MT: Truck of the Year '12 F-150

I think you may have gotten a vehicle/engine on the low end of the bell curve for performance/fuel economy. Yours is a single data point. Anecdotal at best. I've offered mine several times as well, with an almost identical truck - 2011 4X4 Lariat EcoBoost with Max Tow Package, so the gas-guzzling 3.73 rear gears. We now have 27K miles and a lifetime average of 18.9mpg. We've seen 21mpg at 74mph cruise control on flat highways, and 19.5mpg at 74mph cruise control on hilly (western PA) highways.

You keep making statements that "all EcoBoosts are overrated," and state that "everyone" on the internet is lying about their numbers, but hold up your single example as incontrovertible proof. I think reality lies somewhere in between, don't you?

Unless you live in an area that is completely flat, I doubt you are getting those numbers....

Even in Flat Florida, 17mpg is the best it would do at 70mph.....period....

Is is possible that something is wrong with mine? Possible, but I would hate to think that Ford's quality control is so poor that it would allow that big of a variation from vehicle to vehicle....

Edited by sranger
  • Like 2

One other note. Almost every published test I have seen ( other than the hyper mileage stunts) have put the actual "observed gas mileage" of the Ecoboost mostly match what I am getting. So, saying that my MPG is unusually low would be hard for me to believe based on these published tests and also talking to other Ecoboost owners....

It would seem far more likely that the higher MPG numbers are the exception rather than the rule......

• Like 1

Unless you live in an area that is completely flat, I doubt you are getting those numbers....

Even in Flat Florida, 17mpg is the best it would do at 70mph.....period....

Is is possible that something is wrong with mine? Possible, but I would hate to think that Ford's quality control is so poor that it would allow that big of a variation from vehicle to vehicle....

Who's to say you are right and he is wrong. Who are you to doubt the numbers he is getting. You don't like when people doubt your numbers, or think your numbers are an anomaly, so why should you doubt his?

Honestly, from what I have heard, your numbers are not the normal numbers for the EB. Yours seem to be a little low. What the reason is, I don't know, and I can't say, but for you to bash others and say "that isn't possible" is just wrong.

• Like 1

the physics of sound

The physics of sound is not sound. Sound is what you perceive. If there is no perception, there is no sound. You admit it yourself by saying 'the physics of sound'.

"Sound" is based on physical processes, but it is what your brain does with those physical processes that makes it 'sound'.

Why is 'red' red? Why is 'blue' blue? There is no reason why shorter wavelengths should appear 'blue' as opposed to 'red'. There is, in fact, no physical basis for the colors of the spectrum to be what they are, although there is a consistency in where we perceive them to be.

Grasp the dividing point between physical processes and perception, and the whole world becomes a much more amazing place. It's like stepping from a two dimensional world into a three dimensional one.

Phenomenology. Read up on it. It was to philosophy what relativity was to physics.

• Like 2

Nah. You probably won't do that.

I mean, godforbid that people spend their whole lives learning new things. I mean if you haven't learned it by the time you're twenty, or twenty-five TOPS, there is just no point in learning it.

And the worst thing possible is to learn something that is not immediately connected with your work or leisure. Knowing stuff sucks.

I think you may have gotten a vehicle/engine on the low end of the bell curve for performance/fuel economy. Yours is a single data point. Anecdotal at best. I've offered mine several times as well, with an almost identical truck - 2011 4X4 Lariat EcoBoost with Max Tow Package, so the gas-guzzling 3.73 rear gears. We now have 27K miles and a lifetime average of 18.9mpg. We've seen 21mpg at 74mph cruise control on flat highways, and 19.5mpg at 74mph cruise control on hilly (western PA) highways.

You keep making statements that "all EcoBoosts are overrated," and state that "everyone" on the internet is lying about their numbers, but hold up your single example as incontrovertible proof. I think reality lies somewhere in between, don't you?

Sounds like Blackhorse talking about his $13,000 2012 Focus hatch. If those with personal agenda are not happy, then everyone owning the vehicle must be unhappy. Go viral and hopefully everyone catches the fever.

• Like 1

Really? So the 3.5L EB does not, in fact, get better fuel economy than the 6.2L (which is the only other truck engine Ford offers that will tow 10k+ lbs with an F150)? Seems the EPA seems to disagree with you. Damn, you should be certifying vehicles for the fuel economy standards instead of the EPA since you apparently know a helluva lot more than they do.

It's amazing how many on internet act like EPA numbers on sticker came out of a hat. There is some variation of course, but the EPA numbers on average are pretty accurate. Anecdotally, it seems like some days, every big pickup on road is trying to drive in my trunk no matter what the road and my speed which is not slow and doddering. I find pickup drivers to be very fast and aggressive, and not surprised they are on low side of EPA numbers.

Who's to say you are right and he is wrong. Who are you to doubt the numbers he is getting. You don't like when people doubt your numbers, or think your numbers are an anomaly, so why should you doubt his?

Honestly, from what I have heard, your numbers are not the normal numbers for the EB. Yours seem to be a little low. What the reason is, I don't know, and I can't say, but for you to bash others and say "that isn't possible" is just wrong.

I am not saying his numbers are definitely wrong, but they have to be on flat ground..... I have not met a single person who owns an ecoboost 4x4 that lives in a non-flat area is getting the 19-20mpg at 75mph which is what he claimed.

