Looking for some opinions...

deadman64

So I originally ordered a Titanium but had buyer's remorse about how much I was spending on a car (I do have x plan) and reordered an SE with basically everything the Titanium had.

Titanium: Nav, Driver Assist package, Moon roof, 19" wheels

SE: Luxury, MFT, Nav, Reverse Sensing, Moon roof

As you can see I tried to get everything the Titanium had except on the SE to try and save some money. I also dropped the driver assist. I felt good about saving the money, but was a little sad to not have the rear tail lights/push to start/sony sound, I wasn't sure if it was worth the delta between the two (for me the Titanium is $3000 more in this situation.)

The Titanium comes in tomorrow and the SE I ordered is scheduled to be built December 10th, so I wouldn't get it this year most likely. So a big difference there.

The delta is around 50 bucks a month for the same loan length. I planned on keeping the car a long time, but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra 3K. Anyone have an opinion? I do realize I'm only the only one that can make this choice as it's my financials but I never bought a new car before so I'm very nervous about the whole car payment thing.

Edited by deadman64

If money is a concern and the extra $50 or so per month will put a strain on your budget for the next 3, 4, 5, or more years stay with the SE. It's a great car and you will love it! After the car is paid for (or even before) you can always sell it and buy something else if you don't like it.

I was in a similar situation when I ordered my SE Hybrid with Appearance package, moonroof, and MFT. I was already increasing my budget/payment to get the Hybrid over a comparable 1.6 SE. I have been wanting the intelligent access and push button start in any new car I would get, but was originally willing to sacrifice it to get the increased mileage of the Hybrid. My SE Hybrid was on order for 2 weeks before I decided to ultimately switch to a Titanium hybrid minus the moonroof. I found the small appearance items plus the other tech items and the very comfortable sport leather seats were worth the money and wait. The delta for me is $2200. Since my order is technically not going to be picked up by Ford for another month I am guessing since the Titanium hybrids aren't being produced yet, I can still add the moonroof, but I have already increased my payment/budget twice already.

$3000 ($50/month) is a significant amount of money, but if you keep your cars for a while, it may be worth the sacrifice to enjoy a vehicle with all the features you want. I dislike the stock Titanium rims, but I realzied that I can easily change the rims (I plan on it aftermarket), but I cannot easily add push button start or intelligent access among other things. For me, I have started packing lunches occassionally to save money to offset the increased payment. I went through almost 2 weeks of back and forth, frustration that I couldn't make a decision but once i got to the dealer to compare the SE and Titanium features (gas models), upgrading felt right since I plan to keep the car until it is paid off at least (finally! lol), and I didn't want to regret not getting features I really have wanted.

For you, it is tougher since you will have the Titanium there just calling out to you to take it home lol. If I was able to get the Titanium before the SE, it would have been an easy decision to switch for me. My SE would have probably been delivered in January. Now I will have to wait until March probably. I am very analytical and emotional about my car purchases at the same time, so I know what you are going through.

I can't control your money, but if you have any doubts/regrets about giving up the added features, and can add $50/month to your budget without much stress, then I would go for the Titanium. Is the SE you ordered a 1.6 or 2.0?

I've figured out a trick to not get caught up in the monthly payment game and talk yourself into something more expensive that you don't really want or need.

Instead of looking at things by monthly payment, I compare 2 vehicles and pretend one has a stack of money sitting in the seat. e.g.

If you're looking at a $30K SE and a $34K Titanium - picture the SE with $4K sitting in the passenger seat. Would you rather have the SE and $4K in your pocket to spend on other stuff or would you rather have the Titanium? Or if you're looking at a new vehicle vs. keeping your old one just picture driving the old one for 2 more years with an extra $9600 in your pocket (based on the new vehicle costing $400/month).

Doing this prevents you from spending $30K on a new vehicle just to save $3K in fuel costs over 5 years and thinking you're saving money.

I used to be a master at rationalizing what I wanted and I didn't even realize I was doing it. It's not hard - just look at payments or short term financials and ignore the long term bigger picture. You can rationalize anything. I still buy what I want - I just do it with full disclosure now (to myself) and I acknowledge that in order to get this I'll be giving up that down the road.

