Squeaky Brakes

Escapism

• 3 weeks later...

Try driving in reverse and braking hard. Squeaks are usually the result of contaminants in the pad material. Sometimes a hard stop in the opposite direction of most travel will dislodge whatever is causing it.

That's what the maintenance dept. does to stop squeeking brakes on our transit buses. The problem is caused by the brakes always being applied going forward and rarely in reverse. The brake dust accumulates, causing the squeek.

Thanks all for the tips. I will be trying that out tonight. I'm going to slam on those brakes in reverse like a pit bull on a poodle cause the noise is driving me crazy. Only happens once the brakes are heated up, not when they are cold like first thing in the morning. Once they are warm, its pretty much every time like from the 30mph to stop range. I will give this one more try along with "bedding" my brakes again if the reverse thing doesn't work. Dealer already said "sure, bring it in and we'll take a look".

• 2 weeks later...

Well, as many of you know my Escape is in the shop for rear liftgate alignment. thought I would call my service advisor to check in since I didn't hear from him yesterday. Asked him about my concern over the brake noise. He said they confirmed the problem and called Ford. He said that Ford said this is a KNOWN issue and that they are looking into it. I know these brake systems were just invented last year so this is understandable. :banghead::sos:

Being old, I remember years ago a lot of complaints of noisy brakes especially at low speeds. At the time it was attributed to harder brake pad materials in the semi-metallic friction material that replaced the old asbestos containing product. In essence, "live with it" was the answer then. Something is up if Ford does issue a TSB on it. I have not heard anything from ours, but I am hard of hearing and we only have 600+ miles on it 2 months and 2 days after picking it up (the wife is still driving her old car).

"Issy"...my fingers are crossed for your liftgate.

Edited by pillboy

I thought I'd weigh in on this topic since I have heard the "squeak" as well. Yes, it does manifest itself when the breaks are warmed up - usually when I'm on the way home. I drive trying to anticipate stops for traffic lights so normally I'm applying the brakes with little force. When I get my Escape back from the shop (that's another story I need top post in a new thread) I plan to take it out on some back roads and work the brakes harder both forward and backwards as mentioned. The "squeak" I've heard sounds a little more pronounced from time to time and it's almost not audible other times. Also, IMO, the "squeak" resembles a new brake sound as a result of not enough anti-squeak compound being applied to the back of the brake pad. It is entirely possible that heating up whatever is there will produce the desired result. I got distracted by all of the MyTouch SYNC stuff to properly bed the brakes like some enthusiasts recommend doing. The Escape Owners Manual makes no mention of gentle or spirited braking during the first few miles. Anyway, here is something similar to what I've seen written on the internet about bedding new brakes to new rotors:

Make 6 to 10 stops from approximately 35 mph with moderate pressure. Make an additional two to three hard stops from approximately 40 to 45 mph but do not engage the anti-lock feature. Important, do not allow the vehicle to come to a complete stop while doing this. Continue driving the vehicle for another 10 - 20 minutes at moderate speeds to let the brakes cool down before parking the vehicle. Honestly, for normal street pads, most recommend to just drive cautiously for 300-500 miles while trying to avoid heavy braking.

I'll post back what I experience in a few days.

Edited by ticobird

• 1 month later...

2013 Escape Titanium purchased Sept 30 now has 5100 miles on it and I have experienced the brake squeel. It sounds like one of those brake indicators that let you know it is time to change the pads. Very annoying. It did it once at about 1500 miles one morning when I was in a hurry, driving fast then braking a little hard. After doing that a few times it started squeeling. After it sat all day, it didn't do it on my way home. It was then intermitant until this past week when I did a lot of city driving. Everytime it got warmed up, when applying light brake pressure, when speed went down to 20 mph it started squeeling until it got below 10 mph. I didn't hear it today. Weather was rainy / snowy and plenty of moisture in the air. Took it to the dealer. They are going to check it out tomorrow. I'll post the results.

Thank you. Mine still squeal, have since day 1. Have about 4500 miles on her. Really annoying. Ford engineers say nothing is wrong with them, but Ford gave me a really nice ESP for my troubles (brakes and rear hatch alignment).

Edited by Escapism

They gave you an extended warranty? So if we complain the breaks squeak that works? :)

You mean brakes, not breaks.

And as far as complaining and getting a 5yr/75,000 ESP, you have to ask yourself a few questions. Do your brakes squeal on a constant basis when warmed up, even after the dealer looked at them and called the Ford engineers? Did the dealer work on your rear hatch alignment a couple of times, still not to your satisfaction? Did you send in photos of the misalignment to Ford? Did you also send in a video/audio of your squealing brakes to Ford? Have you exchanged numerous emails and phone conversations with your case manager about your new vehicle issues? If so, then you might get something for your troubles. All I can say is Ford and the Customer Care folks do care about your satisfaction with their product. Wish I could say the same about the dealership. But in their defense they have to deal with US face to face. Ha-ha. But what the dealerships need to remind themselves of is that they are the face of Ford. They are the foks that most of us deal with during the lifetime of the vehicle.

Edited by Escapism