicago.”

Did we need another Strike is Eminent posts?

So I walk in to vote today and another fellow worker is asking the IUAW rep some questions. I over hear him asking a question about how did the union agree to a worker with 29 years gets 6k signing bonus and a worker with 3 days gets 5k signing bonus, his response was and I quote.... Thats what Ford wanted not the Union, What, his response was so what your telling me is ,what is in the highlight package is what Ford wants, I thought this is what our Union negotiated for us. He then started, thats the offer they wanted to make. WOW Then they got on the topic about profit sharing and he asked, Why would I want there to be a cap on profit sharing and he stated, I quote, Ford is only willing to share some profits not all. Then the last topic, get ready for the best one, He asked the IUAW rep, if the contract gets voted down, how does the union go back to the table to negiotiate. How does the union know what items the membership is specifically not happy with? He then stated, We meaning the IUAW no what the membership wants, they want COLA AND RAISES and all the things they previously gave up, but Ford was not willing to give anything back in this offer. After overhearing this conversation it sure sounds like Ford said to our union, put this offer on the table and see if they take it. The gentleman from the IUAW was doing his best to answer all the questions, but he did not even sound like he believed this is a good contract. He stated several times this is FORD'S offer. What a joke, Sure made my decision easy to vote no.

So I walk in to vote today and another fellow worker is asking the IUAW rep some questions. I Jover hear him asking a question about how did the union agree to a worker with 29 years gets 6k signing bonus and a worker with 3 days gets 5k signing bonus, his response was and I quote.... Thats what Ford wanted not the Union, What, his response was so what your telling me is ,what is in the highlight package is what Ford wants, I thought this is what our Union negotiated for us. He then started, thats the offer they wanted to make. WOW Then they got on the topic about profit sharing and he asked, Why would I want there to be a cap on profit sharing and he stated, I quote, Ford is only willing to share some profits not all. Then the last topic, get ready for the best one, He asked the IUAW rep, if the contract gets voted down, how does the union go back to the table to negiotiate. How does the union know what items the membership is specifically not happy with? He then stated, We meaning the IUAW no what the membership wants, they want COLA AND RAISES and all the things they previously gave up, but Ford was not willing to give anything back in this offer. After overhearing this conversation it sure sounds like Ford said to our union, put this offer on the table and see if they take it. The gentleman from the IUAW was doing his best to answer all the questions, but he did not even sound like he believed this is a good contract. He stated several times this is FORD'S offer. What a joke, Sure made my decision easy to vote no.

How many times did u vote? Cuz I read that post like 5-6 times…

• Like 2

Why is a strike the only recourse if this vote ends up being NO, why the scare tactics, why not go back to the ompany nd say let's settle this outstanding grievance and keep the extension in place until old business is ettled, why is brother Settles calling me names, why is veba starting to sound like a ponzi scheme or social security at best I don't know what's gonna happen, I don't know the answers to my questions, but one thing I do know is there's a lot of in fighting going on and it may be time for a restructuring of the iuaw, I believe yrs of nepotism and favortism has turned this union into a group of yes men and people who know they don't belong there and if they just sit quietly nodding their heads nobody will notice. I don't think bob king is a bad guy, I just wonder if this is the right time to stand... be well everyone...vote with your heart... and deal with your head

Why is a strike the only recourse if this vote ends up being NO, why the scare tactics, why not go back to the ompany nd say let's settle this outstanding grievance and keep the extension in place until old business is ettled, why is brother Settles calling me names, why is veba starting to sound like a ponzi scheme or social security at best I don't know what's gonna happen, I don't know the answers to my questions, but one thing I do know is there's a lot of in fighting going on and it may be time for a restructuring of the iuaw, I believe yrs of nepotism and favortism has turned this union into a group of yes men and people who know they don't belong there and if they just sit quietly nodding their heads nobody will notice. I don't think bob king is a bad guy, I just wonder if this is the right time to stand... be well everyone...vote with your heart... and deal with your head

A strike is not the only recourse but there is a good possibility. That is enough to get me to vote YES on this NOT SO BAD of a deal in these dire economical times. THE RISKS OUTWEIGH THE REWARDS.

you're not voting asswipe salary fuck.

I work production at DTP. I have 15 years seniority. Do you think that all of the YES voters are salary . You are one of the biggest dumb fucks ever to come on this sight. BY Voting NO you are gambling with my families financial security on a deal that is damn good for all of us non skilled blue collar workers. Grow up and get some mental help asshole.

Edited by sez
  • Like 4

In the company I work for, I am the only one who owns a Ford car (a fusion, perfect quality and made by non-union Mexico workers). Yesterday, one of my colleagues said that he will buy a Explorer if Ford would replace those Union people with whatever people. I guess the "fix or repair daily" was the best reputation of UAW's quality. Ford's qualilty has been improved a lot, but that refers to Fusion and Fiesta. It has nothing to do with you-- UAW workers. You still make junk. Ford just recalled million of F-150. Shame. Toyota and Hyundai hired many scabs. Those scabs are proudly producing the best quality car and truck in this planet. If you still believe that you are a Human being created by God. Then relate your value with the quality of your product, not your greedy. Alan Mulaly deserve billions dollar, because there is only Alan Mulaly in this planet. You do not deserve your greedy because there are 6 billion people who can perfectly replace you.

Edited by weiweishen

In the company I work for, I am the only one who owns a Ford car (a fusion, perfect quality and made by non-union Mexico workers). Yesterday, one of my colleagues said that he will buy a Explorer if Ford would replace those Union people with whatever people. I guess the "fix or repair daily" was the best reputation of UAW's quality. Ford's qualilty has been improved a lot, but that refers to Fusion and Fiesta. It has nothing to do with you-- UAW workers. You still make junk. Ford just recalled million of F-150. Shame. Toyota and Hyundai hired many scabs. Those scabs are proudly producing the best quality car and truck in this planet. If you still believe that you are a Human being created by God. Then relate your value with the quality of your product, not your greedy. Alan Mulaly deserve billions dollar, because there is only Alan Mulaly in this planet. You do not deserve your greedy because there are 6 billion people who can perfectly replace you.

Cool story!

REALLY?????? ....why are you even on this forum??..... go back wherever it was just came from pal

It sounds like you started drinking early today. Please get a designated driver.

Hello, wha wha shen, toyoto is the company that had that little ole' break fiasco, did you forget??? Besides the production line workers have nothing to do with parts that are recalled. They are told what to put into the car, their is little ways of knowing if a defective part (FROM A SUPPLIER) is bad before installation!! The item that was recalled was for a bad part (from its supplier) not for the incorrect way in putting in a part which does not go very far up the line when it happens. If the Fusion is so perfect in quality, why would they be moving it here to be built by U.A.W. in a town called Flat Rock, Michigan alongside the Mustang. So Allen deserves millions because he asked workers to voluntarily sign a release plus a buyout to leave the company. Thousands left so I'm sure they were anxious to do something else. Everyone is replaceable that is why so many CEO do not last long at one company unless they own the company. Why would anyone buy a Fiesta? The Focus product is hands down a way nicer vehicle IMHO.