CR Still Hates MyFord/MyLincoln Touch: "Fundamentally Flawed"

Haters Gonna Hate!

Following complaints of slow response times and even system crashes, Fordserved up an update for its MyTouch systems earlier this year, but CR contends that the upgrade has not address the real issue with the systems: “It’s the fundamental design of the system that’s flawed,” CR wrote on its Web site.
Edited by BORG

While I agree that MFT is flawed and still has a long way to go to get to where it should be. I wouldn't agree with CR's assessment that they "Not Recommend" a particular vehicle simply because it has it MFT. Simply purchase that model without the MFT option, if possible.

CR is really going off the range on this one. Saying something is 'fundamentally flawed' without bothering to specify *why* a design is fundamentally flawed is, well.............. fundamentally flawed.

They seem to keep hitting on it as not being "intuitive" enough. Very sketchy analysis if you ask me. But they seem to get away with their biases year after year. IMO, CR will never recommend MFT no matter what Ford does in updates. My feeling has always been that Ford needs to make MFT optional on even the more expensive trim levels as many don't want to mess around every other month with new updates to system. Those who love messsing around with high tech items can get it if they want it and those who don't and want higher trim level models don't have to mess with it. Or just make MFT standard on Titanium only and optional on rest of models offered.

CR has to hate MFT no matter how "perfect" it becomes (totally subjective). They have all of their eggs in the distracted drivers basket, so if they recommend a Ford that has it, they are hypocrites.

This means that very soon, no Ford will be recommended by CR, as all will have MFT available.

• Like 2

My 42 yr old son just got a new Explorer with it. He works for Microsoft and is pretty savvy but not the most techy person I know. He stated it takes a little while to get used to it but would not consider buying without it. Just like a new smart phone or smart TV takes time but if you want to keep up you need to do it. My wife and I bought new smart phones last year because we did not want to get any older without knowing how to use one.

Keep up or get left behind. My wife's mother will not use a cell phone. Life is changing.

• Like 1

CR has to hate MFT no matter how "perfect" it becomes (totally subjective). They have all of their eggs in the distracted drivers basket, so if they recommend a Ford that has it, they are hypocrites.

Yup. They are, in effect, shoveling sh*t against the tide; at some point, telematics will become ubiquitous (as noted above, as they get used to systems link Sync and MFT, more drivers are demanding them), so CR will have no choice but to start rating them honestly or to down-rate every car on the market.

Or maybe that "rating them honestly" thing is just wishful thinking...

I just keep hoping the internet puts CR out of business, I don't value their input at all because their ideals clash with mine. They are the innovator's enemy and one of the reasons we mostly drive appliances today.

Ford seems to better understand what consumers want vs what makes Consumer Reports happy.

This means that very soon, no Ford will be recommended by CR, as all will have MFT available.

The key point to bear in mind is that new Fords will merely have MFT available, as you stated. Thankfully, not required. And as long as Ford products perform well in CR's road tests, have at least decent reliability, and do well in crash tests, CR will recommend them.

Since MY 2011, Ford has expanded the availability of Sync without MyFordTouch throughout its U.S. lineup- perhaps acknowledging the flawed design of MFT. Excluding Lincoln brand products, all MY 2013 Fords can be specified with such a configuration. For example, CR tested a fairly uplevel Edge SEL Ecoboost (the as tested price was north of $36k, so I'm assuming it's not bereft of amenities) recently that lacked MyFordTouch. It garnered a road test score high enough to be recommended. It didn't earn that status only because CR doesn't yet have sufficient reliability data on the Ecoboost powertrain.

• Like 1

I need some help with this one. My 2009 Explorer has the SYNC, so I'm not all that familiar with MFT...yet. I rely a little on Consumers Reports as gauge for alot of what I buy, but I don't rely solely on it. What I have a problem with their reporting and position of a MFT flawed system, can anyone please address how MFT integrates into the overall operations of the vehicle? From what I gather, it's more or less for the entertainment portion of the vehicle...correct? If so, what the heck does it have to do with the drive-train, interior and/or exterior of the vehicle? I could see if MFT was tied into the drive-train and it caused interoperability problems, but come on....MFT seems to be just the radio and other electronic do-dads. To me, a properly working MFT is a plus but not a show stopper. Obviously Ford needs to correct any malfunctions with MFT...as soon as possible and it appears they're trying to do just that.

