Raptor cleaner than a leaf blower & a Fiat 500

Interesting article!

I found this particularly noteworthy:

When the Raptor (and the Fiat) was running Phase 2 of its tests on the dyno, it was cleaning the air of hydrocarbons. Yes, there were actually fewer hydrocarbons in the Raptor's exhaust than in the air it — and we — breathed. In the Raptor's case, the ambient air contained 2.821 ppm of total hydrocarbons, and the amount of total hydrocarbons coming out the Raptor's tailpipe measured 2.639 ppm.

In the article it states that the Raptor was "California Trim". I know CA has more stringent emissions rules, but I thought most manufacturers were adopting them for all their vehicles (or maybe not?). Is the emissions systems on the Raptor different for those sold in CA or were they just being dopey in their writing?

This can't be true. The Raptor has a V8...which is the devil in most automakers eye. Even extremely efficient and powerful V8s like the 5.0 are gas guzzling demons that need to be killed.

/sarcasm

What this really shows is how insanely clean new, modern engines are. I, for one, can really appreciate the amount of engineering that allows a 6.2L V8 to operate cleaner than a little leaf blower.

Plus, this is just more evidence as to how silly all of these alternative fuel vehicles are (Volt, Leaf, the EV Focus, etc).

You do realize that just because it burns "cleaner" doesn't mean it burns less fuel, right?

Absolutely. :shades:

And burning more fuel means the truck releases far more CO2 into the atmosphere.

Oh nos...not carbon dioxide!?!?!?!!?!?!?!??!?

Edited by Boss444

In the article it states that the Raptor was "California Trim". I know CA has more stringent emissions rules, but I thought most manufacturers were adopting them for all their vehicles (or maybe not?). Is the emissions systems on the Raptor different for those sold in CA or were they just being dopey in their writing?

New York is classified as a "green state" and uses California style emission standards for new car sales.