Raptor Build on Nat Geo Ultimate Factories 2/4/12 8 pm EST

The show is about the F-150 line. Really fascinating look at how complicated the assembly if these vehicles has become and how they are able to build so many different versions on the same line.

I highly recommend seeing this episode.

Better yet if you are looking for a good place to spend a couple of days, go to Dearborn and visit the Henry Ford Museum and combine it with a tour of DTP. In particular if you have young kids (age 10+)-what an education at the Museum. And the plant tour is great.

It was a great show...HOWEVER, did anyone notice when the vehicle entered the 'Clearcoat Spray Area"..they had non-robot humans spraying the vehicles.....and they were covered up like Eskimos which appeared they had limited vision and mobility...not to mention the fatigue issue and apparent hurried applications. One shot had a sprayer simply spraying 3 ft away in the air and not really concentrating on what they were doing....also did the same in the primer paint area. I would assume a robot (which normally applies the colored paint...and does not get tired arms/back) would do that job. Maybe its a union mandate to create union workers. I prefer the robot like ALL the Toyota and Nissan and Honda plants use. Whenever the human element gets involved....errors will occur.

The show is about the F-150 line. Really fascinating look at how complicated the assembly if these vehicles has become and how they are able to build so many different versions on the same line.

I highly recommend seeing this episode.

What model of F150 is not built at DTP?

There are actually 3. DTP cannot build the regular cab 8ft bed, extended cab 8ft bed, and we do not build the FX2.

The FX2 production was consolidated at KCAP, and DTP cannot get an 8ft bed through it's box line. That will be rectified when we are shut down for our retool.

Whenever the human element gets involved....errors will occur.

Who do you think maintains and programs the robots?

EDIT: And we don't have any mandate on creating human jobs. The company does what it wants. The human sprayers might have something to do with the fact that the paint building is not new. It was taken apart in Ohio when the last Thunderbird rolled off the line and then reassembled to paint Mustangs. There are rumors of the paint building being expanded and modernized, but noting in concrete.

Edited by Pioneer

I could swear that the people painting did not have breathing apparatus or masks on. I was also surprised to see that they paint the truck with the doors on, then remove the doors and send them to be fitted with the interior accessories, then the doors are then re-attached down the line!I I also liked how they kept raising and lowering the vehicle to keep workers from bending over.

I could swear that the people painting did not have breathing apparatus or masks on.

I saw one worker without a mask, but the rest were wearing them.

I was also surprised to see that they paint the truck with the doors on, then remove the doors and send them to be fitted with the interior accessories, then the doors are then re-attached down the line!I

That is so we are assured the paint matches. It is really neat to see everything come back together at the door hang line. Same thing with the bed. The truck, when it leaves the Body Shop, is set in it's configuration, down to if it has a tailgate step or not.

I also liked how they kept raising and lowering the vehicle to keep workers from bending over.

One interesting fact about that. Each worker can set the height that they want their "skillet" to be, and every one that comes through their workstation is automatically moved to that setting.

• Like 1

I saw one worker without a mask, but the rest were wearing them.

That is so we are assured the paint matches. It is really neat to see everything come back together at the door hang line. Same thing with the bed. The truck, when it leaves the Body Shop, is set in it's configuration, down to if it has a tailgate step or not.

One interesting fact about that. Each worker can set the height that they want their "skillet" to be, and every one that comes through their workstation is automatically moved to that setting.

I thought the part about sending the doors and bed off to be reunited at the end was the most interesting part of the process. There is some real genius in the set up of the plant.

There are actually 3. DTP cannot build the regular cab 8ft bed, extended cab 8ft bed, and we do not build the King Ranch.

The FX2 production was consolidated at KCAP, and DTP cannot get an 8ft bed through it's box line. That will be rectified when we are shut down for our retool.

Fixed it for ya buddy. We do build the FX2 now.