New Fusion Owner Pics and Impressions

MineralstangGT

They already run at around 20 psi. That's a lot for any engine. Ford is not known to over build an engine to handle a bunch of extra power, i have seen some of the older mustang engines split in half at around 500, that's not very much imo.

Granted the engines are turbo'd from the factory they are stronger yes. But to handle 300hp at the wheels for the lifetime of the car m sure it would shorten the life span. Speaking of strength has any one ever come across a tear down of an ecoboost? I would be curious to know rod size, main bolt numbers etc.

The only additions I've made so far are a set of winter wheels and tires, some non-custom floor mats for the winter, and the molded splash guards and trunk mat from Ford.

Would you mind posting a picture of the Ford Trunk mat installed and tell us your thoughts of it? I'm trying to decide between it and the Husky trunk mat. I have the Ford all-weather floor mats and I am disappointed with the coverage on the driver's side. I just don't want to shell out the $ for another disappointment.

I've got the Ford mat in the trunk. It's thin but fits well. I'll see if I can grab a shot or two unless bluspikez beats me to it.

It's a race! I've got a photo, need to get it on photobucket before posting. :)

Edit - here's the photo I grabbed. Sorry for the questionable phone camera quality...

The mat is rather thin, as mentioned, and is made of some sort of lightweight thermoplastic. It is well contoured to the trunk and has a good sized lip (maybe 2-3") all the way around. It comes rolled up in a box when you get it, and since it was cold mine was still reforming to its normal shape after being rolled, which caused the imperfections at the front of the mat. It now fits much better at that spot.

My only concern about its build quality is of puncture resistance - the material seems like it may let a sharp edge through...

image_5_zps7f5d6288.jpeg

Edited by bluspikez

I have the Ford rubber mats too and while the drivers side leaves a bit to be desired, I'm happy with the rest of them. My trunk mat I was disappointed in the fit but after having some weight on it and allowing some time for it to get back to its original shape it looks really great and I'm very happy with it.

Is adaptive cruise control really worth it? I scoffed at lane keeping assist and adaptive cruise control, figuring I would never need them. I don't know what state my Fusion is in so I don't know if I can possibly change it (and honestly I'd just prefer if the car did all the driving by itself. Still waiting, Ford!).

And if not the engine, it'll be the tranny. I read that the 6F50 is rated to 300hp and 280lb-ft and that's the big brother to the 6F35 that our cars have (data from 2005 press release...it can probably handle a bit higher loads these days after some refinements). I haven't seen numbers for the 6F35, but my guess is the 2.0L at stock output is probably right at the edge for what the 6F35 can safely handle.

An interesting note on this - the 2013 MKZ has the 2.0L (240hp/270lb-ft) and the 3.7L (305hp/280lb-ft) as engine options. The 2.0L is paired with the 6F35, and the 3.7L gets the 6F50. If the 6F35 could handle the output of the 3.7L, my guess is that it would be used there as well.

That would be my guess - tranny is going to fail. I differ on the numbers, I'd guess 300/280 is right at the limit (though I'd bet it would take a bit more torque). That would be right inline with a 20% safety factor for long term use.

You sure you didn't want a Focus ST? :)

Is adaptive cruise control really worth it? I scoffed at lane keeping assist and adaptive cruise control, figuring I would never need them. I don't know what state my Fusion is in so I don't know if I can possibly change it (and honestly I'd just prefer if the car did all the driving by itself. Still waiting, Ford!).

I'd rate the adaptive as one of the best features of the car. Highway travel with it is so much easier. No dicking around with the cruise when you come up on traffic. It slows down, move left when you get the chance -> away you go right back up to your set speed. The distance interval is easy to set, button is right there - you can close it up to avoid cut ins. It makes highway travel much more enjoyable/easier - well worth the $$$$.

Note - I live on the east coast where highway traffic is at minimum moderate...............if I lived in areas without such traffic levels my opinion might change.

I got it on mine just because I couldn't find one exactly how I wanted without it. I actually like it more than I thought I would. I thought it was silly at first, but on the PA Turnpike I found it quite helpful. If I had the choice, would I pay $1,000 for it? Only if I did a lot of highway driving (which I don't).

Adaptive cruise is easily my favorite feature of my new FFH. I will never buy another car without it. I still haven't made up my mind on lane keeping. Blind spot is another favorite.

