2011's top 20 best-selling cars

DC Car Examiner

Full-size pickups from Ford and General Motors surpassed even their usual sales dominance last year, according to data released today, but some rankings were a bit more unusual farther down the best-seller list.

The Ford F-Series line has been the nation's best-selling vehicle for many straight years, and the Chevrolet Silverado has followed suit in nearly every recent year (with 2009 representing a rare exception).

And despite some unsettled months earlier this year, the Toyota Camry midsize sedan was once again the best-selling passenger car and the No. 3 vehicle overall, though its overall volume has fallen steadily each year since 2007, from 473,108 four years ago to 308,510 in 2011.

Continued at link, including full sales charts for YTD 2011 and for December:

http://www.examiner.com/cars-in-national/top-20-best-selling-cars-of-2011-and-december-2011

Plus top-10 charts for 13 approximate market classes:

http://www.examiner.com/cars-in-national/best-selling-cars-of-2011-and-december-2011-by-class

Edited by DC Car Examiner

Continued at link, including full sales charts for YTD 2011 and for December:

http://www.examiner.com/cars-in-national/top-20-best-selling-cars-of-2011-and-december-2011

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! How the mighty have fallen! Not that many years ago, Toyota sold 475,000 Camrys in one year and Ford probably sold maybe 150,000 Fusions, a 325,000 unit difference with Accord also much better than Fusion. Now four short years later, there is only about a 58,000 unit difference and Fusion sales have caught Accord sales even adding in Crosstour sales. Factoring in supply/tsunami issues doesn't come close to explaining Fusion sales vis a vis Camry and Accord sales.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! How the mighty have fallen! Not that many years ago, Toyota sold 475,000 Camrys in one year and Ford probably sold maybe 150,000 Fusions, a 325,000 unit difference with Accord also much better than Fusion. Now four short years later, there is only about a 58,000 unit difference and Fusion sales have caught Accord sales even adding in Crosstour sales. Factoring in supply/tsunami issues doesn't come close to explaining Fusion sales vis a vis Camry and Accord sales.

...and a few short years prior to that, Ford was selling half a million Tauruses and Explorers a year. These things go in cycles. The only real long-term consistencies here have been F-series and Silverado on top.

Are the domestic automakers fielding more competitive car entires today? Sure, and the sales numbers are beginning to reflect that. But this is certainly not any indication that the transplants are going to be beaten down anytime soon.

Edited by NickF1011

...and a few short years prior to that, Ford was selling half a million Tauruses and Explorers a year. These things go in cycles. The only real long-term consistencies here have been F-series and Silverado on top.

Are the domestic automakers fielding more competitive car entires today? Sure, and the sales numbers are beginning to reflect that. But this is certainly not any indication that the transplants are going to be beaten down anytime soon.

There does seem to be a trend away from one or two wildly dominant cars in most classes, though. Camry is still the No. 1 midsize car and Corolla and Civic are still at the top of the compact class, but not by the same margin as before. Many cars' sales have gone up in the same time that those three, and the Accord, have gone down -- the gap is narrowing from both ends.

So Nick, you think Toyota is going to catch Ford in N.A. sales or Honda going to catch Chrysler in annual sales anytime soon as they did in past? I don't barring any unforeseen safety/quality glitches like Sudden Acceleration syndrome. Fusion has caught Accord in sales this year and I look for Fusion to get mighty close to Camry this or next year assuming 2013 Fusion is all everyone including me is expecting it to be. Since both the Fusion and Escape are such huge sellers volume wise, I look for massive marketing with great lease deals as soon as dealers have decent inventory and present vehicles start to be sold out. MOMENTUM is everything in this business. Once you lose it as Ford did about the time shortly thereafter the Explorer/Firestone fiasco, it took Ford a new CEO and about 10 years to get the momentum again. Both Toyota and Honda need a new direction and much time to straighten themselves out to keep Ford and Hyundai/Kia from breathing down their backs.

So Nick, you think Toyota is going to catch Ford in N.A. sales or Honda going to catch Chrysler in annual sales anytime soon as they did in past? I don't barring any unforeseen safety/quality glitches like Sudden Acceleration syndrome. Fusion has caught Accord in sales this year and I look for Fusion to get mighty close to Camry this or next year assuming 2013 Fusion is all everyone including me is expecting it to be. Since both the Fusion and Escape are such huge sellers volume wise, I look for massive marketing with great lease deals as soon as dealers have decent inventory and present vehicles start to be sold out. MOMENTUM is everything in this business. Once you lose it as Ford did about the time shortly thereafter the Explorer/Firestone fiasco, it took Ford a new CEO and about 10 years to get the momentum again. Both Toyota and Honda need a new direction and much time to straighten themselves out to keep Ford and Hyundai/Kia from breathing down their backs.

