City Mpg?

blockisle9

2I have the Titanium 2.0 FWD. I live in the hills in the San Francisco Bay area. Probably 1/4-1/3 of my miles are in the hills (both up and down). I mostly do short trips. Mileage has sucked since I got it--about 15 to 16 mpg. The dealer and Ford says that the first 2000 miles the car is adjusting and that everything resets after that and mileage should go up. Do I believe them? Not really but am at 1100 miles right now. Will see what happens in another 900 or so.

Eeek! How fast do you normally drive? Is there a lot of stop and go traffic?

• 4 weeks later...

So I just hit 1k miles on my 2.0 AWD and the gas mileage is pathetic still. I'm averaging about 21-23 (this is combined) I filled up my tank Sat afternoon and by the time I got to work today I was at half a tank.

I would be thrilled with that mileage!

2000 miles on my 2.0 awd. Still 14-15 city, 25 hiway

So I just hit 1k miles on my 2.0 AWD and the gas mileage is pathetic still. I'm averaging about 21-23 (this is combined) I filled up my tank Sat afternoon and by the time I got to work today I was at half a tank.

That's pretty close to the EPA estimate of 21/28/24.

Instantaneous MPG is virtually worthless. It is mildly entertaining at highway speeds with the cruise set and you can watch how grade changes affect your MPG. In town the numbers swing so wildly depending if you are on the throttle or coasting, that it is pointless information, to say nothing about it being another distraction when you should be looking out of the windshield. If you go long periods without resetting your trip odometer, getting the average to change is hard to do. MPG seems to be something a lot people focus on the older they get, along with gas prices (I'm thinking of my dad and older brother). I fill it up when it needs gas...what am I gonna do, walk? I know there are cars (mostly little $h!t boxes) that are gonna get better fuel economy than what I drive, but why do I want to be reminded of it all the time by staring at the average MPG display?

Hey Pillboy. Just curious, what information do you typically have displayed if not average mpg?

I would be thrilled with that mileage!

2000 miles on my 2.0 awd. Still 14-15 city, 25 hiway

Ditto on that! My last 100 city miles was 14.8. First 907 miles of combined is 18.7.

2.0 4WD, fairly tame for 80% of the city driving, but nobody beats me off the line :peelout:

On the 4-lane's, I average 75-80.

I'm going to run about 400 miles this coming weekend up to Vt and back - we'll see...

• 3 weeks later...

2013 SE 2.0 L AWD with tow pkg.. 21 MPG all city most trips less than 10 miles. A lot of stop and go. Not unhappy with that all. 29 MPG at 60 to 65 MPG highway. I miss the instant MPG that my Caddy CTS had. On that car I could get 26 to 27 MPG at 64 MPH . Go 69 MPH and that would drop to 24 MPG. At 75 MPH that dropped to 20 MPG. Every car has a threshold controlled by aerodynamics and engine when there is a cliff in MPG. The caddy was 18 to 19 around town. 3.5 l V6 265 HP. The instant MPH can really help you understand what happens with speed, load and temp. The average doesn't help as much here unless you only drive in one style.