2011 Sonata catches fire...

silvrsvt

I figure that's next for mine. About everything else has gone wrong with the pos. Low tire pressure warning was on (again) this weekend. So, it was off to another visit to the dealer today when, (you guessed it), it went out before I could get there.

I haven't loathed a car this badly since my 76 Chevy Monza.

I figure that's next for mine. About everything else has gone wrong with the pos. Low tire pressure warning was on (again) this weekend. So, it was off to another visit to the dealer today when, (you guessed it), it went out before I could get there.

I haven't loathed a car this badly since my 76 Chevy Monza.

I am guessing the pressure went up due to the increase in tire temp? That would make the light go off before getting there.

Also, was it any colder by you recently?

I am guessing the pressure went up due to the increase in tire temp? That would make the light go off before getting there.

Also, was it any colder by you recently?

Correct on both counts. Yet another annoyance thanks to govt. intervention. It does not explain, however, why on long trips the low tire pressure indicator just starts flashing for no good reason and the dealership cannot tell me why. Chock it up to another "Unable to Duplicate".

Fixed. :)

That too. Then again, based on the number of vehicles I see on the road every day with noticably under-inflated tires, I really don't think it's a bad thing in this particular instance. But please, Ford, give me a freaking system that actually works correctly. At least shell out the coin for a digital system that monitors each wheel individually so I can tell which sensor is screwing up.

The TPMS light has been on in my Edge for the past 3 weeks. Have checked the tire pressures in all the tires (including the spare) multiple times. They are inflated properly (as they would have been anyway -- I am not an idiot). Annoying POS sensors.

We had one of the TPMS sensors go out in the Escape a few weeks ago (the day it was in for service was the day I bought my Fusion, actually). It took them all of :10 minutes to run a diagnostic and figure out which sensor wasn't responding (passenger side rear, IIRC), and maybe a half hour to replace it.

We had one of the TPMS sensors go out in the Escape a few weeks ago (the day it was in for service was the day I bought my Fusion, actually). It took them all of :10 minutes to run a diagnostic and figure out which sensor wasn't responding (passenger side rear, IIRC), and maybe a half hour to replace it.

That's still half an hour longer than I would prefer to be at the dealer. And what happens when it is out of warranty? I'm sure they'll eventually go bad again. Just one more dumb expense to keep an ugly light off my dashboard.

Edited by NickF1011

For real. :banghead:

Seriously though, as for temp changes causing expansion/contraction of the air in the tires, causing a fault, go with the nitrogen fill at your next service stop. Much more stable, and considering that any given day in the Buckeye state can swing from 30 degrees to 90 degrees, it's well worth it. :shades:

That too. Then again, based on the number of vehicles I see on the road every day with noticably under-inflated tires, I really don't think it's a bad thing in this particular instance. But please, Ford, give me a freaking system that actually works correctly. At least shell out the coin for a digital system that monitors each wheel individually so I can tell which sensor is screwing up.

Actually the system reads the pressure in each tire. With a scan tool, each tire shows the exact pressure. The only reason I can think why Ford does not show each tire's pressure on the cluster is because if the tires are rotated and not retrained to the correct locations, then it will display the wrong tire. I like how Acura/Honda do it, they put a receiver at each wheel well so the it sees the sensor closest to each receiver locating the tires.

GM and Dodge do it like Ford, but they display each tire. However, as mentioned, the tire location can be off. FYI if the light is flashing, then it indicates a fault. If it is solid, indicates a low tire condition.

GM and Dodge do it like Ford, but they display each tire. However, as mentioned, the tire location can be off. FYI if the light is flashing, then it indicates a fault. If it is solid, indicates a low tire condition.

It's a solid light and the pressure is not low. That's still a fault in my book.

When ours failed, it would flash 2 or 3 times with a chime, then stay illuminated for a day or 3, then go off for a few days, then repeat.

First time it came on, I checked the tire pressure in every tire, they were fine. The light went off the next day. It's been on a good couple solid weeks now. :shrug: Ah well. Needs to go in for an oil change and tire rotation anywho...I'll have them take a look then.

First time it came on, I checked the tire pressure in every tire, they were fine. The light went off the next day. It's been on a good couple solid weeks now. :shrug: Ah well. Needs to go in for an oil change and tire rotation anywho...I'll have them take a look then.

When I replaced the tires on our Edge, I went with nitrogen fill. No more low tire warnings since.

It's a solid light and the pressure is not low. That's still a fault in my book.

Don't get me wrong, if the pressures are in spec and the light is still on after driving it over 25mph. Then yes ofcourse it has a fault. I was just stating the light on steady is supposed to mean low pressure, yet a flashing light means malfunction and the system is disabled.

TPMS has been a huge pain. People come in because their light is on. They don't check pressures before hand. But since its a light, then it must be a warrantable problem. Obviously for our regular customers thats no problem adjusting pressure, but the Jiffy Lube customers are the ones that irritate me.

• Like 2

Looks like there isn't much crime and mayhem in Ocean County, New Jersey if something like this makes news. :hysterical: I do recall Brick Township winning the title of "America's Safest City" at least once!

But please, Ford, give me a freaking system that actually works correctly. At least shell out the coin for a digital system that monitors each wheel individually so I can tell which sensor is screwing up.

:yup:

I hope the FMVSS 138 conformant, software based indirect TPMS system designed by NIRA Dynamics becomes more popular. Currently this solution is used only in Volkswagen AG products.

Looks like there isn't much crime and mayhem in Ocean County, New Jersey if something like this makes news. :hysterical: I do recall Brick Township winning the title of "America's Safest City" at least once!

LOL I grew up in this town...trust me theres alot more going on here then there was then I was a kid 25 years ago...big influx of people from Northern NJ and Staten Island

The America's Safest City thing is a bunch of bull...I dated a girl who lived in Hamilton (was one of the "Safest Cities") and Trenton was on the other side of the highway....and was one of the worst! :)

How does that work? if you already have O2 in the tire, how do you get it all out?

You can't get it all out. Not without putting the tire on a vacuum.

(dry) Air is already 79% nitrogen and 20.9% Oxygen. Nitrogen has a molecular weight of 28 and Oxygen is 32. (Air is a percent adjusted 28.84) I really don't know how much of a difference the nitrogen is supposed to make in a real world scenario.

Only thing I can think is most air pumps (note that I didn't say compressors) don't extract the water vapor prior to their output. At the higher pressures of a tire, the vapor can condense, until the tire heats up to evaporate it. Bottled nitrogen would have no water vapor. Neither would bottled air. A compressor would usually condense most of the vapor, as well.

Edited by RangerM