2013 Titanium horrible MPG so far.

marjen

What does have a large effect on fuel economy for me in this car is any sort of speed changes, even if it's just speeding up to pass or merge.... To get the best fuel economy, I need to try my darndest to stay at a constant speed.

I agree with this quite a bit. And actually, I found being too conservative with the gas pedal is actually worst. It seems going easy from a stop to say 25 MPH shows between 8-12 MPG on the instant read while accelerating Where as being a little more aggressive from a stop may be 6-10 MPG on the instant read. But by getting up to speed quicker you can then lay off the gas and see MPG shoot back up sooner.

Also interesting about the TSB about the Escape, however I wonder if the reason the Fusion wasn't included was because this is only a software issue on the Escape but a physical issue on the Fusion. I remember someone a few days ago who had the issue of not being able to fill all the way said he filled 4 gallons at a time and would wait about a minute before doing the next 4 gallons as was able to successfully get a full tank.

I recently received my '13 FF SE 2.0L and noticed some of things that is been mentioned throughout this thread. I'm actually somewhat relieved to see that this isn't just me. I have noticed the apparent inability to fully fill my tank as the gauge is about a centimeter away from "full," and the fuel economy I see from real-life driving varies from the 22/26/33 MPG, which was a large selling point for me. Anyways, to make this a short, I just wanted to post my findings as far as fuel economy and fill-ups as well (will provide a picture next time I fill up of the "almost-full" tank gauge display) and my initial thoughts for anyone interested in keeping this topic going.

2nd Fill-Up (did not record the first fill up data) - everything was resetted following the fill up.

• Type - Mid Grade Gasoline
  • Miles Driven - 290 (DTE unrecorded)
  • Gallons - 14 gallons
  • Fuel gauge went up to 1 cm below the "Full", did not top it off.
  • Avg MPG - 20.7
  • Driving Style - In between Granny and conservative
  • Avg MPH - 35 mph (based off miles driven over time driven)

Currently I am on my third tank, which was premium. I am at a little above 3/4 a tank, and have driven around 200 miles, which seems pretty low (Thoughts?). My average MPG is 24, but I am driving around 75% highway, a bit more liberally but still conservatively.

I am now at around 650 Total miles driven. I am aware of the break-in period, around 1000-1500 miles is what seems to be the general consensus. I will be accounting for this for the next 2 or so fill ups.

Verdict is still out, but will be interested to see everyone's progress on their experienced fuel economy, and the wacky (or maybe not) fueling characteristics of the car.

Overall great car (my first new car), but MPG is a bit disappointing, for now...

Edited by sterlinggray
  • Like 1

Finally had my car in for her first service. They gladly fixed a door alignment issue I had noticed :)

But I brought up the lackluster fuel economy and basically told me the EPA tests under perfect conditions and that my engine isn't completely broken in yet (3800 miles). I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now....

Also brought up how my Fuel Gauge drops quickly after filling and how I can't get more than 12.5-13 gallons when I fill up from almost E (as reported). They didn't have an answer and are escalating it to Ford Engineering. I'll post back what they say.

• Like 1

I'm still not impressed with mine. I ran a full highway tank at 70mph and got 28mpg. Ran another tank with 90% highway and 10% city and got 26mpg. I am still unable to get more than 22mpg with my normal 50/50 highway/city driving. I wouldn't have a problem with the gas mileage if I were in a performance sedan, but it's a little bothersome getting this in a FWD non-performance sedan. Depending on how things end up playing out with the 2014 Chevy SS I might consider trading in the Fusion for one of those when it comes out. My biggest complaint about the Fusion is the FWD. I wouldn't have opted for AWD because I would only get AWD from Audi or Subaru, they're the only ones that do AWD right.

Anyway, ramblings aside, I'm still waiting to see how it does in the summer. I've got 3k miles on it now so it'll be fully broken in and off winter fuel, so if it's not getting what I want then I will be complaining to the dealership.

I'm still not impressed with mine. I ran a full highway tank at 70mph and got 28mpg. Ran another tank with 90% highway and 10% city and got 26mpg. I am still unable to get more than 22mpg with my normal 50/50 highway/city driving. I wouldn't have a problem with the gas mileage if I were in a performance sedan, but it's a little bothersome getting this in a FWD non-performance sedan. Depending on how things end up playing out with the 2014 Chevy SS I might consider trading in the Fusion for one of those when it comes out. My biggest complaint about the Fusion is the FWD. I wouldn't have opted for AWD because I would only get AWD from Audi or Subaru, they're the only ones that do AWD right.

Anyway, ramblings aside, I'm still waiting to see how it does in the summer. I've got 3k miles on it now so it'll be fully broken in and off winter fuel, so if it's not getting what I want then I will be complaining to the dealership.