ChuckZ

Harvest, AL

I need some help with this one. My 2009 Explorer has the SYNC, so I'm not all that familiar with MFT...yet. I rely a little on Consumers Reports as gauge for alot of what I buy, but I don't rely solely on it. What I have a problem with their reporting and position of a MFT flawed system, can anyone please address how MFT integrates into the overall operations of the vehicle? From what I gather, it's more or less for the entertainment portion of the vehicle...correct? If so, what the heck does it have to do with the drive-train, interior and/or exterior of the vehicle? I could see if MFT was tied into the drive-train and it caused interoperability problems, but come on....MFT seems to be just the radio and other electronic do-dads. To me, a properly working MFT is a plus but not a show stopper. Obviously Ford needs to correct any malfunctions with MFT...as soon as possible and it appears they're trying to do just that.

ChuckZ

Harvest, AL

It controls infotainment, phone/bluetooth devices, navigation and climate control. Many of these have redundant controls on the steering wheel and all but one I believe have voice commands.

The only problem with MFT is that sometimes it crashes or hangs up or just doesn't work right but with the latest software those are fairly rare occurences.

Ford has expanded the availability of Sync without MyFordTouch

Sync came before MFT, is cheaper than MFT and is easier to implement than MFT, it can be installed in vehicles without changing the binnacle & the center stack. Ford can install Sync in, basically, every car in its range. It cannot do the same with MFT.

But, of course, it's because Ford thinks that MFT is a failure that they aren't tearing up the cabins of every one of their vehicles......

Sync came before MFT, is cheaper than MFT and is easier to implement than MFT, it can be installed in vehicles without changing the binnacle & the center stack. Ford can install Sync in, basically, every car in its range. It cannot do the same with MFT.

But, of course, it's because Ford thinks that MFT is a failure that they aren't tearing up the cabins of every one of their vehicles......

I think more to the point is that Ford has made MyFord (sans touch) with sync available on every car.

This is where the stupidity of CR comes into play. They purchase the cars/trucks they review. They review a Ford with MFT, it sucks, and is not recommended. They test a Ford without MFT, and the "only" reason it isn't recommended yet, is due to a brand new untested engine. They test a Ford without MFT and with a carryover drivetrain, and it gets a recommendation.

Thus, they could test a model of Ford today, with MFT and carryover drivetrains, and it sucks and is not recommended. They test same vehicle at another point, without MFT, and it is great and deserves a recommendation.

See their latest tests of the '13 Taurus. It is not recommended, and received a poor score due to MFT.

At some point, even the sheep have to look at this garbage, and see how stupid it is. An infotainment system is the difference between great and sucks. Really??

It will be fun to see how they rate the new Fusion. They love the current car, so it will be interesting to see how they tiptoe around that one.

The critics will probably love the Fusion, and CR will be forced to either put it on their shit list or come up with a reasonable explanation.

We also have to admit that Ford's quality rankings is hitting an all-time low (relative to the market), and most are blaming MFT for sinking the company. CR isn't without some ground to stand on sadly.

• Like 1

Ford's quality rankings.

Of course MFT is responsible for Ford's drop in quality rankings. So were the initial Fiesta and Focus tranny issues. The tranny problems are fixed now and most of the MFT issues are fixed.

Neither one is a huge problem for Ford as far as sales go.

The problems with the MFT are wide spread and commonly reported. I just have a hard time believing that Ford didn't know this system had serious issues before they started installing it in cars and selling it to the public. We are the the third model year now of MFT in various Ford products and there are still serious issues with the system. What did they expect would happen?

Edited by BlackHorse
  • Like 1