Just Ordered 2013 C-Max

Here is the text from a previous post regarding my Escape purchase. You all tell me if I got a good deal.

I just realized with the $1000 rebate my column is down to $29544.12.

I got the invoice price I was willing to pay from the NADA and Edmund's web sites, which matched the Vehicle Order Confirmation the dealer had printed out before I arrived. The dealer invoice price on the VOC was the same as NADA and Edmund's dealer invoice. As far as the X-Plan, he didn't show me the X-Plan pricing for the new Escape, but showed me on his computer, examples from a 2013 Edge and 2012 Taurus and Escape and dealer invoice was lower on all three. He said the dealership would make more money if I used my X-Plan and I could use it if I wanted to. He also said, beginning in 2010, X-Plan was not the lowest price a buyer could negotiate.

If you add the fuel charge and ad assessment to the MSRP column on the VOC (assuming they would be the same) I saved $2176 under MSRP and I think this is a pretty good deal that I'm happy with. Maybe there's someone out there who can verify an X-Plan price vs. the price I got. I didn't ask, but I assume the ad assessment and fuel charge would be tacked on if someone was willing to pay MSRP, it just wasn't listed on the VOC.

My deal broke down like this:

Retail Column:

$30370.00 Titanium FWD

$995.00 Prkg. Tech Pkg

$825.00 Dest & Deliv

$32190.00 Total

Dealer Invoice Column:

$28321.00 Titanium FWD

$868.00 Prkg. Tech Pkg

$60.12 Fuel Charge

$470.00 Adv Assessment

$825.00 Dest & Deliv

$30544.12 Total

Glad you HONORED the dealership with your presence and gave them what YOU were WILLING to spend. We bow in your presence......sheesh!

Glad you HONORED the dealership with your presence and gave them what YOU were WILLING to spend. We bow in your presence......sheesh!

Did somebody strike a nerve? :) Seriously though, don't you do whatever possible to save money on a large purchase? I doubt you pay retail on every one of your purchases.

Isn't that how dealerships make money, by me going in, the two of us agreeing on a price and me accepting that price, because I'm the customer??? I guess I'm confused as to why this approach deserves a sheesh. Oh, I see you don't follow the saying, the customer is always right, you go with there's always another customer, right?

Here is the text from a previous post regarding my Escape purchase. You all tell me if I got a good deal.

I just realized with the $1000 rebate my column is down to $29544.12.

I got the invoice price I was willing to pay from the NADA and Edmund's web sites, which matched the Vehicle Order Confirmation the dealer had printed out before I arrived. The dealer invoice price on the VOC was the same as NADA and Edmund's dealer invoice. As far as the X-Plan, he didn't show me the X-Plan pricing for the new Escape, but showed me on his computer, examples from a 2013 Edge and 2012 Taurus and Escape and dealer invoice was lower on all three. He said the dealership would make more money if I used my X-Plan and I could use it if I wanted to. He also said, beginning in 2010, X-Plan was not the lowest price a buyer could negotiate.

If you add the fuel charge and ad assessment to the MSRP column on the VOC (assuming they would be the same) I saved $2176 under MSRP and I think this is a pretty good deal that I'm happy with. Maybe there's someone out there who can verify an X-Plan price vs. the price I got. I didn't ask, but I assume the ad assessment and fuel charge would be tacked on if someone was willing to pay MSRP, it just wasn't listed on the VOC.

My deal broke down like this:

Retail Column:

$30370.00 Titanium FWD

$995.00 Prkg. Tech Pkg

$825.00 Dest & Deliv

$32190.00 Total

Dealer Invoice Column:

$28321.00 Titanium FWD

$868.00 Prkg. Tech Pkg

$60.12 Fuel Charge

$470.00 Adv Assessment

$825.00 Dest & Deliv

$30544.12 Total

You don't add the fuel charge and Advertising fees to the MSRP - they're already built in. Same for the A/Z/D/X plan pricing. In this case X plan should be around $30,800 with dealer invoice at $30,544.

Did somebody strike a nerve? :) Seriously though, don't you do whatever possible to save money on a large purchase? I doubt you pay retail on every one of your purchases.

Whatever possible? Not quite. Whatever is practical yes. But there are limits if the savings come down to some measily amount. After all, convenience has some sort of intangible value.

