City Mpg?

blockisle9

Very disappointed with my mpg. The last two checks were 13.5 and 14. (Computer and manual method) This is annoying with the fuel tank being small.

It's got to be me, 1998 V-6 Explorer 12-13 mpg, 2002 V-6 Explorer12-13 mpg, 2005 V-6 Escape 13-14 mpg, 2008 V-6 Edge 12-13 mpg and now the 2013 4 cylinder turbo 13-14??

Highway mileages have been much better, (haven't checked this one yet).

My City driving is stop and go, hop on the highway for a mile or so and off it. Slightly hilly, trips are normally less than 5 miles.

Granted the car only has 500 miles on it, but I don't for see much of an increase after what little break in theses newer engines need.

So far, still love the car!

Lenny

It sounds like the type of city driving you do is the main reason for the low mpg's. I learned that a very light foot from a stop really helps. I drive 50/50 and I'm averaging 26 to 28 mpg. It seems your driving is 100% city, even with the short freeway trips, that isn't enough distance to increase your average. Also, with short 5 mile trips, the engine is barely warm by the time you reach your destination. If you aren't already practicing these techniques, try a light foot from stops, anticipate stops so you can coast to a stop and unless you have to, don't gun it on entrance ramps, even as much fun as it is. By using some hyper-miler techniques, you may tick off the people behind you, but you'll get better mileage.

EDIT: I have a FWD and digijay is most likely right about the 4WD versions and lower mpg's. That's the reason I chose a FWD over 4WD. Living in the city, I rarely have to worry about needing 4WD, even in the winter.

Edited by transitman

I have found the City mpg horrible as well and I am driving it like a granny. I would like to see a locker switch for the 4wd in future versions as I think this is a big part of the problem. If we could lock it on 2wd, 4wd or auto 4wd, instead of all time 4wd then I could foresee far better economy. If you watch your 4wd information screen on the Titanium, it shows that every time you accelerate from a stop, no matter how slow you go, it's powering all 4 wheels until you get some good momentum, then it switches to 2wd.

Now that I'm approaching 3000kms, I am starting to see better efficiency, but still no where near the numbers advertised.

I have similar driving habits and those were my numbers as well. I do short runs of 6 miles with stop and go. When I first got the Escape I thought it was break in and it would work itself out. I got to be pretty good with my Tundra over the years and could eek out about 19 in the city. Highway was always around 22. To date the best I have done with the Escape is 18.6. To accomplish that I get to 3rd gear and back the rpm's down as low as I can go without down shifting and managing the speed limit of 25 to 28 range. I have taken 2 longer highway trips but both of them ended up with stop and go for more than half of the trip with a 21.86 mpg average.

As of now I have 1043 Miles on the Escape and I do love it.

Dealer told me that Ford won't let them do any warranty work for mileage issues until after 2500 miles. So, I am tracking miles/gallons used and in the meantime I am driving just slow enough not to piss off the people behind me.

I also tried my trusted instant mpg obdii reader to get instant mileage while I was driving but it doesn't work without a MAF sensor......

Good luck

Not on all 4 of the previous vehicles that got the same mileage. It's the driver and/or the route.

Mostly I was referring to the fact he was getting crappy mileage with the Escape, and why. A lot of accelerating with stop and go traffic with a turbo equates poor gas mileage...kind of the same thing as with a larger displacement engine. A small turbo four does not exactly equal frugal use of fuel.

Does anyone know with certainty if the 1.6 Ecoboost does DFCO? If so, at what RPM? I have coasted down long hills in lower gear (and higher RPM) expecting the MPG to budge a little downward and it doesn't, so I have my doubts about DFCO.

name='frbl' timestamp='1349260873' post='801163']

Does anyone know with certainty if the 1.6 Ecoboost does DFCO? If so, at what RPM? I have coasted down long hills in lower gear (and higher RPM) expecting the MPG to budge a little downward and it doesn't, so I have my doubts about DFCO.[/u]

I'm not sure. But I do know with my 2.0 when I coast down hills and let off the gas I can really make back some of those lost MPG. I thought most injected cars are like DFCO??

Edited by Escapism

Does anyone know with certainty if the 1.6 Ecoboost does DFCO? If so, at what RPM? I have coasted down long hills in lower gear (and higher RPM) expecting the MPG to budge a little downward and it doesn't, so I have my doubts about DFCO.

If your rpm's are staying high, the engine will need fuel to continue running. Watch you avg. mpg when you exit the freeway and are coasting to the end of the ramp, that's when my mpg's usually climb.

Deceleration Fuel Cut Off...had to Google that. I read a lot of car mags and have never seen that acronym before.

I doubt you would see average MPG change when coasting, but it should readily be apparent when viewing instantaneous MPG.

And if you are coasting downhill in a lower gear, that tells me you have placed the trans in a lower gear manually and I believe when an electronically controlled trans is asked for a lower gear than it wants to be in, it will not freewheel as the assumption is that you want/need engine braking (hence the revs climb rather than drop when coasting). Unless I am not understanding what frbl is describing.

Do you have an Instant MPG option??? I don't have that, and I thought it was odd.

You should have it if you have the Titanium.Its in the center cluster display of your dsahboard. Go to trip 1 or 2. Then move to the right. Then you have to move up or down. You'll find it in there somewhere.

I haven't actually seen nor used it on the Escape. I just assumed that function existed since it has the average MPG capability. My 2005 Subaru has instantaneous MPG, so I again assumed that something 8 model years newer and 8 large more expensive would have it.

You should have it if you have the Titanium.Its in the center cluster display of your dsahboard. Go to trip 1 or 2. Then move to the right. Then you have to move up or down. You'll find it in there somewhere.

It is definitely located here on my SEL as well.

Edited by sculchy

Ha Ha Ha Ha. In my 2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid AWD I get 30 mpg in suburban driving and 32-34 mpg on interstates. The Ford managers, in their "infinite" wisdom, ended Mercury and canceled both the Mariner Hybrid and the Escape Hybrid. Fools!

The CMax should make the Escape hybrid a distant memory.