Toyota could very well surpass Ford again in sales. It may not be next year or the year after, but it could definitely happen. Momentum is everything, but one thing about momentum -- it always changes eventually.

Look at how quickly the tide changed for Hyundai and now Chrysler. That same sort of drastic change could just as easily happen in the opposite direction for Ford or GM with a few unforeseen slip-ups (which are inevitable on some level).

All of this news in cool and all but I wish Ford had a Taurus Classic. Ya know, like Chevy did a while back with the Malibu and Olds with the Cutlass (same car). I miss the old design and it could be fitted with a nice turbo 4. I am just going back in time and fondly remembering the 2 Tuarii of my own.

All of this news in cool and all but I wish Ford had a Taurus Classic. Ya know, like Chevy did a while back with the Malibu and Olds with the Cutlass (same car). I miss the old design and it could be fitted with a nice turbo 4. I am just going back in time and fondly remembering the 2 Tuarii of my own.

Go to the huge Taurus Forum site. It has separate forums for each generation of Taurus and lots of interesting posts and info. I believe there are 6-7 separate generations of the historic vehicle. It's an awesome used car and millions still drive them and talk about them. Many post pics of their rides.

The American market has been evolving in the direction of the European one, where 5-6 automakers all have roughly similar market shares, and no manufacturer is dominant, as GM was from roughly 1940-1985. That means various vehicles will move in and out of the best-seller spot in their respective categories more often. Doesn't mean that the manufacturer in question is doomed because its entry is no longer number one in a particular segment, or that buyers are completely rejecting old favorites.

The manufacturers in real danger over the long haul are the second-tier Japanese makes - Mitsubishi, Suzuki and even Mazda. Fiat and Alfa Romeo will have a rough time, too, as it Fiat tries to re-establish them in this country.

But, sorry, Toyota and Honda aren't going anywhere.

The American market has been evolving in the direction of the European one, where 5-6 automakers all have roughly similar market shares, and no manufacturer is dominant, as GM was from roughly 1940-1985. That means various vehicles will move in and out of the best-seller spot in their respective categories more often. Doesn't mean that the manufacturer in question is doomed because its entry is no longer number one in a particular segment, or that buyers are completely rejecting old favorites.

The manufacturers in real danger over the long haul are the second-tier Japanese makes - Mitsubishi, Suzuki and even Mazda. Fiat and Alfa Romeo will have a rough time, too, as it Fiat tries to re-establish them in this country.

But, sorry, Toyota and Honda aren't going anywhere.

Oh come on grbeck, you're raning all over FordBuyers nice little sun shinny fantasy world where Ford is going to take over the market and all other manufactuers are going to go out of business. lol

No in all seriousness though, I think your assesment is pretty much dead on. No matter how much FordBuyer would like to see Toyota go out of business its not going to happen in our lifetimes.

No matter how much FordBuyer would like to see Toyota go out of business its not going to happen in our lifetimes.

I wouldn't say it's impossible, but it would take a lot more than a tsunami and some SUA to do it. Anything that could take down Toyota in the future could just as easily take down Ford.

Oh come on grbeck, you're raning all over FordBuyers nice little sun shinny fantasy world where Ford is going to take over the market and all other manufactuers are going to go out of business. lol

No in all seriousness though, I think your assesment is pretty much dead on. No matter how much FordBuyer would like to see Toyota go out of business its not going to happen in our lifetimes.

Hmmmm, I don't remember saying Toyota was headed for extinction or even on endangered list. What I remember saying is that Toyota and Honda are now just another auto company making a good product like everyone else. No longer are they up in rarified air where the domestics hope to get as Fusion and Escape sell as good or better than the Japanese juggernaut. All on equal footing now as far as perception goes and I believe it's fair to say the domestics now put out more exciting designs to boot as Honda goes weird and Toyota stays super conservative for the most part or just doesn't put any money into certain segments like compacts. Even Toyota incentives almost match the domestics compared to a few years ago when not only did they want sticker, but dealers would add after market stuff to make their markups. Those days are over. Domestics aren't seen as inferior anymore to the "superior," vaunted Toyota and Honda. Just another manufacturer now. In fact, Ford is probably best known for leading edge in car technology. Who would have thought that 10 years ago? Not me.