Edited by NickF1011

No matter how how all new a vehicle is or how desirable, I would think it's realistic to expect at least a 4-6% discount off of sticker, even if you are first in community to own one and display it in your driveway. Dang, sales tax on new and used vehicles is probably the number one tax revenue source for states after property taxes. And with most people now with destroyed home values, maybe it's number one now. And that 4-6% discount to me at least doesn't include any incentives or rebates.

The cat has long been out of the bag. Every consumer in America expects great discounts, rebates, incentives on durable goods especially. This year I needed a new stove, and went to Best Buy after seeing model I wanted at Lowe's for $650. They didn't have one on floor, but looked online into their wharehouse, and Best Buy said they would sell it to me for $499. I prefer Lowe's and have had good luck especially with prompt delivery, so I went back to Lowe's with that price, and they offered me their $650 model for $475. I expected a great price and got it. It's amazing what these big corporate giants will do in order to get a sale. By me I have a Chevy and Ford dealer facing off against one another everyday as they are right next to each other as street is only barrier. I would be quite tempted to use prices against one another to get best deal possible whether it be Cruze vs. Focus or Malibu vs. Fusion. All is fair in love and war.

Isn't that how dealerships make money, by me going in, the two of us agreeing on a price and me accepting that price, because I'm the customer??? I guess I'm confused as to why this approach deserves a sheesh. Oh, I see you don't follow the saying, the customer is always right, you go with there's always another customer, right?

its the sense of entitlement you are portraying thats struck a nerve....and NO, under NO circumstances is the customer always right....amd YES there IS always another customer, thats reality not a beleif. And apologies, Im not one to sugar coat or supply a foot massage when stating facts. Edited by Deanh

Whatever possible? Not quite. Whatever is practical yes. But there are limits if the savings come down to some measily amount. After all, convenience has some sort of intangible value.

in a nutshell, I have seen people research and research and reserach and sell someone short for $5 a month, and thats what gets my goat up, the lack of appreciation for someones time, I wouldnt do it to anyone, and dont tolerate someone doing it to me. And then theres a rush to get everything done only to expect a 3 hour demonstartion of feature, along with the 3 trips back for refreshers, on the flip side I chuckle when someone is nickeling and diming only to miss out on an incentive such as $1000 trade in allowance......

No matter how how all new a vehicle is or how desirable, I would think it's realistic to expect at least a 4-6% discount off of sticker, even if you are first in community to own one and display it in your driveway. Dang, sales tax on new and used vehicles is probably the number one tax revenue source for states after property taxes. And with most people now with destroyed home values, maybe it's number one now. And that 4-6% discount to me at least doesn't include any incentives or rebates.

three words...supply and demand.

question, how long did it take you to get to that point....? I value my time....and I would rather a dealer make a small profit on me than spend hours and days researching and investigating, i have better things to do. Perhaps thats because Im in the business.....

Of course, but I also beleive in compromise rather than stating what Im WILLING to pay.....buying a car is NOT doing a dealership a special favor.... ( PS, I just dealt with a customer like this, entitlement and all, what was worse is he was an attourney....not my favorite people ) Edited by Deanh

its the sense of entitlement you are portraying thats struck a nerve....and NO, under NO circumstances is the customer always right....amd YES there IS always another customer, thats reality not a beleif. And apologies, Im not one to sugar coat or supply a foot massage when stating facts.

Somebody has to drive a VW. The faster you can hustle the cheapskates out the door, the better your day will be. You're not giving it away, so getting them hustled out the door allows them to go and waste somebody else's time, and allows you to do something creative instead of dealing with the delusional. :)

You don't add the fuel charge and Advertising fees to the MSRP - they're already built in. Same for the A/Z/D/X plan pricing. In this case X plan should be around $30,800 with dealer invoice at $30,544.

I just quickly priced out the Escape X-plan with a Minn zip and it comes to $30,704, with an A-plan price of $29,415.

Also what about the American Quarter Horse and NAPO Rebates? They are each $500 off and it only costs $40 and $50 respectively to going the groups for a year, seems like it would be a good idea just to join if you knew you were getting a car.

