Length from Order to Arrival

VaporEdge

Well we ended up cancelling our original order because they were total a$$es about everything. They would not even give us a loaner until the new one came in. So much for having "friends" at a dealership. So I found a Tuxedo Black Titanium model at another dealership and we love it so far!!! I am so glad I joined these forums and read what everyone said about the SEL packages compared to the Titanium package. We got way more car for less cash in the long run.

In comparing the SEL to the Titanium for me I found the SEL to be a better deal. The Titanium was basically $440 more and all I gained were HID headlights and 19" tires that are $50 more a piece when I need to replace them. Oh and some chrome accents. Although I would have liked HID headlights for me it wasn't worth spending more money up front and down the road as I plan to keep this vehicle awhile.

In comparing the SEL to the Titanium for me I found the SEL to be a better deal. The Titanium was basically $440 more and all I gained were HID headlights and 19" tires that are $50 more a piece when I need to replace them. Oh and some chrome accents. Although I would have liked HID headlights for me it wasn't worth spending more money up front and down the road as I plan to keep this vehicle awhile.

Since I am 55 and night vision decreases with advancing age, the HIDs were the only reason we went with a Titanium. We have never had HIDs in the past, but I always marvel at the quality of the light when I ride in a car that has them. I too abhor the 19" wheels...expensive tires, rougher ride, easier to damage the tires, easier to curb a wheel. I'd trade for 18's even up if anyone in the Twin Cities wants to get together (I'd have to get that approved with "the boss" first though).

One of the reasons we went with the Titanium package - in addition to the HIDS, as previously mentioned - WAS the 19" wheels and tires. Having driven a SEL with 18s back to back with a titanium with 19s, the improvement in handling with the 19s was clearly palpable. Plus we think the vehicle looks much better with the 19s than the 18s... One other consideration was the finish on the 18s that apparently is a little finicky in how it has to be treated, according to the manual... We also liked the interior trim better on the Titanium. By the way, our previous two vehicles also had HIDs and once you have them, it is hard to go back...

Since I am 55 and night vision decreases with advancing age, the HIDs were the only reason we went with a Titanium. We have never had HIDs in the past, but I always marvel at the quality of the light when I ride in a car that has them. I too abhor the 19" wheels...expensive tires, rougher ride, easier to damage the tires, easier to curb a wheel. I'd trade for 18's even up if anyone in the Twin Cities wants to get together (I'd have to get that approved with "the boss" first though).

Edited by mogur

One of the reasons we went with the Titanium package - in addition to the HIDS, as previously mentioned - WAS the 19" wheels and tires. Having driven a SEL with 18s back to back with a titanium with 19s, the improvement in handling with the 19s was clearly palpable. Plus we think the vehicle looks much better with the 19s than the 18s... One other consideration was the finish on the 18s that apparently is a little finicky in how it has to be treated, according to the manual... We also liked the interior trim better on the Titanium. By the way, our previous two vehicles also had HIDs and once you have them, it is hard to go back...

Could you explain further about the special treatment needed for the 18's as I was not aware of this issue?

It was in one of the documents that I read and it indicated that the 18" wheels had a special coating that could be damaged by some cleaners and processes. The 17 and 19 inch wheels don't use this process. It's in one of the many documents that I have on the computer and I'll try and find it and post the text of it here later. I do remember that it pertained to one of the two or three 18" wheel options that are available on the Escape, but I can't remember which one off the top of my head...

Could you explain further about the special treatment needed for the 18's as I was not aware of this issue?

Edited by mogur

Looking in the brochure, it appears there are three different finishes for the 18 inch wheel (polished aluminum on the SE, and sparkle nickel-painted aluminum or chrome alloy finish aluminum on the SEL), and mogur is correct, the chrome alloy one can be damaged by certain wheel cleaning products. I don't have that Ford document saved on my laptop, it is on the other computer, but it spoke in a little detail about the plating process involved for this finish.

Looking in the brochure, it appears there are three different finishes for the 18 inch wheel (polished aluminum on the SE, and sparkle nickel-painted aluminum or chrome alloy finish aluminum on the SEL), and mogur is correct, the chrome alloy one can be damaged by certain wheel cleaning products. I don't have that Ford document saved on my laptop, it is on the other computer, but it spoke in a little detail about the plating process involved for this finish.

I'm pretty sure that warning applies to all wheels now. Even the polished ones are usually clear coated.

Also - there is most likely no mechanical linkage from the shifter to the transmission - it just sends an electronic signal to the PCM and the PCM tells the tranny when to shift. That's what keeps it from shifting when it's not safe.

From page 4 of the 22 page brochure titled "2013 Escape The Product Information Book".

Smart finish

The 18-inch wheels, optional on SE and SEL, use an

advanced ”plating” technology called Physical Vapor

Deposition (PVD) to produce the “chrome” finish.

PVD combines vacuum plating with powder coating

as a replacement for the traditional chrome plating

process. One benefit of PVD is reduced weight. While

traditional chrome is metal based, PVD is not.

PLEASE NOTE: Customers should NOT use

traditional chrome cleaners when cleaning wheels

with a PVD coating, as the chemicals and abrasives

will ruin the protective clearcoat and eventually

degrade the PVD layer. The wheels should be cleaned

with soap and water or a mild approved cleaner.(1)

Let's see if I can attach the PDF...2013 Escape Prod Info.pdf

From page 4 of the 22 page brochure titled "2013 Escape The Product Information Book".

Smart finish

The 18-inch wheels, optional on SE and SEL, use an

advanced ”plating” technology called Physical Vapor

Deposition (PVD) to produce the “chrome” finish.

PVD combines vacuum plating with powder coating

as a replacement for the traditional chrome plating

process. One benefit of PVD is reduced weight. While

traditional chrome is metal based, PVD is not.

PLEASE NOTE: Customers should NOT use

traditional chrome cleaners when cleaning wheels

with a PVD coating, as the chemicals and abrasives

will ruin the protective clearcoat and eventually

degrade the PVD layer. The wheels should be cleaned

with soap and water or a mild approved cleaner.(1)

That's what I said - the cleaning process is the same as other wheels. They're just telling you not to use chrome cleaner because they're not really chrome. But you shouldn't use chrome cleaner on any wheels.

With all the wheel cleaning products on the market, it is hard to tell what is considered "mild". Most say they are safe for ALL wheel finishes. I had never heard of this PVD process before, so I made the (apparently wrong) assumption that they were even more prone to damage from wheel cleaners than the common clearcoated wheels that have been around for decades.

I've got my VIN for a few days, but it is still not found on either of the recommended sites. One of them says "The VIN entered was not found in our system", the other pops up some crazy PDF exception.

So, how long does it take a VIN to get to the system? The build date is supposed to be Sep-10.

I've got my VIN for a few days, but it is still not found on either of the recommended sites. One of them says "The VIN entered was not found in our system", the other pops up some crazy PDF exception.

So, how long does it take a VIN to get to the system? The build date is supposed to be Sep-10.

My window sticker didn't show up for about two weeks after receiving my VIN#.

It took 2 weeks to get my VIN and the window sticker was available to view the next day.

Edited by sculchy