Hmmmm, I don't remember saying Toyota was headed for extinction or even on endangered list. What I remember saying is that Toyota and Honda are now just another auto company making a good product like everyone else. No longer are they up in rarified air where the domestics hope to get as Fusion and Escape sell as good or better than the Japanese juggernaut. All on equal footing now as far as perception goes and I believe it's fair to say the domestics now put out more exciting designs to boot as Honda goes weird and Toyota stays super conservative for the most part or just doesn't put any money into certain segments like compacts. Even Toyota incentives almost match the domestics compared to a few years ago when not only did they want sticker, but dealers would add after market stuff to make their markups. Those days are over. Domestics aren't seen as inferior anymore to the "superior," vaunted Toyota and Honda. Just another manufacturer now. In fact, Ford is probably best known for leading edge in car technology. Who would have thought that 10 years ago? Not me.

Remains to be seen. Ford did a great job with the Fusion but they flat out dropped the ball on the new Focus. The dual clutch transmission problems, MFT problems, steering problems, water leaks around the doors, fit and finish issues and no matter how much anyone wants to spin it, its not some isolated issue. The problems are common and widely reported with that car. The dealership here has 36 of the things just sitting on the lot not moving. They never had that many of the previous gen Focus just sitting around. It only takes one or two models like that and Ford is right back to having the same quality issues and perception problems of yesteryear. And as for this notion that people who hate cars buy Corollas. LOL Honestly I just have to tell you that if you actually believe that then you must be staggeringly naive. People who hate crappy cars buy Corollas because they know the Corolla will be rock solid reliable for years and years. Frankly if you parked a Corolla next to a Focus sedan, a Sentra sedan and a Civic Sedan there's not one of them that is going to take home the prize for exciting design. If you are in the market for an exciting body design and you are looking at compact commuter cars then you're looking at the wrong segment because that is not what these cars are about at all. So in all likelyhood Toyota is going to go right on selling boatloads of Corollas despite your personal opinion about its body design because people will buy it. They will buy it because it is a well engineered and reliable car for a good price that will last for years.

And the tranny doesn't suck.

So in all likelyhood Toyota is going to go right on selling boatloads of Corollas despite your personal opinion about its body design because people will buy it. They will buy it because it is a well engineered and reliable car for a good price that will last for years.

Pot meet Kettle...

Anyways....the point is that yes people might like bland and dependable, but you can't depend on that to keep selling cars. If someone makes a car that is fun and dependable, people are going to say hey look at that and give it a try.

Its just like having a burger at McDonalds vs some Burger joint like 5 Guys or Red Robin...they are both Burgers but the 5 Guys or Red Robin one costs a bit more and tastes better.

Pot meet Kettle...

Anyways....the point is that yes people might like bland and dependable, but you can't depend on that to keep selling cars. If someone makes a car that is fun and dependable, people are going to say hey look at that and give it a try.

Its just like having a burger at McDonalds vs some Burger joint like 5 Guys or Red Robin...they are both Burgers but the 5 Guys or Red Robin one costs a bit more and tastes better.

I ate at Red Robin once, it was awful. I sent my burger back and refused to have another.

Never went back.

Edited by BlackHorse

Best-sellers by class, for the year and for the month (not much difference between the two in most cases for December):

Subcompact cars

2011: Kia Soul (102,267)

Dec. 2011: Nissan Versa (9,939)

Compact cars

2011: Toyota Corolla/Matrix (240,259)

Dec. 2011: Toyota Corolla/Matrix (21,009)

Midsize cars

2011: Toyota Camry (308,510)

Dec. 2011: Toyota Camry (33,506)

Large cars

2011: Chevrolet Impala (171,434)

Dec. 2011: Chevrolet Impala (10,479)

Entry-luxury cars

2011: BMW 3-Series (94,371)

Dec. 2011: BMW 3-Series (8,489)

Luxury cars

2011: Mercedes-Benz E-Class (62,736)

Dec. 2011: Mercedes-Benz E-Class (5,301)

Compact SUVs

2011: Ford Escape (254,293)

Dec. 2011: Ford Escape (25,574)

Midsize SUVs

2011: Chevrolet Equinox (193,274)

Dec. 2011: Chevrolet Equinox (18,175)

Large SUVs

2011: Chevrolet Traverse (107,131)

Dec. 2011: Chevrolet Traverse (9,326)

Entry-luxury SUVs

2011: Lexus RX (82,595)

Dec. 2011: Lexus RX (11,508)

Luxury SUVs

2011: Mercedes-Benz GL (25,178)

Dec. 2011: Mercedes-Benz GL (2,539)

Vans

2011: Ford E-Series (116,874)

Dec. 2011: Ford E-Series (13,074)

Pickups

2011: Ford F-Series (584,917)

Dec. 2011: Ford F-Series (68,278)

