New Fusion Owner Pics and Impressions

MineralstangGT

This is what I think rkan meant:

All designs consist of compromises. Unless you're willing to spend 85K+, I think the 2013 Fusion is one of, if not the best car designs ever. Size, style, capacities, comfort, price, performance, etc could be better in any car, but for the Fusion, none are compromised to a point that they are a real issue. It's a car average drivers can afford but still make them feel "upper class".

• Like 2

What car did you own before it? What things do you feel you compromised on? Would love to hear about it. Congrats!

This is what I think rkan meant:

All designs consist of compromises. Unless you're willing to spend 85K+, I think the 2013 Fusion is one of, if not the best car designs ever. Size, style, capacities, comfort, price, performance, etc could be better in any car, but for the Fusion, none are compromised to a point that they are a real issue. It's a car average drivers can afford but still make them feel "upper class".

Yes........but more specifically I was referring to the inherent compromise that a midsize 4 door sedan is. And how Fords new Fusion is a well executed example of that. I came from a more focused product. The BMW 335i coupe, a benchmark sports coupe. Not as sharply focused as an M3, but very specific in its intent and pretty much universally regarded as succeeding. When I went for the Fusion it was a personal compromise, and a product compromise. I was concerned about bland, middle of the road execution. The last 4 door sedan I had was a 2003 Honda Accord, pleasant but not thrilling. The one test drive of 10 minutes I took in the Titanium was not enough to allay all my fears, but enough to buy it. Now after living with it for a week I can see, feel, and appreciate the ride and handling characteristics I had read about in so many reviews. In other words, coming from from a great handling rocket to this, is not as bad as I thought it would be. Thats praise actually, back handed as it sounds.

Some of the "luxury" items I ordered on my BMW from the factory in 2009, are now available on a 30k car. Keyless entry, and start. Ipod integration with on screen interaction and control. Bluetooth integration with phone book download and voice dialing. Navigation with "send to car" ability. Rain sensing wipers.

Some things I couldn't get in '09, (some I would not want anyways) remote start, park assist, lane monitoring, blind spot monitor. Progress and feature trickle down are great!

I do miss the heated steering wheel, (I know, I'm a weenie) and the lack of a 6 spd manual on the "big" motor. And in my opinion the Idrive click wheel/mouse button was a stroke of control genius. (not a big fan of touch screens). REALLY wish the Fusion had an HID option (adaptive or not), once you go HID, going back to halogen is like closing your eyelids halfway at night while driving.

When it comes to styling they hit a home run. Think about most other mass market sedans styling that have come out in the last decade (or even farther back). They start out with a clean new "plain" design and release it on the 1st year. If successful they tweak a couple of colors or trim options for the 2nd year. By the 3rd year or via a "sport package" previously, they add some aerodynamic looking tweeks, deeper bumper fascia, or side sills or rear bumper extensions. In other words they try and add some dynamism to a "plain", normal design to keep it fresh and exciting. The Fusions design started out in "year 4". Aggressive, dynamic, full of character. Its already been "upgraded' right out of the gate! Wonder what Ford is going to do in a couple of years to add design excitement to the "aging" Fusion? Maybe nothing. The designs inherent "maturity" may lead to no big changes until the Mid cycle refresh?

As far as interior design, I found it funny reading a couple of reviews that described the Titanium's interior as subdued, monotone, conservative, etc. You don't know conservative till you have sat in a BMW black interior.

To me, sitting in the drivers seat of my Fusion is like going to a gay disco. So many lights! So much shiny stuff! So much going on! Hey, who grabbed my ass?! Oh, thats the seat heater.

Its just the right amount of tech,black and gray highlights. Only wish that everything in there that is chrome, was brushed aluminum.

So in conclusion. I like the car. Its a DAMN good compromise. :-)

Edited by rkan
  • Like 2

................................As far as interior design, I found it funny reading a couple of reviews that described the Titanium's interior as subdued, monotone, conservative, etc. You don't know conservative till you have sat in a BMW black interior.

:) Have the same thought. Everytime I read one of those comments my first thought is "have you ever spent anytime in a German car"? My wife's first comment on a test drive was "how teutonic". Car reminds me a lot of my old B5.5 Passat - a very good balance between supple for ride & taut for handling, a decent compromise for a "family" sedan.

Styling? I'll admit I was hooked when it was revealed.

So I guess I will be adding pictures/impressions sooner than I had anticipated. I went to two dealers just wanting them to appraise my current car so I can order my Fusion Ti. Well, one of them had one coming in soon that had everything I wanted minus the H-Spoke rims. Talked them up in my trade in as I was honestly only expecting 1200-1500 for it considering its 14 years old and only in fair condition. Ended up getting 2000 for the trade in. Then I found out I received the 750 coupon, but if I ordered a car now I would not have received it in time. So I made a decision to get the car they had coming in and deal with the rims at a later point.

So in all I got a Ti White Platinum with Drivers Assistance, Adaptive Cruise, Parking Aid & Moon Roof for $32963, after rebates and trade in $28713. I feel I got a great deal, especially considering my trade in.

I have to say that I am in agreement with most of the comments and reviews posted here in this thread...the positive ones that is. I simply love the car! The performance is better than expected, the handling is spot on, the looks...well...she's a knockout...drop-dead gorgeous...a real head-turner...in short, she's HOT! The features surpass all of the direct competitors and are executed very well, imho. I even like the MFT...mainly because I don't expect it to be anything it isn't and I accept the design solution they chose.

Here's a couple of photos I took yesterday...

8379304686_1b3b0440e4.jpg

• Like 4

2 week new owner of a white platinum SE 1.6 Auto with Appearance PKG and Tech PKG

Previous Lincoln LS owner

Good:

Styling, Handling, Door Thonk when closing, midrange power, base radio with MFT is better then I thought, styling, attention to detail. Soft touch interior materials. Seats. Phone connectivity. Value of mid-range model

Bad:(Actually 99% of car is good just nit picking here)

MFT Sync as far as the audio connecting. It locks up and does not play nice with my iPhone. The screen is way to slow to respond. Also my right dash screen loses the audio source selections. Where is app link?

Brake pedal has a weird feel noticed it on multiple cars I drove. Almost feels a little sticky at the top of travel. The brakes are good just I notice a weird feel to the pedal.

Radio sounds bad when cold. I know this is weird but the sound is not good when the car is cold. It is fine once the car warms up. I am really nitpicking here but I do notice this.

Also mine also only takes 11-12 gallons but I bet this is just the reserve buffer in the miles to empty.

Took me exactly 1 day to get use to the turn signal but it was weird at first.

This is by far the best mid size car you can buy now. Nothing looks and drives as nice as this car in its class.

• Like 2

Well, I kissed a curb on the passenger side this morning and scuffed up the rims on that side a little. (I suppose it was a better option than losing the driver's side mirror, which would have been the alternative).

Once I figure out what kind of paint the Appearance Package rims need, I'm going to try the repair method detailed here: http://www.autopia-carcare.com/realwhda.html

The Ford accessories site lists the wheels as "Sparkle Silver-Painted Aluminum" (http://accessories.ford.com/kit-wheel-10471.html). I found a site (http://www.paintscratch.com) that lists "Sparkle Silver Effect (Wheel)" for the 2013 Fusion, so I'm going to buy their primer/base/clearcoat kit and give it a go.

Thanks for the compliments guys! I don't really like steelies so I decided to go with something I like for the winter. They weren't very expensive so I won't be upset if they get damaged from salt or debris.