• Like 2

Haha, I thought long and hard. My Explorer is paid off in April, so payment free. So right then and there, I'm already saving $6000/yr.

The costs of repairs are just starting to creep up, and the truck uses about $80/wk in fuel. So, I was considering upgrading to something a little smaller, and better on fuel. I know keeping my truck will save me the most money in the long run, obviously. However, the thoughts of getting into something new and spending money had me drawn in. I don't seem to be able to go a year without atleast one big purchase. I've never really been about saving money for some reason.

The Fusion as it stands, will be cheaper on fuel by a ton, the payments are less per month than my Explorer, and the insurance rate is going down substantially for me next renewal.

With my budget already worked in for the costs of my Explorer, per month I'm easily spending around about a thousand a month just to drive it. I have no problems hopping into something new which *appears* as though I am saving money, however not really considering I just took on payments for another number of years when I could be payment free within months. But, in the situation now, yes it's cheaper than what I currently pay, and I'm quite comfortable as it stands. So the thoughts of a little extra cash in my pocket at the end of every week sounds good, and the bonus to being in something brand new again, and having a full warranty again. That and I want it :D

Edited by -Strike-

Haha, I thought long and hard. My Explorer is paid off in April, so payment free. So right then and there, I'm already saving $6000/yr.

The costs of repairs are just starting to creep up, and the truck uses about $80/wk in fuel. So, I was considering upgrading to something a little smaller, and better on fuel. I know keeping my truck will save me the most money in the long run, obviously. However, the thoughts of getting into something new and spending money had me drawn in. I don't seem to be able to go a year without atleast one big purchase. I've never really been about saving money for some reason.

The Fusion as it stands, will be cheaper on fuel by a ton, the payments are less per month than my Explorer, and the insurance rate is going down substantially for me next renewal.

With my budget already worked in for the costs of my Explorer, per month I'm easily spending around about a thousand a month just to drive it. I have no problems hopping into something new which *appears* as though I am saving money, however not really considering I just took on payments for another number of years when I could be payment free within months. But, in the situation now, yes it's cheaper than what I currently pay, and I'm quite comfortable as it stands. So the thoughts of a little extra cash in my pocket at the end of every week sounds good, and the bonus to being in something brand new again, and having a full warranty again. That and I want it :D

And you've done your homework. You understand that keeping the Explorer will save the most money because it's paid for and it's worth the cost to get a new vehicle. Too many people would just say "my payment is $50 less than my old one and I'm saving $50/month on gas so I'm saving $100/month" and totally ignore the difference between a car payment and not having a car payment.

I could easily keep my 06 Fusion several more years. But I'm willing to incur a new car payment to have something new. I also understand that I'm giving up money that could be used for a new patio or deck, etc and that's a tradeoff I'm willing to make.

• Like 1

My problem is I haven't been able to convince my wife that the ~$2k difference between my SE and a base Titanium is worth it. When I tell her the differences she makes fun of me, lol. Her last statement was "do you really need to spend another two grand to get some shiny lights and a key you don't have to take out of your pocket???". It's hard to argue with her, because all the stuff I want on the Titanium is just extra "nice" stuff. I'm getting the engine I want, the interior I want and the tech that I want (minus the Sony stuff, but that's not a huge deal). So as it stands now I'll be sticking with my SE, but there will be 3 things I will want to change as soon as I can:

Tail lights

Headlights (I will find a way to get the Mondeo LEDs!)

Wheels

• Like 1

My problem is I haven't been able to convince my wife that the ~$2k difference between my SE and a base Titanium is worth it. When I tell her the differences she makes fun of me, lol. Her last statement was "do you really need to spend another two grand to get some shiny lights and a key you don't have to take out of your pocket???". It's hard to argue with her, because all the stuff I want on the Titanium is just extra "nice" stuff. I'm getting the engine I want, the interior I want and the tech that I want (minus the Sony stuff, but that's not a huge deal). So as it stands now I'll be sticking with my SE, but there will be 3 things I will want to change as soon as I can:

Tail lights

Wheels

Yeah when I talk to friends about the differences they make me feel like an idiot for paying extra for those things lol.

