Best and Worst TeleNav Systems (Ford both best and worst)

JD Power ranked TeleNav systems and while it's no surprise that MyFord/Lincoln Touch landed among the worst, among the best was Chrysler's U-Connect and the OLD Clarion based system used by Ford in the outgoing MKS, Fusion, Escape, etc...

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/22/automakers-suck-at-ui/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

simplicity has its benefits....

As does responsiveness, clarity of map/directions presentation, and ability to handle complex routes. All areas in which the Clarion (Ford OE) satnav system excels.

Overall, the Clarion unit is very well designed. It has garnered high (often industry best) scores in the JD Power study every year since introduction.

Interestingly though, the Garmin-supplied system fitted to the Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300 – placing first and third, respectively, in consumer satisfaction – do combine many of the vehicle's climate control functions in a separate menu on the screen. So the issue isn't about incorporation, it's about execution.

I love being right all the time.

Edited by atvman
  • Like 2

:shrug: The GPS portion of MFT in my Edge has been nothing but a pleasant experience thus far. It is definitely infinitely easier to enter destinations via voice than typing though.

Agreed, the GPS portion in my Explorer has been every bit as good as the GPS in the MKS which I believe is the Clarion system.

Yep...technology for technologies sake isn't always the best route.

I have a relative that will probably be replacing their vehicle in a year or so and so far, the EB Flex, PRE MFT, is tops on the list. Great price slightly used, decent mileage, nice options, etc. She does not want MFT (or the headaches that cone with it). But, she's closing in on 75, so it's understandable...however she wants a loaded vehicle.

But the thing that won her over most? The cheap (inexpensive) Easy Fuel system. Proving that all the technology in the world can't beat a simple solution to something we do very often.

• Like 2

Agreed, the GPS portion in my Explorer has been every bit as good as the GPS in the MKS which I believe is the Clarion system.

I'll stick with my $100 Tom Tom GPS with 3D graphics that I can cart from vehicle to vehicle and keep if I sell the vehicles and put in another vehicle. I shake my head at those who put out $2,000 in hard earned dollars on GPS system built into vehicle. My portable GPS gives the speed limit of just about every road I'm on and its speed indicator is even more accurate than my in car speedometer. IMO, fixed, in car navigation is one big waste of money.

• Like 4

I'll stick with my $100 Tom Tom GPS with 3D graphics that I can cart from vehicle to vehicle and keep if I sell the vehicles and put in another vehicle. I shake my head at those who put out $2,000 in hard earned dollars on GPS system built into vehicle. My portable GPS gives the speed limit of just about every road I'm on and its speed indicator is even more accurate than my in car speedometer. IMO, fixed, in car navigation is one big waste of money.

To each there own. I appreciate Navigation systems in my cars. Also in the Explorer the GPS is only a $795 option not $2000. I mean I would go as far as to say that Tom Toms, Garmins, and the like are obsolete nowadays with the advent of smartphones with GPS systems. Like I said though, it is to each there own when it comes to these sort of things and I am in no better position to pass judgement on the subject than the next.

To each there own. I appreciate Navigation systems in my cars. Also in the Explorer the GPS is only a $795 option not $2000. I mean I would go as far as to say that Tom Toms, Garmins, and the like are obsolete nowadays with the advent of smartphones with GPS systems. Like I said though, it is to each there own when it comes to these sort of things and I am in no better position to pass judgement on the subject than the next.

I'd prefer to have integrated Nav on my cars (next new car will have it)...not to mention that the portable GPS systems look cluttered in your car and can be a thief magnet..not to mention dangerous if you happen to get into an accident.

I'd prefer to have integrated Nav on my cars (next new car will have it)...not to mention that the portable GPS systems look cluttered in your car and can be a thief magnet..not to mention dangerous if you happen to get into an accident.

What I notice more and more on road is drivers in late model Fords with highest trim levels (meaning they have Sync)

using hand held cell phones as they motor down road.

I never leave my Tom Tom out as I always stick it in center strorage console or put it into trunk out of sight when not using it. Or just take it into house if not planning on using it or needing it. With my home address in its memory, not a good idea to have it even in car if its stolen. With the economy the way it is, and so many struggling and desperate, I don't tempt anyone. Yeah, I do see a lot of people leaving their Garmin/TomTom out in open for all to see. Not a smart move, I must say. Growing up in Detroit, you either get street smart or you don't survive. You can lose your life over the silliest things.

