Just Ordered 2013 C-Max

First time on this forum and first time ordering a new car (after decades of frugality). Ordered today: blue candy C-Max SE w/ panoramic sunroof.

Dumb question for you veterans: should I expect to pay sticker for this thing...because it's a brand-spanken-new model? I believe it's pricing out to $27,600 incl. freight.

Was able to knock $1000 off plus whatever factory rebate is offered (if any?). I'll take anything I can get. Thanks for all of the responses...gave me confidence to negotiate a little!

Edited by luv4beer
  • Like 3

rubbish, I just see people jumping through hoops, and throwing accusations, when the process can be exceptionally simple...and you bring up the ONE thing I despise....the word GAME. Theres also no gap in knowledge, EVERYTHING is on the internet, two names were even mentioned, Edmunds and one other, but then again, they dont sell cars do they. If someone, and its happened, barrels there way into my office and starts playing games and demanding what i sell the car to them for, then leaves EXPECTING me to follow, they are sadly mistaken. If its a fair deal so be it, it was the wording I took offense to, and if you were in this business you would too, so dont treat your sale person or dealership as a second class citizen, thats how it came off, and trust me, theres no smuggness on my end, in 25 years Ive seen everything, and I mean everything, and I will continue to treat customers in the same way I would wish to be treated myself. PS, when exactly did you have your bad experience?....

Please forgive me Dean, you seem like a nice guy, but you do seem a bit burnt out on this profession in general. I don't know your age, but when I got burnt out, I realized it before I was told, and left the profession. I certainly see signs of burn out in your postings about customers and your negativity about the job. It's hard to do one job for a lifetime unless you have a very unusual lifetime passion for the job and display great patience if it happens to be dealing with complex people.

Please forgive me Dean, you seem like a nice guy, but you do seem a bit burnt out on this profession in general. I don't know your age, but when I got burnt out, I realized it before I was told, and left the profession. I certainly see signs of burn out in your postings about customers and your negativity about the job.

I don't see that at all. Everyone has something about his job that he doesn't like, and nobody likes to see his entire profession labeled as cheats and game-players. Dean has a valid point about the hypocrisy in some statements about how salesmen and dealerships play games in the car-buying process--some do, and I won't deal with most of the Ford dealerships in this region because of them--but those games get played on the buyer's side, as well.

I don't see that at all. Everyone has something about his job that he doesn't like, and nobody likes to see his entire profession labeled as cheats and game-players. Dean has a valid point about the hypocrisy in some statements about how salesmen and dealerships play games in the car-buying process--some do, and I won't deal with most of the Ford dealerships in this region because of them--but those games get played on the buyer's side, as well.

that said a vacation would be fantastic, unfortunately used it all up going to NZ for my grandmothers funeral. I wouldnt say Im burnt out, good or bad, I just get to the point REAL quick....lol, that and the job would be expodentially more enjoyable without game and role playing.... Edited by Deanh

Please forgive me Dean, you seem like a nice guy, but you do seem a bit burnt out on this profession in general. I don't know your age, but when I got burnt out, I realized it before I was told, and left the profession. I certainly see signs of burn out in your postings about customers and your negativity about the job. It's hard to do one job for a lifetime unless you have a very unusual lifetime passion for the job and display great patience if it happens to be dealing with complex people.

I do get rather blunt sometimes....but being PC takes longer to get the same results.....LOL Edited by Deanh

Love cars, love people, just wont tolerate rudeness or un-necessary BS...and im not afraid to point out inaccuracies.Truth be told, thats kind of a New Zealand / Aussie thing.....

Edited by Deanh
  • Like 1

Unless the X Plan rules have changed drastically, to use it, you have to tell the salesman/dealership up front that it will be an X Plan purchase. I don't see how you can comply with that requirement if you've already "ordered" your vehicle...

I'm not sure what you mean, but I preordered my 2012 Focus last year, and didn't tell them I had an X-plan until after the order had went through(but well before delivery).

I'm not sure what you mean, but I preordered my 2012 Focus last year, and didn't tell them I had an X-plan until after the order had went through(but well before delivery).

The rules clearly say that you must tell the salesperson immediately if you plan to use x plan. That said, most dealers won't care. The exception might be if you negotiate a retail sale with a higher than normal trade-in value, then try to switch it to Xplan but keep the same trade-in value. That won't work and isn't fair to the dealer.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

First time on this forum and first time ordering a new car (after decades of frugality). Ordered today: blue candy C-Max SE w/ panoramic sunroof.

Dumb question for you veterans: should I expect to pay sticker for this thing...because it's a brand-spanken-new model? I believe it's pricing out to $27,600 incl. freight.

I ordered my C-Max through a local So Cal dealer. I located them through the Costco auto program. Internet Fleet Manager said Costco pricing hadn't been released yet for the C-Max but that typical pricing is $300 over invoice. Before ordering we agreed to Invoice plus $300 + $52 fuel charge + $389 Ford advertising + $105 Dealer Prep fee +tax and license.

My understanding is ad fee and fuel charge are from Ford and aren't negotiable. The Dealer Prep fee is bogus but the whole process was so painless I didn't feel like arguing over it. He also said that if Costco pricing was released prior to vehicle delivery I get the lower of $300 over invoice or the lower Costco price.

Everything was put in writing and I was given a copy of the priced DORA. $500 deposit was also required.