Good luck with Gubmint Motors - still building fine products :hysterical:

Highway is rated @ 33, given say -15% for above 65 = 28ish. Seems just about right for 70mph.

50/50 mix for me is still about 24-25, pretty close to the 26 rating..............and that's in the winter. I expect to see it get better in the small ideal season where I'm not running the AC or heat.................

My mileage is right inline with yours at almost 2k. I do not see it. getting any better. And i have got to say i am pretty mad right now about it. I cod have got a f150 that does better than this car.

Really - which one? Best one is rated around 21 highway.

I'd be more than willing to bet the HPFP has something to do with the "excess" reserve, bad chit can happen to them if they run dry. Might be caution on Ford's part. Anyone want to run it dry & see how if it needs a re-prime or just fill & go?

Edited by Bailey151

A flashed ecoboost with exhaust, and intake would certainly get you close. Which us why i feel something is wrong with these little ecoboost engines. Black soot on the tail pipes. I mean come on. No matter how you look at it. Thats incomplete/wasted fuel.

A flashed Fusion with exhaust, intake would also get you better mileage ..... I fail to see your point?

Edited by B8BB8B

I noticed a strange thing about the driving behavior of my FF2.0L on highway driving.

It has been difficult to get into and remain in that cruising speed where my MPG is consistently at around 30 mpg, as the slightest push on the pedal shoots the mpg down to around 20-22, and the speed does nor increase at all. If I am pushing the pedal slightly less, then I end up losing speed and I have to accelerate back up to cruising speed, which then consequently uses more gas.

This would not be as intriguing to me if the variance in highway mpg wasnt effected so drastically by the SLIGHTEST change in the throttle, with no resulting significant change in speed. I mean literally, it is probably a matter of pushing the pedal a cm or 2 more/less that makes the mpg meter flux all over the place. Hopefully this post makes sense. Perhaps this is just how Ford made this midsize sedan a more "responsive" and fun ride, or perhaps I am lacking knowledge on how combustion engine and the throttle works. Or maybe im just looking to pour more fuel over the fire.

I will say though that since my last post, I have not seen any increase in mpg and it is extremely dissapointing... will be bringing it up to my dealer when I pick up my tags.

I've noticed that to. You need to hold the gas pedal at just the right spot to not lose speed and to keep the instant MPG around 30. Tricky, but it is possible. I would guess a lot of cars, even non-turbo are pretty similar, it's just that with the Fusion that information is readily available to see instantly.

1K miles - just did a 180 mile trip from Atlanta to Birmingham and back. Temp 45. Speed was between 60-75. Averaged 31 mpg. Not bad for those speeds and E-10 winter blend fuel without being fully broken in. I could have probably gotten 33 at 55 mph.

What the eff... My hybrid averages 32! Yay $3000 = 1 MPG difference?

Come on software update... Close the flaps, stop running the engine so rich...

I've noticed that to. You need to hold the gas pedal at just the right spot to not lose speed and to keep the instant MPG around 30. Tricky, but it is possible. I would guess a lot of cars, even non-turbo are pretty similar, it's just that with the Fusion that information is readily available to see instantly.

Guys, this is normal on most vehicles, some get better MPG and can hold it, some don't. The computer has a function called TPS and it can be read by a Scangauge II.

TPS= Throttle Position Sensor In some vehicles, a closed throttle will read 0 and full throttle will read 100. Other vehicles will have a higher value than 0 for a closed throttle and a full throttle value less than 100.

Your direct injection and EcoBoost engine is quick to respond to the TPS and now you can see by your Instance MPG gauge. If you want to learn more about how too improve your MPG, get a Scangauge II. I have one in the three Fords I own, and never drive a vehicle without one. For instances, my '11 Explorer is getting better MPG than your 2.0L EcoBoost just because I can hold 32mpg plus on the highway. Sure, the MPG drops fast as I increase speed, but I know this is normal and I accelerate to a steady state speed faster to where my average MPG is not hurt that much over a tank of gas. Headwinds affect how much TPS and Instant MPG readings, so you take advantage of the tailwinds on the return trip, that's all.

The faster you learn how to drive for MPG, the more you will save for the rest of your life! Just learn how not to waste gas in your EcoBoost as much. You can still have fun, but be a smart driver the rest of the time.

• Like 1

Guys, this is normal on most vehicles, some get better MPG and can hold it, some don't. The computer has a function called TPS and it can be read by a Scangauge II.

Yeah, this is what I was trying to say. Most cars probably dip a lot once you press the gas down even a little. We are just noticing now because we have a car that shows the instantaneous MPG readout. I don't see the need for Scangauge II since the car itself has the instantaneous readout. I'm sure there are probably other goodies that you could look at as well with it.