Matching Corvette's drag race on Thanksgiving.

chuck zepfel

Watching this video, ya almost know what's gonna happen...but exactly when - is the mystery. The long traffic signal keeps ya in suspense a bit.

http://jalopnik.com/5862633/identical-corvettes-crash-in-thanksgiving-stoplight-drag-race-fail?popular=true&autoplay

While they're Ford competition, it sure is a waste to crash them...but boys will be boys. I guess they didn't have too much to be thankful for after that happened.

ChuckZ

Harvest, AL

Good. I see plenty of that in The Woodlands. Too much money and not enough brains.

Anyone with a high powered sports car should take some DE classes with the local Corvette club or whatever club applies. Learn how to drive the damn thing. Today a bunch of idiots destroyed about 7 or 8 Ferraris on Japanese highway along with Lambo and MB vehicles. What a mess of Ferrari red car parts all over the landscape. A couple of weekends with local club even doing Autocross helps a lot. Explore the limits of your sports car and what to do when car starts to understeer usually in RWD vehicle. Looks like that Vette snapped right around on him and then drives the other Vette into median.

• Like 1

Anyone with a high powered sports car should take some DE classes with the local Corvette club or whatever club applies. Learn how to drive the damn thing. Today a bunch of idiots destroyed about 7 or 8 Ferraris on Japanese highway along with Lambo and MB vehicles. What a mess of Ferrari red car parts all over the landscape. A couple of weekends with local club even doing Autocross helps a lot. Explore the limits of your sports car and what to do when car starts to understeer usually in RWD vehicle. Looks like that Vette snapped right around on him and then drives the other Vette into median.

Or you could just not drive like an idiot on public roads.

• Like 3

WTF, how could anyone f-up up driving in a straight line :hysterical:

You've obviously never drag raced with a high powered car before...or drag raced at all by the sounds of it.

People who haven't done it think it's just push the gas and speed away, same as people who have never ran a stock car think ,"it's just driving in cirlces, how hard could that be?"

I can't watch the video at work but by the sounds of it, one lost traction and either didn't get out of it in time (peddling) or has no clue how to throttle steer.

Stick your ass in my mustang and pull the trigger I think you'll get a HEALTHY respect for "just driving in a straight line" (I normally trip the 60ft beams with the back tires) :shades:

edit, forgot to mention, any douchebag that street races is an idiot, period! I DRAGRACE, which is a legally sanctioned and controlled motorsport conducted on a safe/secure closed facility by cars which have been tech inspected. Streetracing is illegal and performed by people who should go to jail or be fined very heavily.

Edited by goinbroke2
  • Like 1

You've obviously never drag raced with a high powered car before...or drag raced at all by the sounds of it.

People who haven't done it think it's just push the gas and speed away, same as people who have never ran a stock car think ,"it's just driving in cirlces, how hard could that be?"

I can't watch the video at work but by the sounds of it, one lost traction and either didn't get out of it in time (peddling) or has no clue how to throttle steer.

Stick your ass in my mustang and pull the trigger I think you'll get a HEALTHY respect for "just driving in a straight line" (I normally trip the 60ft beams with the back tires) :shades:

edit, forgot to mention, any douchebag that street races is an idiot, period! I DRAGRACE, which is a legally sanctioned and controlled motorsport conducted on a safe/secure closed facility by cars which have been tech inspected. Streetracing is illegal and performed by people who should go to jail or be fined very heavily.

It looks to me that the one guy was looking over at the other car, instead of looking straight ahead. The road bends a bit to the left, and I don't think he realized it right away, and when he did, he over corrected.

I can't believe the police wasted their time on this. It reminds me of the fruit throwing incident here in town at a hockey game a few weeks back. More tax dollars wasted.

Maybe if the Cops spent out money finding those who can't parallel park, reverse park, merge, make lane changes, etc, then our roads would actually be a lot safer

• Like 3

It looks to me that the one guy was looking over at the other car, instead of looking straight ahead. The road bends a bit to the left, and I don't think he realized it right away, and when he did, he over corrected.

I can't believe the police wasted their time on this. It reminds me of the fruit throwing incident here in town at a hockey game a few weeks back. More tax dollars wasted.

Maybe if the Cops spent out money finding those who can't parallel park, reverse park, merge, make lane changes, etc, then our roads would actually be a lot safer

Street racing is a crime and very dangerous. I doubt they spent much time since all they had to do was punch the plate numbers into their computer and send an officer out to the addresses. It's just as likely that the cops investigated the accident scene since the Vette would have required a tow and got some story about how it happened.

Hard to believe you would compare this to throwing fruit, parking, merging and making a lane change. Cops get paid to enforce the laws. They don't get paid by the arrest.

Good to see that this incident may be prosecuted as a felony. Hopefully both Corvettes will be confiscated too!

Other than being vindictive, what would that accomplish? Nothing.

