2013 Titanium horrible MPG so far.

marjen

I did quite the trip today, mostly highway. Close to a couple hundred miles or so. Going by the car, I was got an average of 27.7mpg. I'm happy with that. Car just hit around 620 miles, so it's still pretty fresh. Average temp 30 degrees, wet roads.

Edited by -Strike-

Good to hear that some people are getting mid-to-upper 20's. I would have probably considered a bunch of other vehicles if I expected to get 20ish MPGs.

I have a coworker that swears that going on an 800-mile round trip ride (over 2 days) is the best thing to do when you get a brand new car. I guess it would help to break in the engine in a shorter amount of time, but I don't know. Does anyone else run out and put close to 1,000 miles on a brand new vehicle ASAP?

Break in happens in the first few minutes of an engines life. Everything after that the rings are just seating a littlemore and the engines loosens up a bit.

The best thing you can do for a new engine is stop and go and heavy engine breaking down hills. The worst you can do is a long trip with it at one rpm for extended periods.

Edited by Tiblue2013

Break in happens in the first few minutes of an engines life. Everything after that the rings are just seating a littlemore and the engines loosens up a bit.

The best thing you can do for a new engine is stop and go and heavy engine breaking down hills. The worst you can do is a long trip with it at one rpm for extended periods.

Well mine had 30 miles on it and had a message saying it was randomly selected for road testing...so I guess they did the breaking in.

I need to drive it on a long trip this coming weekend (750 miles) and I currently only have 600 miles. I'm concerned about keeping it on the highway for a long time like you mentioned since I'm under 1000 miles...

Good to hear that some people are getting mid-to-upper 20's. I would have probably considered a bunch of other vehicles if I expected to get 20ish MPGs.

I have a coworker that swears that going on an 800-mile round trip ride (over 2 days) is the best thing to do when you get a brand new car. I guess it would help to break in the engine in a shorter amount of time, but I don't know. Does anyone else run out and put close to 1,000 miles on a brand new vehicle ASAP?

Does not matter when you put on the first 1000 or so miles. What matters is how you put on those miles.

Don't use cruise control & vary your RPM as much as possible.

My first week, and mine's averaging 20 mpg in mixed driving. Hopefully this will improve.

I'm at 600 miles and so far that continues to be my average as well (mixed driving). After the holidays if I'm still getting this I'm going to have the dealer check it out. I believe someone on here mentioned it may be running rich or something to that effect.

I'm using cruise control, but what I'm doing is manually shifting between 5th and 6th gear to get the rpms up and down. Seems easier than speeding up and slowing down a bunch on the highway. :)

Lucky you - I get to vary my rpm all the time..............called rush hour in the DC area :lol:

• Like 1

I'm also experiencing very disappointing mileage so far. I've got 900 miles on the clock, and in mixed driving I am getting 18-20 MPG. Same driving I was getting around 17 in a Honda Ridgeline, and in a BMW 328i I had 23. Considering Ford's mileage claims I expected much better. If it doesn't improve soon when I take it in for the headlight recall I am going to request they look at why the mileage is so poor.

• Like 2

I have to drive in the metro-DC traffic way too much. I'd rather drive in Manhattan. I did use the new EZ-Pass lane on 495 the other day.

And that is such a sad comment on my area's traffic :D

I'm also experiencing very disappointing mileage so far. I've got 900 miles on the clock, and in mixed driving I am getting 18-20 MPG. Same driving I was getting around 17 in a Honda Ridgeline, and in a BMW 328i I had 23. Considering Ford's mileage claims I expected much better. If it doesn't improve soon when I take it in for the headlight recall I am going to request they look at why the mileage is so poor.

Is that pure city? As I've been getting an indicated 25.x in "mixed" (commute is 0-60 for a 1/2 mile, back down to 0, back to 60........) Now granted it's low miles (500) and I only go by "pen & paper" not the indicated but it seems you should see closer to the 20 mark in pure city.

Is that pure city? As I've been getting an indicated 25.x in "mixed" (commute is 0-60 for a 1/2 mile, back down to 0, back to 60........) Now granted it's low miles (500) and I only go by "pen & paper" not the indicated but it seems you should see closer to the 20 mark in pure city.

No, definitely mixed, probably 60/40 suburbs/expressway. Very little pure city.

No, definitely mixed, probably 60/40 suburbs/expressway. Very little pure city.