I just don't know what I'm gonna do. It's a really tough call. Akirby's suggestion with picturing that 3000 bucks sitting next to me is a great way to try and decide.

I'm concerned about something happening to the car I'm going to trade in so waiting until after xmas increases the risk of something happening and getting less for it than I will now. I hear funny noises in the transmission every once in awhile, which is concerning.

Yeah when I talk to friends about the differences they make me feel like an idiot for paying extra for those things lol.

I just don't know what I'm gonna do. It's a really tough call. Akirby's suggestion with picturing that 3000 bucks sitting next to me is a great way to try and decide.

I'm concerned about something happening to the car I'm going to trade in so waiting until after xmas increases the risk of something happening and getting less for it than I will now. I hear funny noises in the transmission every once in awhile, which is concerning.

Mine is starting to burn oil, I'm pretty sure a valve seal or two has started letting go. The trans is my biggest concern as well though, because I'm pushing 100hp more than stock and the trans has had no work done to it (automatic). It hasn't had a single hiccup, which makes me more worried that one day it's just going to completely let go and blow up, lol.

Tail lights

Wheels

Lol - I know exactly what you mean regarding your wife - same here.

In my case, I'm going hybrid, so the decision was made easier since Titanium Hybrid would imply an even longer (and apparently open ended) wait. So SE it is.

On the OP original question - my approach is similar to akirby's, sans pile of cash on the passenger seat visualization (but will try that next time! ). I always think in terms of total cost - not monthly payments - and what could I possibly do with that instead. If I do decide to indulge on something, at least I generally feel I understood the tradeoffs.

On this particular order, I'd list the color ("ruby red") and the 18" luxury wheels are the hardest to justify indulgences, each at 400-500 dollars. Luckily, the dealer did have ruby red units (non-hybrid) when we ordered, so wife and I agreed that was worth the extra money after seeing the cars - it just looks gorgeous in red. I got away with the wheels, but she's still making fun of me....

Also on the OP original question. You mentioned your SE order dropped Driver Assistance package. I believe this is BLIS + Cross traffic alert + lane changing warning.

My old 11 FFH had the first 2. The new one might be a little more evolved in those 2 features plus has the lane change warning. Still, based on how useful it has been for the almost 2 years I owned the 11 FFH, I am highly skeptical the 13 Fusion version is worth he $1000 MSRP. So my order does not have it, and I think it was a good move to drop it from your SE order.

True, if I could have dropped the driver assist I would have. But the decision at hand is a Titanium with the driver assist, so I either take it and have the car tomorrow or wait almost 2 months for the $3k cheaper SE.

I'm gonna go check it out tomorrow after crunching numbers all night tonight. I know emotions will play a role once I get in the Titanium that could be mine...

Deadman, I see where this is going...

Just be happy with whatever decision you make.

We will be here to support you, as long as you post pictures for the less fortunate of us lol

lol thanks, we have a great community here.

Still not sure what I'm gonna do. I'd love to have a new car tomorrow but I just don't know if 3000 bucks is worth driver assist, real LED tail lights, premium sound and push to start.

If financing was my biggest reason.. I'd just keep rollin' in the Frontier.. it's got an oil and steering fluid leak, and the A/C doesn't work all that good.. but she is still rollin' and she's been PAID FOR for several years now....

But my boys don't fit in the small backseat (crew cab) anymore, and along with the other problems, it only gets about 10 or so miles to the gallon... and I've been wanting a hybrid "techie" vehicle for several years now... so I'm saving up as much as possible until my car is finally delivered so I can have the largest cash downpayment as possible.

60 months is my limit and I prefer 48 months. If you have to go longer than 60 months then you're probably trying to spend too much.

Yeah, with the Titanium I'd probably do 72 but pay ahead and do it in 60. But if I wait on the SE I could lock in at the 60 and try to pay it in 48.

I don't know if I'm being overly picky about my money (and really 50 bucks a month). I'm still saving money each month either way, but for some reason the cheaper SE makes me more comfortable.