Somebody has to drive a VW. The faster you can hustle the cheapskates out the door, the better your day will be. You're not giving it away, so getting them hustled out the door allows them to go and waste somebody else's time, and allows you to do something creative instead of dealing with the delusional. :)

perhaps my skin has gotten thick over the years, but under NO circumstances, unless a multitude of units or special circumstances, would I sell a vehicle at or below invoice, the question is " Why exactly would I want to?....." Some of the answers are interesting, words get mentioned such as allocation, end of month bonus, your numbers...LMAO....I dont need the favors, dont get bonus's, and dont need ata boys. I wont let the customer go, but at that point will introduce them to someone willing to spend the time and work them through the longer drawn out retail avenues AND spend hours demoing the car for $50 or so dollars, that to me isnt good time management . OR, they can step up a couple or so hundred ( and go figure how much different that will make the payments ) and spend approx 1/4 of the time, sign paperwork and get out of here. All depends on how much someone values their time I guess, and its the same way I buy my larger goods...

I just quickly priced out the Escape X-plan with a Minn zip and it comes to $30,704, with an A-plan price of $29,415.

Also what about the American Quarter Horse and NAPO Rebates? They are each $500 off and it only costs $40 and $50 respectively to going the groups for a year, seems like it would be a good idea just to join if you knew you were getting a car.

check that American quarterhorse is compatible with a x or Zplan. It may not be. Also, i struck something interesting the other day with an Aplan deal, the trade in assistance was different ( read lower ) than with a regular retail customer....nothing is a given anymore...

Don't be a "bunny".

Don't buy a "Whopper With Cheese"

Do the homework and find out if there are "dealer incentives" and split the money with the dealership.

The more information you bring with you (color, options, rebates and your price), the less time it takes for a sale.

The three dealerships that I have used have never charged me above invoice + rebates to include dealership incentives and military rebate.

My past 5 cars/trucks I have ordered.... Total time at dealership is less than 30 min... and no money down... just walk in, give my salesman or owner the printout of what i want.. talk about local events and leave...

That is the advantage of a small dealership where the owner and salespeople not only knows your name, but really knows you...

Don't be a "bunny".

Do the homework and find out if there are "dealer incentives" and split the money with the dealership.

The more information you bring with you (color, options, rebates and your price), the less time it takes for a sale.

The three dealerships that I have used have never charged me above invoice + rebates to include dealership incentives and military rebate.

My past 5 cars/trucks I have ordered.... Total time at dealership is less than 30 min... and no money down... just walk in, give my salesman or owner the printout of what i want.. talk about local events and leave...

That is the advantage of a small dealership where the owner and salespeople not only knows your name, but really knows you...

or even simpler, ask the dealer where they are in relation to invoice on desired vehicle, agree on a fair figure over and have both parties happy....COMPROMISE is such an easy thing....seriously if you let the dealer make say $200 is the difference in payments really gonna kill you????? Then again, dont try that on GT500's , ST Focii, Boss's or Raptors...and dare I say it, the upcoming fusion....especially with initial limited allocations...

It's a 2 way street. Dealers who try to gouge you are just as bad as customers who think they're entitled to buy something below cost or way below market value especially if they waste the salesperson's time in the process.

There is less profit in a $40K vehicle than there is in a $4K flat screen TV.

• Like 1

Don't be a "bunny".

but Mettech, arent you the same guy that claimed that Privately owned dealerships are so 19th century?......bwahahahahahaha

It's a 2 way street. Dealers who try to gouge you are just as bad as customers who think they're entitled to buy something below cost or way below market value especially if they waste the salesperson's time in the process.

There is less profit in a $40K vehicle than there is in a $4K flat screen TV.

absolutely, put them in a room together with boxing gloves and let em go at each other....

Before I got access to X plan I would just call the sales manager and ask how much above invoice they wanted for whatever I was looking for. 8 times out of 10 I got an immediate straight answer. When new explorers were hot back in 93 I called about a 2WD XLT 4 door and the immediate answer was $800 over invoice. I asked if he could do $500 and he said sure - if you want a 4WD or an Eddie Bauer or a 2 door, but 4 door XLTs were hot. The entire conversation took 60 seconds. I found one willing to take $500 over invoice which was a good deal at the time. Turns out they were trading for it from the dealer I originally called. Then that dealer sold it out from under the other dealer who had to find another one. I'll never forget the salesman's name on that one - Rocky Beretta.

I would not expect to pay less than invoice (minus all factory rebates or dealer incentives) unless it's a vehicle that's been sitting for a long time and the dealer needs to get rid of. That leaves the dealer with 3% holdback and that's not much after the salesman gets their commission.