That is about exactly my driving conditions and I continue to average 19-19.5. I am about 1400 miles in. Artful as far as I am concerned. I could get this in an SUV for crying out loud. Took it in for headlight recall, and dealer told me this is acceptable according to ford. Not happy at the moment.

The 2.0L Ecoboost is in several other models, anyone know if those owners have complained about gas mileage? I'm at a little over 400 miles and am still averaging about 22.5 - 23mpg with about 50/50 city/highway. Not as good as I would have hoped, but not nearly as bad as some. I have been romping on it a decent amount too.

Should Premium vs. Regular fuel make a difference? Still on the first tank from the dealer, but think they put Regular in.

My .02 is yes.......but only for one reason & that's the compression. As you'll notice Ford rates it @ 240hp PUG and 231 RUG - difference is likely the knock sensors take over & retard the timing = less power & likely less fuel efficiency. The 2.0 has a moderate (these days) 9.3:1 compression but it could make a small difference.

Worth coughing up the $$$ for premium? Doubtful - you'd likely spend more on gas than you saved in mpg.

My .02 is yes.......but only for one reason & that's the compression. As you'll notice Ford rates it @ 240hp PUG and 231 RUG - difference is likely the knock sensors take over & retard the timing = less power & likely less fuel efficiency. The 2.0 has a moderate (these days) 9.3:1 compression but it could make a small difference.

Worth coughing up the $$$ for premium? Doubtful - you'd likely spend more on gas than you saved in mpg.

It's not the compression - it's the timing. Ford advances the timing to take advantage of premium fuel. It's more accurate to say that the timing is advanced to take advantage of premium fuel rather than retarding it for lower octane, but the result is the same.

It would also depend if you have ethanol in either. Here we have ethanol (5-10%) in our 87 octane gas. The premium has no ethanol and thus gets better mileage.

My cars see 2-5 MPG difference between the 2 fuels but when you factor in the cost per gallon the 87 is still cheaper.

It's not the compression - it's the timing. Ford advances the timing to take advantage of premium fuel. It's more accurate to say that the timing is advanced to take advantage of premium fuel rather than retarding it for lower octane, but the result is the same.

:lol: I should have stated it better - thanks for the correction!

It would also depend if you have ethanol in either. Here we have ethanol (5-10%) in our 87 octane gas. The premium has no ethanol and thus gets better mileage.

My cars see 2-5 MPG difference between the 2 fuels but when you factor in the cost per gallon the 87 is still cheaper.

Good point - been driving diesels so long I didn't know PUG didn't have the ethanol. Did notice the 10% sticker @ fill up.

Ok, this is my 3rd fusion, had a 2007, a 2010 and now a 2013 SE. I do 100% city driving and my city is "Speed Hump" crazy. This has a lot to do with mpg. In addition, the fusion auto transmission is capable of learning your driving habits. If you have bad habits while driving, your transmission begins to drive badly as well. So, every 2,000 miles or so, I disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes, this resets the transmission.

My car was getting about 18 mpg, I did a reset and it now is averaging 21.6 (city) which is "in-line" with Fords city estimate of 22 mpg. Just a tip to help you gas conscience drivers.

Okay. Just for the hell of it today; I decided to do another full trip home with a fresh reset. Approx 15 miles, all highway, some mild hills along the way, but ability to recoup on the decend. Here's the numbers according to the car Via the Instant Fuel Economy; I'll do the conversions to US MPG.

Conditions - No Wind, Temperature 30.2 degrees F, roads bare and dry. Car fully warmed up and driving a bit before the reset and journy home. Cruise control set at 90 km/hr or 56mph (Our limits are low)

Overall Average by the time I hit the driveway - 7.5 L/100km = 31.36 MPG

Lowest Hit average - 7.3 L/100km = 32.22 MPG

Highest Hit Going up a the major hill in my home town: 8.1 L/100km = 29.04

The odd thing I found with this, is I am running the brand new snow tires on the car.. Figured the mileage would be worse, but it's actually improved?

Car currently has 1690 kms on it, or 1043 miles.

Also noticed that the original trip meter #2 in the car has never been reset, the lifetime "Advanced" meter is saying the overall average for total mileage is 10.9 L/100km = 21.58 MPG - Have done my fair share of passing, and playing with the paddle shift during, and a few WOT runs.

Edited by -Strike-