Escape vs fusion. Which would you get?

I'm in the market for a new car and I've narrowed it down to either the new escape or new fusion. I checked out the escape yesterday. The dealer had 3, two se's without myford touch but had the power liftgate for around 27k and a loaded titanium for around 35k. The myford touch really makes a big difference in the way the interior looks and I'm not sure I would get an escape without it. An se with the touch and upgraded wheels and the cargo system is around 27600 so you might as well get the sel for around 27800. While I really liked this vehicle, I'm thinking that the fusion will be a better value. A fusion se with appearance package and technology package rings up around 26745. I know these prices are not set yet but in the past they have been pretty close so I don't think it will be that far off from what the price actually is. seems like I would be getting more for my money with the fusion plus I like the looks of it a bit better than the escape. I haven't seen the fusion in person though so I can only go by the pics I've seen. I'm leaning towards the fusion but does anyone know when they will be available? The website says fall, just curious if anyone has a more exact timeframe

It really depends on what you use you vehicle for. If you ever have the need to haul larger items, go camping, have a cabin, do light off roading, have a large dog, or take trips with a lot of luggage, I'd go with the Escape. If you only use your car for hotel trips, getting to work and running errands, go with the Fusion. They're both nice vehicles, but serve different needs. If you have a relationship with a dealership, talk to them and find out when they will have a Fusion for training. They usually send them out for training a few months before they hit dealerships. That might be a way to get a look at one, you won't be able to drive it, but should get a chance to sit in it and get an idea if it fits your needs.

• Like 2

transitman summed it up nicely. :yup:

My additional comment is that if you're a manual transmission enthusiast, the Fusion is the way to go since Ford decided not to offer an MT on 2013 Escape (thus far).

As far as dates are concerned, SOP for 2013 MY Fusion is tentatively scheduled for the week of August 13, 2012. I'd expect customer deliveries to commence four to six weeks after that.

Edited by aneekr
  • Like 1

The only factor for me is really the price and space. I need a backseat big enough for a car seat, while still having enough room up front for someone over six feet. Ths ruled out the focus. Could have had a titanium focus with all the options I wanted for around 23k on A plan but the back seat was way too small. We already have a 09 escape so that can handle all the camping and stuff like that. I also figure a car seat will fit equally well in both the fusion and escape. I like riding higher up in an suv but I also like the handling of my current car and the fusion will probably be similar to it.

My thoughts:

If you need the cargo area in the Escape a few times a month (like you find yourself going to -insert warehouse club type store name here- in the Escape because it's easier), go with the Escape. If you only use the cargo area a few times a year, go with the Fusion.

If you're In between I'd lean toward the Escape. But that's just me. Fuel would be within a few bucks a month of the Fusion.

Edited by RichardJensen

Obviously, my personal preference is also the Escape and as much as I would like an Edge, optioned the way I like, it's a bit out of my price comfort range. I currently have a Gen. 3 Focus which is too small, and I had a Fusion which was a great car but the cargo capacity was limited, and the rear deck got in the way of transporting anything with height. Based on the additional info you added in your second post that you already have an Escape, I would go with the Fusion. Run your Escape for 8-10 years and replace it. If you're into the tech gadgets, the Fusion gives you more with lane keeping, adaptive cruise control and start stop technologies, which at this time the Escape does not, also there's four engine choices with the Hybrid.

• Like 1

Love the new look of the fusion, but had to order something now and escape fits my needs , cargo room, trailer hitch, etc..

Comparing the two, kinda like apples and oranges, I think it much more an individual pref.

Easier to compare SUV vs. SUV, sedan vs sedan.

Of course haven't driven either, nor have any personal experience with the new Escape as of yet. But if it was off style and appearance only, I'd surely opt for the Fusion over the Escape. My view may change as the Fusion hits the road and I become more familiar with the Escape. But right now, I just do not find anything about the Escape attractive, except the front clip and interior (which has some area's I do dislike on the interior).

• Like 1

Finally saw some Escapes on the highways here in the greater Toronto area. From the rear, not impressive. From the side - reminds me of other models, and from the front, you might think its a Focus.

As my brother said - its really a jacked Focus.

Still glad I ordered my Edge...

PS - my brother, who works at OAC, think the next Edge might be more like the Range Rover Evoque... afterall, the Evoque already has the ecoboost engine.

Edited by Edgy Girl
  • Like 1

or this

(Image of Toyota Venza)

While the silhouette may resemble the Venza, we know that the execution of the product will be much better,

as proof of what I just said, you only have to look at new Escape versus RAV4

If the next Edge gains a little more usable cargo area, then that could be useful in promoting its greater utility.

While the silhouette may resemble the Venza, we know that the execution of the product will be much better,

as proof of what I just said, you only have to look at new Escape versus RAV4

If the next Edge gains a little more usable cargo area, then that could be useful in promoting its greater utility.

I used to be a huge fan of the Rav4 many moons ago, but had to google the 2013 Rav4 - wow, thats just plain ugly. No inspiration at all.

Edited by Edgy Girl

I used to be a huge fan of the Rav4 many moons ago, but had to google the 2013 Rav4 - wow, thats just plain ugly. No inspiration at all.

Precisely, RAV4 is drifting on past styling while the new Escape is a great mix of style, function and fun..

The design folks at Toyota are really behind the curve and relying on brand popularity. The Rav 4 has been unattractive, inside and out since '94 and the minor design tweaks over the years hasn't changed that. You have to think they really started to scramble when the new Escape design was unveiled. Every other manufacturer had modernized their design, except them.

Edited by transitman

A co-worker just purchased a 2011 Rav4 at the beginning of 2012. Older lady and she loves it. Problem is, it has a very cramped interior IMO, interior is cheap and the ride, good lord, it's rougher than my F150 with oversized AT tires running 40+ psi. Color me extremely unimpressed with the Rav4

Edited by V8-X