Full sales charts:

http://www.examiner.com/cars-in-national/best-selling-cars-of-2011-and-december-2011-by-class

Best-sellers by class, for the year and for the month (not much difference between the two in most cases for December):

Subcompact cars

2011: Kia Soul (102,267)

Dec. 2011: Nissan Versa (9,939)

Compact cars

2011: Toyota Corolla/Matrix (240,259)

Dec. 2011: Toyota Corolla/Matrix (21,009)

Midsize cars

2011: Toyota Camry (308,510)

Dec. 2011: Toyota Camry (33,506)

Large cars

2011: Chevrolet Impala (171,434)

Dec. 2011: Chevrolet Impala (10,479)

Entry-luxury cars

2011: BMW 3-Series (94,371)

Dec. 2011: BMW 3-Series (8,489)

Luxury cars

2011: Mercedes-Benz E-Class (62,736)

Dec. 2011: Mercedes-Benz E-Class (5,301)

Compact SUVs

2011: Ford Escape (254,293)

Dec. 2011: Ford Escape (25,574)

Midsize SUVs

2011: Chevrolet Equinox (193,274)

Dec. 2011: Chevrolet Equinox (18,175)

Large SUVs

2011: Chevrolet Traverse (107,131)

Dec. 2011: Chevrolet Traverse (9,326)

Entry-luxury SUVs

2011: Lexus RX (82,595)

Dec. 2011: Lexus RX (11,508)

Luxury SUVs

2011: Mercedes-Benz GL (25,178)

Dec. 2011: Mercedes-Benz GL (2,539)

Vans

2011: Ford E-Series (116,874)

Dec. 2011: Ford E-Series (13,074)

Pickups

2011: Ford F-Series (584,917)

Dec. 2011: Ford F-Series (68,278)

Full sales charts:

if someone gets time perhaps they could research and post the incentives on all those top sellers.....no surprizes there if you get my drift

I ate at Red Robin once, it was awful. I sent my burger back and refused to have another.

Never went back.

Do I detect a pattern of behavior here? We get it Blackhorse. Your anecdotal experience with the new Focus was not good. I would say the launch of all new and leading edge Focus was a bit rocky, but I would suspect the great majority of problems with launch have been ironed out and 2012 should be good year for Focus. 14,000 sales last month was not horrible. Not sure why you have to keep beating us over the head about how bad your Focus was and how great your Corolla is on forum that has no use for the Corolla. I don't think you are going to persuade many on this forum. I try to be objective when looking at new vehicles. For example, the 2012 or 2012 MKS and MKZ wouldn't be on my buy list if looking at new luxury vehicles. Maybe the 2013 MKS and new MKZ after first year, but not what is in showrooms now. Same for Corolla. It just wouldn't be on my buy list if looking at compacts. Not even close. Toyota did a very weak MCE on it couple years ago and nothing since. As for Focus, I never buy first year all new vehicles period. Surprised you did. I thought you were sharper than that on buying vehicles. Not interested in dated vehicles like Corolla or all new vehicles like Focus with teething problems. Ford does have good track record though of correcting first year problems. The Escape had its shares of problems first year, and look at it now. However, I see the Escape as dated and it wouldn't be on my buy list. The new Escape a couple years after launch would be on my buy list if looking at small utes. It pays to do your research, take your time, and make a good decision on buying vehicles worth $25,000+ or even less. The sports car I recently bought I researched for over a year and looked at scores of them before I finallly bought. No problems first year anyway on expensive vehicle to fix. Porsche is not known for cheap parts and labor rates.

Um didnt the Explorer sell 135K units in the large SUV/CUV category?

The Traverse is significantly bigger than the Explorer, which I place with the midsizes. The Traverse is longer than a Tahoe and within an inch of its width, so I include it in both lists: the midsize models it most competes with, and the full-size models it's the physical size of.

There's no ideal system for dealing with these in-between models, to be sure, but that's the one I've developed.

Edited by DC Car Examiner

The Traverse is significantly bigger than the Explorer, which I place with the midsizes. The Traverse is longer than a Tahoe and within an inch of its width, so I include it in both lists: the midsize models it most competes with, and the full-size models it's the physical size of.

There's no ideal system for dealing with these in-between models, to be sure, but that's the one I've developed.

You categorization is off. The Taverse only has two more cubic feet of passenger volume.

Traverse

Length 205.0

Width 78.4

Wheelbase 118.9

Height 70.4

Headroom F/R 40.4/39.4

Hip Room F/R 59.1/57.8

Leg Room F/R 41.3/36.8

Shoulder Room F/R 62.0/61.3

Passenger Volume 154 cu ft

Explorer

Length 197.1