If they can afford to jerk around in a vette then they can afford to fix or replace it.

As I said I'm 100% against street racing. About the only thing worse than street racing is the lame stream media calling two cars tearing through traffic at 100+mph, zig-zagging around cars and passing on the wrong side..drag racing! :angry2::censored::banghead:

Since they go around corners, why don't they say "two cars nascar racing last night..." or "a group of cars travelling at high speeds, (known as formula one racing) were stopped by police when..."

No, they call it drag racing! :redcard:

F%^&ing IDIOTS!!! :angry2:

• Like 1

Other than being vindictive, what would that accomplish?

I don't interpret vehicle confiscation as being vindictive. By their actions, the two drivers involved in this street racing incident surrendered their privilege to operate motor vehicles on public roads, at least temporarily. As such the perps should be expected to surrender as well the "weapons" involved in their wrongdoing, namely the Corvettes. I believe the province of Ontario in Canada imposes exactly this penalty for street racing.

btw, I agree with you goinbroke2 that this incident should NOT be termed drag racing, which is a sanctioned competitive sport.

Edited by aneekr

How would you feel if they had hit an innocent bystander?

But they didn't, so the point is moot.

How would you feel if little Suzy blew through a stop sign while doing the speed limit and ran Granny over?

The reality is, "innocent bystanders" are involved in accidents where the vehicles aren't "racing". Explain to me how running a red light is somehow worse than "racing" is?

I don't interpret vehicle confiscation as being vindictive. By their actions, the two drivers involved in this street racing incident surrendered their privilege to operate motor vehicles on public roads, at least temporarily. As such the perps should be expected to surrender as well the "weapons" involved in their wrongdoing, namely the Corvettes.

Why stop at "racing"? Failing to stop at a red light is far more dangerous in my opinion. What about improper lane changes? Why don't we just start taking vehicles for everything? I had a car end up on the law of one of my rental places because the chick driving it mixed up the gas and break pedal, when she realized she drove past her friends house. Imagine if my tenants' kids were out front. Would you advocate for her car to be taken away?

I believe the province of Ontario in Canada imposes exactly this penalty for street racing.

They have, and it is completely against our Charter of Rights. Essentially, you are found guilty before having your day in court. It's just another idiotic Liberal law that does nothing to make our roads safer

• Like 3

Since the incident discussed in this thread occured in Texas, you can find answers to these questions here. Or consult an attorney.

The question I asked was directed at you. I realize linking to the traffic act was an easy way of avoiding the issue, but it didn't answer the question.

The difference is between a deliberate act of reckless endangerment and unintentional negligence. Most people would think twice before street racing if they knew they could lose their vehicles.

I'm not quite sure how running a red light can be termed "unintentional negligence". If you run a red, it is because you weren't paying attention to the road. IMO, bad drivers (or drivers who don't pay attention) are the most dangerous drivers out there.

Wouldn't it be fair to say that if you car can be stolen by the Government for running a red light, people would pay more attention when approaching the intersection?

• Like 3

I'm not quite sure how running a red light can be termed "unintentional negligence". If you run a red, it is because you weren't paying attention to the road. IMO, bad drivers (or drivers who don't pay attention) are the most dangerous drivers out there.

Wouldn't it be fair to say that if you car can be stolen by the Government for running a red light, people would pay more attention when approaching the intersection?

It's the difference between shooting a gun towards a crowd and having a gun accidentally discharge.

One is an intentional act with unintentional consequences. The other is an unintentional act.

• Like 2

Both are crimes, period. If you break the law then you should be punished according to the law.

However, there is no reason for the government to arbitrarily confiscate private possesions.

You were speeding---we take your car

You stepped in wet cement-----we take your shoes

You broke a window with a baseball----we take your ball

You come into the harbour to fast----we take your boat

:confused:

See how stupid it is when you sit back and look at it? The government should not be confiscating private property unless it is to receive renumeration. In other words, if a drug dealer is using a house to make drugs or bought the house with drug money then they do. Or in an automotive case, if a car was used in an armed robbery or a deliberate hit and run (attempted murder).

Taking a car is plain vindictive which serves no purpose other than making others "feel good". Perhaps jelousy, anger from memories of a similar accident, whatever. When someone enjoys the suffering of others, it tells more about that person than the one suffering.

Who is the confiscation aimed at pleasing? A cop or politician stands in front of a camera and say "we got him, and on top of that we took his car" Is that like "nya nya, in your face!" :shades: Or the proverbial "that'll teach you"! :baby:

I don't believe the government should be able to arbitrarily confiscate private possesions, whether it's a legal gun, car, boat, house, bicycle, whatever, unless a serious crime is involved not a petty one. And while I'm not neccesarily calling street racing petty, it's certainly not in the same league as get-away car or a person dealing drugs from the trunk.

• Like 2