To each there own. I appreciate Navigation systems in my cars. Also in the Explorer the GPS is only a $795 option not $2000.

Yeah, if the pricepoint for in-car GPS hadn't come down, I certainly would have opted against it. But I used my GPS twice this past holiday weekend and it worked great both times. Glad I got it. :)

What I notice more and more on road is drivers in late model Fords with highest trim levels (meaning they have Sync) using hand held cell phones as they motor down road.

Well you can't fix stupid and not to mention that the Mic placement (in the Escape particularly) makes talking on it next to impossible...i could never understand my GF over the phone when she used it....

Well you can't fix stupid and not to mention that the Mic placement (in the Escape particularly) makes talking on it next to impossible...i could never understand my GF over the phone when she used it....

Hands-free in my Edge hasn't been a problem. Never had anyone say they couldn't hear me either.

I don't find those devices to be adequate alternatives to a fully integrated system. For one thing, they are pretty dang hideous and turn into interior gadget clutter with wires hanging across the dashboard. The other thing is that they are more difficult to use, especially if you are comparing it to MyFord Touch with integrated voice control, steering wheel controls, a larger screen + an IP display, automatic volume control, etc.. Now I'm more open to the idea of using an iPad, iPhone, Android phone, etc... with an app, since those devices are always with you and you don't have to wrestle with the nuisance of keeping the device on or off the dashboard. In the end, if it's too inconvenient to use, it's a waste of money no matter how little or much I spent on it.

To each there own. I appreciate Navigation systems in my cars. Also in the Explorer the GPS is only a $795 option not $2000. I mean I would go as far as to say that Tom Toms, Garmins, and the like are obsolete nowadays with the advent of smartphones with GPS systems.

Using that same logic. If smartphones have GPS, wouldn't that make the $795 option in the Explorer obsolete as well?

Hands-free in my Edge hasn't been a problem. Never had anyone say they couldn't hear me either.

well your Edge has been recently updated...my GF Escape was one of the first ones with Sync...IIRC the mic is mounted on the bottom/back of the rearview mirror on the Escape.

Theres been a TSB for it too...but she already has 61K on it after only owning it 2 years..so I don't think Ford will cover it out of warranty.

Using that same logic. If smartphones have GPS, wouldn't that make the $795 option in the Explorer obsolete as well?

As Borg pointed out it is nice to have a fully integrated system that responds to voice commands which means you don't have to fumble with a separate device. Like I said before it comes down to personal preference and that is all it really is. I personally prefer the integrated nav but recognize that others might not. Also I have an affinity for the latest tech which might explain why I like integrated GPS systems as well.

Edited by stpatrick90

As Borg pointed out it is nice to have a fully integrated system that responds to voice commands which means you don't have to fumble with a separate device. Like I said before it comes down to personal preference and that is all it really is. I personally prefer the integrated nav but recognize that others might not. Also I have an affinity for the latest tech which might explain why I like integrated GPS systems as well.

Oh, I totally understand this point, and do not disagree. Personally, I'm not a fan of either option, but guess I'm old school like that and will use a map or my phone.

But I was simply stating, if people feel that a Tom Tom is obsolete because of smartphone GPS, then that would hold true for integrated GPS systems as well. Only time it wouldn't is for those people who still do not have GPS on their phones.

my GF Escape was one of the first ones with Sync...IIRC the mic is mounted on the bottom/back of the rearview mirror on the Escape.

Theres been a TSB for it too...

The TSB mounts a microphone to the headliner IIRC, my '08 Fusion has the mirror-mounted mic but I've never been told it was difficult to hear using hands-free, and besides my SYNC not being able to understand the command "play track Birdland", I haven't had any issues with the system period.

Oh, I totally understand this point, and do not disagree. Personally, I'm not a fan of either option, but guess I'm old school like that and will use a map or my phone.

But I was simply stating, if people feel that a Tom Tom is obsolete because of smartphone GPS, then that would hold true for integrated GPS systems as well. Only time it wouldn't is for those people who still do not have GPS on their phones.

My Droid and Blackberry both have GPS. I still much prefer to use the in-vehicle nav unit. If MFT could utilize the GPS functionality of the phones and display it on the in-car screen, then I think we'd be close to eliminating the desire for any built-in GPS systems. It's coming eventually.

I think the Google Navigation in my T-Bolt is far superior to anything you can buy and stick on your windshield or you can have glued into your dash. The best part is that it's constantly updating and it's free.