EVERYONE I have talked too is getting much closer to 17-18mpg at 70-75 with the Ecoboost in a 4x4 supercrew configuration so I am certain that the higher MPG numbers are the exception rather than the rule and almost always are in areas that are mostly flat......

By the way another engineer where I work bought a 2wd Super Crew Lariat Ecoboost recently. (His is black/adobe as well) He only has about 1000 miles on it, but is getting almost the same mileage (within 1mpg) that I do so I guess he got a Bad Truck too?

So now, at our company, we have Two Ecoboosts, One 5.0L, One 5.4L, and One 6.2L F150's.

Two of our customers have a 4x4 Ecoboost super crew. ( One is the exact same model color and options as mine) One gets about the same mileage that I do and the other always says he gets about 1mpg better. I guess they got a Bad Truck Too.....

I find it interesting that Ford seems to send all of their defective trucks to Georgia and the rest of the country gets the good ones....

Edited by sranger
  • Like 1

Anecdotally, it seems like some days, every big pickup on road is trying to drive in my trunk no matter what the road and my speed which is not slow and doddering. I find pickup drivers to be very fast and aggressive, and not surprised they are on low side of EPA numbers.

Weird. Cause anecdotally when in my F150, every car wants to ride my tail (doesn't matter which lane I'm in, nor how fast/slow I'm going) so I can barely see them out my rear-view mirrors. They all want to pass/cut me off, just to get in front of me and make a turn at the very next street. But I think the worst drivers I see, are those CUV (Small & Mid-size) drivers.

And when weather is good here in Denver, car drivers are way more aggressive, and way too cautious in snow. Where as truck drivers are less aggressive in regular sunny/dry conditions, but there are some who are too aggressive in the snow. Those are those typical "I have AWD/4WD" people that think it'll help them stop fast too.

And when weather is good here in Denver, car drivers are way more aggressive, and way too cautious in snow. Where as truck drivers are less aggressive in regular sunny/dry conditions, but there are some who are too aggressive in the snow. Those are those typical "I have AWD/4WD" people that think it'll help them stop fast too.

It's the same around here! We had a dusting of snow a couple weeks back (I mean dusting...< 1"). Idiots forgot how to drive in the snow, so they drove 15. Yes, 15 MPH! That causes more accidents than it prevents because people come up behind you driving sensibly, and they have to slam on their brakes to slow down, putting them in the ditch. But, oddly enough, almost every vehicle that was in the ditch was AWD/4WD.

"Sound" is based on physical processes, but it is what your brain does with those physical processes that makes it 'sound'.

Here is a more concrete example - a dog whistle. Does a dog whistle make a sound? You'd say no because you don't hear it. But a dog would say yes. A tree falling would produce sound waves but it only produces a sound if there is a compatible listening device to translate the sound waves into an audible sound.

Kind of like the guy who drives a 1989 Mystique and tries to tell you he knows more about your high performance sports car than you do. You just nod your head and walk if not run away.

Or the guy who thinks the automobile market in metro Detroit is exactly the same as every other city in the U.S.?

I am not saying his numbers are definitely wrong, but they have to be on flat ground..... I have not met a single person who owns an ecoboost 4x4 that lives in a non-flat area is getting the 19-20mpg at 75mph which is what he claimed.

Perhaps he's using straight gas while everyone in GA is using E-10........

It's the same around here! We had a dusting of snow a couple weeks back (I mean dusting...< 1"). Idiots forgot how to drive in the snow, so they drove 15. Yes, 15 MPH! That causes more accidents than it prevents because people come up behind you driving sensibly, and they have to slam on their brakes to slow down, putting them in the ditch. But, oddly enough, almost every vehicle that was in the ditch was AWD/4WD.

Ha! Sounds like my wife. We had snow two weekends ago, about 2-4 inches, which is nothing here and I had to follow her to her mothers house. Wouldn't you know it, she never got over 20mph on perfectly clear roads and had some old blue hairs passing us by in their Crown Vic. Boy did my manhood take a hit on that one.

What?

- Most of those who are 'in denial' about the PowerShift are saying only that the problem is not as bad as the Cassandras are trying to make it appear.

- No, it doesn't make a noise. Sound/noise is a function of perception. Read up on your phenomenology. This question is only interesting for Cartesians, the philosophical equivalent of the Flat Earth Society.

Good answers (on both points). However, the "issues" with the powershift were apparently widespread/bad enough for Ford to come up with updated software.

• Like 1

Good answers (on both points). However, the "issues" with the powershift were apparently widespread/bad enough for Ford to come up with updated software.

The majority of the "issues" were just shuddering at slower speeds which I experienced on my daughter's first focus but only some off the time. It was just a mild annoyance - nothing more.

Nobody else has reported the types of problems that Blackhorse reported - that was obviously a stand alone mechanical problem.

• Like 1

Why don't you ask that engineer what he thinks of anecdotal evidence, as compared to scientifically gathered data.

I am an engineer as well... If you get enough anecdotal evidence you can establish a trend.....

Common sense and personal experience tells me that these trucks DO NOT get 20mpg at 75mph on non-level ground. Would you agree or not?

• Like 1