2013 Escape order guide

svtenthusiast

I would never ASS-U-ME that. Trust but verify.

Bingo. They're probably making it up in the trade-in price.

I could be wrong but why would they just give away new vehicles at dealer invoice? Even with holdback they have to pay the sales commission and any floor plan interest so they're basically giving the cars away for free. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Good advice, thanks.

Yep, isn't that how it usually works.

I'm sure they aren't giving it away, they wouldn't have been in business since 1954 doing that.

Good advice, thanks.

Yep, isn't that how it usually works.

I'm sure they aren't giving it away, they wouldn't have been in business since 1954 doing that.

But we know the dealer invoice and they only get the 3% holdback on top of that. There just isn't a lot of profit to be had if they sell below dealer invoice.

Maybe they're making it up on used cars and service.

Outside of X plan they could charge as much as $600.

They (Portsmouth Ford, NH) were a few dollars below the X Plan and the fees were $75.00.

The out the door price was a few dollars less so using the pin wasn't worth it. That's why I keep going back to them and one particular sales rep.

I turned it back to the provider.

I don't see any option for a rear DVD player listed. For those of you that went to the dealership... Is that option available?

Based on the Order Guide and Source Book, it is not an option you can order from the factory. My guess is it will be offered through Ford Accessories as an aftermarket add on.

I was curious so I went to the Ford Accessories Store and found this for the Edge. They ain't cheap, that's for sure.

http://accessories.ford.com/screen-asy-9970.html

Edited by transitman
  • Like 1

Based on the Order Guide and Source Book, it is not an option you can order from the factory. My guess is it will be offered through Ford Accessories as an aftermarket add on.

I was curious so I went to the Ford Accessories Store and found this for the Edge. They ain't cheap, that's for sure.

You're better off buying 2 iPads. For over $2,000 you can get 4 of them.

Good info, Thanks for sharing!

The price is steep but at least there's an option.

I'm surprised that Ford wouldn't have something from the factory for the kids. It's a nice 4 door vehicle surely to transport smaller families.

Good info, Thanks for sharing!

The price is steep but at least there's an option.

I'm surprised that Ford wouldn't have something from the factory for the kids. It's a nice 4 door vehicle surely to transport smaller families.

Partially because of what td284 said, you can buy similar technology for less money and it can be used for other things than being tied to the vehicle.

I went to the Minneapolis Auto Show today and got a look at the Escape in person. I was really disappointed that it was on a pedestal and couldn't sit in it or closely check out the interior. The spokespeople said that was because it was a pre-production model and after a close look I could see that the body parts didn't line up perfectly, there were interior access covers on the floor and the interior parts weren't a tight fit in the areas I could see. At least the doors were open and they were demonstrating the hands free lift gate. I have to say it looks nice. There were a lot of people looking at the Escape, I think Ford has a winner here. I spent most my time comparing the Escape with the Rav-4, Hyundai Tucson, Chevy Equinox, Subaru Outback and Forrester and the Mazda CX-5 and CX-7. I have to say, even without sitting in the Escape, the styling of the Escape beat them all, especially the interior styling. In my opinion, the best of the others was the Outback and I hate to admit this, but I thought the Hyundai was OK, if you like that sort of thing. There was a Fusion Hybrid, which was nice and a 2013 Flex. I described the new grill of the Flex as someone coming at you to kick your ass. Of all the vehicles I checked out, the one I would want to buy was the Cadillac SRX Crossover, very nicely equipped for the low 40's. Out of my price range, but you never know, I bought a lottery ticket this morning.

Edited by transitman

I went to the Minneapolis Auto Show today and got a look at the Escape in person. I was really disappointed that it was on a pedestal and couldn't sit in it or closely check out the interior...

That's really disappointing. I'm planning on going to the MAS on Saturday specifically to get a good look at the new Escape in person. You can tell a lot about how much you'll enjoy a vehicle (or not) just by sitting in it.

What did you think of the Mazda CX-5/7's?

That's really disappointing. I'm planning on going to the MAS on Saturday specifically to get a good look at the new Escape in person. You can tell a lot about how much you'll enjoy a vehicle (or not) just by sitting in it.

What did you think of the Mazda CX-5/7's?

Mazda has had the same problem for years and I'm surprised they have never done anything about it. They're interiors are boring and cheap looking. There's no way an adult will fit in the third row of the CX7. I like the exterior styling of the CX5 and CX7, but those interiors...

Edited by transitman

• 2 weeks later...

The 2013 Escape Reference Guide has been posted here:

Push button start/stop. I'd rather use a key, but I'll probably get used to it.

"Your vehicle has been designed to improve fuel economy by reducing fuel usage while coasting or decelerating. This may be perceived as a light to medium braking sensation when removing your foot from the accelerator pedal." - What is this?

"When one or both of your rear windows are open, you may hear a wind throb or buffeting noise. To alleviate this, simply lower a front window until the buffeting subsides." - I hate that about modern vehicles. I was hoping that wouldn't be the case.

Front and rear sensing - nice.

SelectShift - nice to have an "auto-shift" feature. Shifts controlled by a toggle switch on side of gearshift. Does that exist on any other vehicle that others can comment on? Seems like it will work nicely.

Heated seats have 5 settings - nice.

Memory function for seats and mirrors - really nice.

"Your vehicle has been designed to improve fuel economy by reducing fuel usage while coasting or decelerating. This may be perceived as a light to medium braking sensation when removing your foot from the accelerator pedal." - What is this?

When you let your foot off the gas, the computer shuts off fuel to the engine so that you are really coasting and using 0 fuel. It is slightly noticeable, but you will get used to it.

"When one or both of your rear windows are open, you may hear a wind throb or buffeting noise. To alleviate this, simply lower a front window until the buffeting subsides." - I hate that about modern vehicles. I was hoping that wouldn't be the case.

Well, to have the cabin as quiet as possible you need to seal it as much as possible. When you seal it, you don't have anywhere for the air to go when it comes in, so you get the buffeting if you leave the other windows up. Pretty simple really...just crack a rear window.

SelectShift - nice to have an "auto-shift" feature. Shifts controlled by a toggle switch on side of gearshift. Does that exist on any other vehicle that others can comment on? Seems like it will work nicely.

It's actually "manual-shift" feature. Most new automatics have it now...

It shuts off fuel when you're coasting to improve fuel economy. It feels like you touched the brakes slightly.

Easy to fix - just open another window.

This debuted in 1999 on the Lincoln LS (which I happened to own). It disappeared when they killed the LS in 2006 and didn't come back for a few more years. It's on most Ford vehicles now. It isn't a substitute for a true manual and you don't really use it to shift gears per se - but it's really handy when you want to select and hold a specific gear for spirited driving or going up or down hills or to hold a higher gear for better fuel economy.

To elaborate a little further, it's called Aggressive Deceleration Fuel Shut-Off, or ADFSO.

Edited by transitman