OMG Ford Mustang GT500 at Nurbugring....

Word is, the GT500 was pulling 179mph on the long straight. Also, that it carried more speed through the following turn, than the ZL1 did.

I imagine we will get more info in tiny little bits, as time goes on.

We need to ask for a new permit holder to run a 2013 to horrible times on VIR, or something, to get SVT to release the "ring" time. Not that I care about the actual time. No................... I care about the discussion that will ensue.

• Like 4

I'm waiting for Ford to issue a press release that talks about how the GT 500 broke an 'official' record for some sort of vehicle.

Because, you know, that's what all the 'cool' car companies are doing these days.

Thank god for that. Those cool car companies happen to be driving the current performance revolution. You can knock the validity of such benchmarks all you want, but I think we can all agree that the culture that goes along with such exercizes has accelerated development to our benefit.
  • Like 1

"Driving the current performance revolution."

What a dumb thing to say. Ford is driving this 'peformance revolution' as much or more so than any other manufacturer.

What's revolutionary about expensive cars providing high performance? Nothing.

Being able to buy a 300hp car for under $25k? That's revolutionary.

Thank god for that. Those cool car companies happen to be driving the current performance revolution. You can knock the validity of such benchmarks all you want, but I think we can all agree that the culture that goes along with such exercizes has accelerated development to our benefit.

Nice to see the Americans upping their standards and trying to compete with the German top rated performance vehicles. The Mustang and Corvette are much better all around vehicles than they were a few years ago. Now Lincoln needs such a vehicle. Lexus has been trying to out BMW for years and failed, but their sales and profits have gone up over the years of trying because they have for most part at least gotten that message across. Cadillac has at least tried, but still third tier with Lincoln at bottom but looking to go up.

• Like 1

Show me ANY $25k German vehicle that can compete with the V6 Mustang. Or any $30k German vehicle that can compete with the GT.

The Germans except for maybe VW don't compete in that market and never have. Lexus doesn't compete in that market either. Yes, I think it's great that a $25,000 Mustang can compete with imports costing much more, and I'm sure the competition is worried. Money does matter. The new Focus ST is nicely priced also. I think it's great that Ford and other domestics are making great, all around performance vehicles for more affordable prices than what Germany usually offers. Keep them coming as in Fusion ST for affordable price along with high performance Dart, Cruze, Malibu, and so on. Similar quality, performance for half the price works for me.

The Germans except for maybe VW don't compete in that market and never have.

VW doesn't, the Germans don't, and this notion that Ford has something to prove vis a vis "The Germans" is asinine.

What does Ford have to prove? Everywhere cars are raced, Ford has raced and won. In every segment of car sold, Ford has sold performance. They have nothing to prove and they have no need of approval.

Edited by RichardJensen

Garbage.

Those "cool" car companies are Nissan and GM. There are no benchmarks, and the Nurburgring isn't even tangentially relevant to the '13 GT 500.

Color me silly, but it's nice to know that the high performance vehicle you bought can turn a hot lap at super long Nurburgring track and didn't have parts fall off, blow engine, overheat, cook the oil, and other maladies. I remember getting into pissing match in my younger days on I94 with BMW 3 Series, and as speed climbed, that BMW just planted itself more on suspension and looked so much more comfortable than me at high speeds we were flirting with. Meanwhile, after a few miles of this, I got off next ramp and went and checked my oil and let car cool down a litte. Now of course a Mustang GT is much more comfortable at those speeds over long duration. My vehicle at time was Mustang 5.0 with Holley 4 barrel for better throttle response and tuned headers plus a few other goodies. No way was I as planted at high speed as that BMW. I'm very comfortable at 130+mph in my Porsche as it similarly really squats down more at higher speeds when I track it. 150mph in 80's era Mustang would not be comfortable at all. In BMW or Porsche not bad at all. The newest from Ford I would probably be comfortable with if not for speed limiters.

• Like 1

Color me silly, but it's nice to know that the high performance vehicle you bought can turn a hot lap at super long Nurburgring track and didn't have parts fall off, blow engine, overheat, cook the oil, and other maladies. I remember getting into pissing match in my younger days on I94 with BMW 3 Series, and as speed climbed, that BMW just planted itself more on suspension and looked so much more comfortable than me at high speeds we were flirting with. Meanwhile, after a few miles of this, I got off next ramp and went and checked my oil and let car cool down a litte. Now of course a Mustang GT is much more comfortable at those speeds over long duration. My vehicle at time was Mustang 5.0 with Holley 4 barrel for better throttle response and tuned headers plus a few other goodies. No way was I as planted at high speed as that BMW. I'm very comfortable at 130+mph in my Porsche as it similarly really squats down more at higher speeds when I track it. 150mph in 80's era Mustang would not be comfortable at all. In BMW or Porsche not bad at all. The newest from Ford I would probably be comfortable with if not for speed limiters.

meh, I had an 88 5.0 with a saleen kit, it sat solid at 140 plus, went 130 once in the Mini ( slight downhill ) it was squirrely.....been over 140 a couple of times on the bike, still plenty left, rock solid....course at that speed a wing gust wouldnt be a lot of fun....so i would lay the onus on high speed aero more tha anything else....

Really: "Trying"

Hogwash.

You know what would be 'trying'? Porsche at an NHRA strip. BMW in Nascar. Mercedes in WRC. VW in F1. Or the aforementioned >$25k 300 hp cars.

That's your 'trying' right there.

Hey, there are lots of You Tube videos of 320hp Porsche Spyder ripping up Mustang GT, Dodge Challenger, some Corvettes, latest 500hp Cadillac CTS, and other supposed big time drag cars at the TIS dragway. The dude had a PDK trans and just skunked them all. The Hemi Challenger guy couldn't believe it and demanded a rematch and still lost again. The Spyder finally lost to ZR1 Corvette after winning like 7 straight races against big time power muscle cars. So German cars go fast in straight line also. AMG MB's are the fastest of the German vehicles.

• Like 1

"Silly" is not the word I'd use to describe driving racing on a public road at well over a hundred MPH.

Damned irresponsible, criminally negligent, idiotic, stupid, pigheaded, and arrogant are the words that come to mind.

yup, me, I wait ( well in my younger days ) untill theres no-one around....one of the roads down the hill has claimed several lives due to stoplight racing...

"Silly" is not the word I'd use to describe driving racing on a public road at well over a hundred MPH.

Damned irresponsible, criminally negligent, idiotic, stupid, pigheaded, and arrogant are the words that come to mind.

So you never did anything stupid in your younger years as in being impulsive? When I was 18, I bought a drag racing motorcycle and my parents kicked me out of house because of it. I had to keep it at friend's house. After using up about four of my nine lives in one year, I sold it while still in one piece. It definitely was a thrill ride from 0-80 mph. Also, back in 80's the interstates didn't have the traffic they do now. As I remember, it was early in morning and not much traffic for miles. Going up North on I-75 was same as with radar dectector you could pick your speed as in certain areas really no traffic like today that is ridiculous.

back on subject...am I the only one wondering, because its obvious the GT500 has done a lap of the Ring, why a time HASNT been posted?...could it be that a certain Chevy was perhaps quicker???????.......or were the cars Ford had , just development mules ?.....hmmmm