Interior Road Noise Level

jsellar

For those of you who have received your Fusions, what is your interior road noise like at say, 70 MPH?

When looking online, one review says 60 db, one review says 70 db.

I've downloaded a few free noise/sound meter apps on my phone, but I don't have my Fusion yet, so I can't test.

I know everyone's results will vary, depending on phones, road conditions, etc. I'm hoping that if we get enough results, we could get some kind of semi-accurate average.

I know some of you don't really care, and just say "it's quiet enough", but I know there are a few of us that just love to have the numbers. If you choose to post results, please be sure to state the model you have, because engine types will be a factor.

There is going to be such a wide variety of results in downloadable phone db meter apps and techniques, that the results would only have some merit only if you had several hundred responses. Now, If the same person using the same technique on the same stretch of road at the same speed with the same weather conditions went from car to car with the same db meter, then you would have something you could compare. I was looking for something like that for research for my sister, she wants a quiet car. All I could tell her is my Fusion is quiet, and the Buicks and Chevy Cruise are quiet. But I'm sure there's more. I would say there's not much difference from Fusion model to Fusion model, except the hybrid would be a tick quieter if it was running on its batteries. Fusions are quiet. That was a priority for Ford. Open the driver door and you see sound insulatin stuffed inside the fender gaps where there used to be air.

There is going to be such a wide variety of results in downloadable phone db meter apps and techniques, that the results would only have some merit only if you had several hundred responses......................

That was my first thought, it all depends on conditions.

But in the interest of science I used my actual SPL meter (a cheap Rat Shack) this morning, 63 @ 65 (ish)...........but this was on new paving, very smooth.

Noise is so subjective - there's what the meter read & then there's perception. While driving all I really heard was the rain, road noise is minimal. Driving with my wife on weekends you can hold a conversation w/o any intruding noise - perception is it's very quiet.

You're right that there are too many variable to get any kind of accurate results here. I thought we might get some kind of average, but perhaps not! road conditions, testing "equipment", tires, human perception... ugh!!! Oh well...

And then there's the personal part............what annoys the living **** out of me may not bother you at all & the reverse.

Just for fun, I downloaded the sound meter app on my Nexus 4. In my current car (which I consider noisy / loud / can't have a normal conversation) it registers around 85 dB on the highway going about 70mph. It's 60-65dB in the office @ work and we have a pretty loud white noise system here.

I'm curious if the Titanium has increased sound isolation vs the other models. My 2013 Fusion Titanium is really quiet, I compared it to my dad's new Escape SE and noticed a huge difference. I'll see if I can use one of those apps on the hwy, but it's definitely really quiet, never have to raise my voice when I'm talking to someone else in the car, plus bluetooth interference is nonexistent, people say I come in really clear on the phone.

I only have one minor rattle, it's in/around the passenger front door tweeter. Can hear it with the bass up in music, and some bumpy road surfaces. That and sunglasses do rattle like a biatch in the holder with the music up, hah.

I have the same rattle/buzz!! I'm gonna get the dealer to check it out when I take her in for the headlamps on Wed.

• Like 1

It's quite important to me, since I wear hearing aids. I can't tune out background noise like everyone else, so conversations are tough in noisy cars.

I think you will be quite pleasantly surprised with the overall noise level inside the car...several car-mag reviewers have commented on it with statements like "The FIRST thing I notice(d) while driving the car is how quiet it is." I get the impression that it has caught them off guard with the level of noise isolation and cancellation technology.

All of the noise I get is coming from having the stereo on or because I am applying the pedal on the right with some gusto... :peelout: