Focus 1.0 EB

72121253658418356x236.jpg

AUTOCAR

Should I buy one?

This engine is a game-changer. It shows just how much life remains in petrol engines of a suck-squeeze-bang-blow persuasion. And that nowadays there is indeed a substitute for cubic inches.

Daft as it may sound, the tiny but super-advanced turbo triple – engineered in Dunton, England – confers a remarkable new layer of smoothness and refinement on the Ford's big-selling C-segment hatchback that is so obvious, so impressive and so refreshing that it leaves the four-cylinder models gasping.

Steve Cropley's personal comments:

Stunned by the new three-cylinder Ford Focus

This will be sweet little engine in the Fiesta with a 6 speed manual of course. The question is when will the US get this version if ever? I know the Fiesta is at least several hundred lbs lighter than the Focus so if they could get the 0-60 times in the 10 second range or a bit less I think it would sell like hotcakes. That review didnt go into much detail but 50 something is impressive as all get out. I struggle to get this on a 1200 cc motorcycle

If it's gonna be as slow as the Prius, it better legitimately match it in MPG. Otherwise, it's not worth the time.

You are forgetting something.

price.

hybrid like effcentcy and a very non hybrid price.

If it can match hybrid perfromance, come close to hybrid effcency at a lower price point than a hybrid it will be successful.

You are forgetting something.

price.

hybrid like effcentcy and a very non hybrid price.

If it can match hybrid perfromance, come close to hybrid effcency at a lower price point than a hybrid it will be successful.

That's what I said, Biker...

If the efficiency is not close to the Prius, then it won't matter how much it costs; it won't move off lots. Check out Honda and how well the Insight and CR-Z aren't selling... considerably cheaper than the Prius and smaller, just about as powerful, but returning considerably fewer MPGs. And together moved fewer than 900 units last month.

That's what I said, Biker...

If the efficiency is not close to the Prius, then it won't matter how much it costs; it won't move off lots. Check out Honda and how well the Insight and CR-Z aren't selling... considerably cheaper than the Prius and smaller, just about as powerful, but returning considerably fewer MPGs. And together moved fewer than 900 units last month.

I can see where you are coming from, but your concerns are not valid.

this is not a hybrid.

It will best the insight's hwy MPGs of 44mpg, it has more power than the insight's 98hp and more torque.

this is not a hybrid.

It will best the insight's hwy MPGs of 44mpg, it has more power than the insight's 98hp and more torque.

OK, 1.0EB Focus Hybrid, how's our price looking..around $24k - same as Prius.

I bet the fuel economy is now way better though, probably give Volt a big shock..

this is not a hybrid.

You'll have to pardon my pessimism, then, about whether a more powerful, heavier, just-as-slow car can return enough MPGs to be worth the time.

I'm gonna "wait and see" on this one.

why would it need to be a hybrid?

48Mpg non hybrid.

Two things:

Hybrid add a bit more launch performance thanks to electric assist and would reduce that 0-60 time considerably..

Not only does hybrid dramatically improves city gas mileage, it also highway mileage by about 10% (Fusion)

So you could have a non hybrid EB Focus that gets 48 m,pg and locks the door on diesel competitors (Cruze/ Golf)

Ford could also do an aggressive plug in hybrid using the 1.0 EB and rip the guts out of Volt's potential sales..

Edited by jpd80

Ford could also do an aggressive plug in hybrid using the 1.0 EB and rip the guts out of Volt's potential sales..

This is sad, but that idea has me really excited! I would totally buy one of those! Focus Electric be damned! lol

Edited by Aussie_Ford

All this comparison with one of dullest driving cars on the globe (Prius) against one of the best driving cars on the Globe (Focus). :hysterical:

UK MSRPs

Focus 1.0 EcoBoost £16,254

Prius £ 21,055

Almost $8,000 USD more for one of the most boring cars to drive. Take your pic :reading:

This is sad, but that idea has me really excited! I would totally buy one of those! Focus Electric be damned! lol

You know, I have this feeling that a 50 mpg Fiesta will win more hearts than a pedestrian like Focus that gets 48 mpg.

I could be very wrong but adding a 40 hp hybrid motor will put things right and give other hybrids something to think about..

Edited by jpd80

"A 40 hp hybrid motor" And precisely, what would this 40hp wonder be, a 300cc EcoBoost 1-cylinder? Maybe some kind of stratified-charge design? :)

No, motor as in electric motor, ..

Check the posts above that one, I was continuing my idea of adding a 40 Hp electric motor

to a 1.0 EB Focus and increasing fuel economy and acceleration so as to rival Prius and Volt......:shades:

Edited by jpd80