I'm not really sure I'm comfortable hearing that people are using the lane assist to text people. :) It's funny on a technical level but dangerous from a "I just spent $35,000 on something" point of view. Lane-keeping won't save you from rear-ending someone but I suppose if you have adaptive cruise control it might help a little.

Self driving cars, please!

Edited by Mystiq
  • Like 1

Wow, you guys sure are buzz kills.

Do none of you ever mod a vehicle or just buy it stock and leave it stock......that's kind of boring.

Those 3 things will not blow and engine or transmission, maybe if I went a few steps further and put a differnet turbo or make it push more pressure I would blow something but otherwise it's far from making anything blow.

I agree, I doubt that 300hp is going to kill the trans in this car. My Audi A4 came with 170hp and when I was done with it the car was making closer to 280-300hp. I started modding at 140k miles (25psi on a hybrid K04 turbo) and at 170k it has now I've not had a single problem with the engine or trans (it has an automatic).

I won't be modding the Fusion anytime soon though, I've never had a warranty and I don't want to take the chance of losing it. If I do any mods they'll be done through Ford so I don't risk my warranty.

Winter mode:

IMG_1165_zpsa04f0664.jpg

What size are those wheels/tires? 16"?

Been looking to get a "winter package" but wasn't sure if the 16s would fit (or look right, for that matter). Now that I see your pic, it looks acceptable to me, especially for winter mode.

My last car's winter mode was 15" steelies.

1359556768.jpg

Been looking to get a "winter package" but wasn't sure if the 16s would fit (or look right, for that matter). Now that I see your pic, it looks acceptable to me, especially for winter mode.

Hey, that's my car! Mine's black though :) Mine's a '01 with 130k miles.

Can someone with a Titanium tell me if they have a trim piece behind the rear view mirror that covers the wiring for the sensors at the top of the windshield? Mine is open and you can see the wiring with foam padding around it. It looks like there should be a trim piece there. Thanks.

Can someone with a Titanium tell me if they have a trim piece behind the rear view mirror that covers the wiring for the sensors at the top of the windshield? Mine is open and you can see the wiring with foam padding around it. It looks like there should be a trim piece there. Thanks.
Mine is Hybrid SE, not Titanium.

There's about 1/4 inch of exposed wires on the mirror end on mine.

Those are for auto dimming mirrors, right?

That bad boy is a '00 VR6. Traded it in for the Fusion with 172k miles. Drove the piss out of it LOL

I kinda miss it. But only a little. :)

Nice :) I know I'll miss driving mine (it's a manual) after I get my Fusion. That little 1.8T engine has a lot of power! Can I ask what you got for your trade-in?

I'm not really sure I'm comfortable hearing that people are using the lane assist to text people. :) It's funny on a technical level but dangerous from a "I just spent $35,000 on something" point of view. Lane-keeping won't save you from rear-ending someone but I suppose if you have adaptive cruise control it might help a little.

Self driving cars, please!

I had a passenger in my car comment that the lane-keep system would be great for drunk driving. Another scary thought!

I thought I remember reading somewhere that it could tell if your hands weren't on the wheel and it alerted/warned you about that. Of course now that I'm thinking about it, I can't seem to find that anywhere...

I've noticed on mine that it will pop up a warning dialog (and sometimes turn the lane-keep off!) if it doesn't dectect any steering input for a certain amount of time (not sure what that amount is). The message says "keep hands on the steering wheel", but it's really just expecting some steering input.

I have a set of 17" wheels for winter. I've seen other photos with 16" wheels as well, and they look fine.

I can run outside and grab you a picture, but a quick google search found this photo, and I'm pretty sure it's what mine looks like:

13FusionInterior-600x399.jpg

I think it depends on whether you get the lane-keeping system and maybe even the driver assist. The picture bluspikez posted is for a car with lane keeping, which has the camera and more sensors behind the mirror.

Nice :) I know I'll miss driving mine (it's a manual) after I get my Fusion. That little 1.8T engine has a lot of power! Can I ask what you got for your trade-in?

Dealer gave me $1500. It needed a ton of mechanical work (probably a good $1500 worth) and wouldn't have passed inspection in May without it, so while selling it privately probably would have netted me more cash, but I didn't want to deal with the hassle of folks nitpicking over little things like the paint quality of a 12 y/o car with 172k miles on it. LOL.

I know a guy who is the GM of an Audi dealer in massachusetts. Said the manheim auctions were running about $1600 for similar trim/mileage. I figured I'd get as close to that number as I could.