Mindless Drabble Thread

DarkeRetribution

Wow, just wow. I wrote up a response but realized I couldn't be nice so I deleted it. DarkeRetribution, I'll just say you may want to consider how you come off to other people on this forum. Tact seems to be a lost art.

Darke is trolling this board. He/she pretty much admitted it in the photos thread. The ignore user function here works pretty well.

• Like 3

Hybrids are much more sensitive to your driving style.

Having owned two for the last 5 (Prius) and 7 (Honda Accord) years my mileage varies greatly depending on all the things others have mentioned, weather, wind, temperature, how long your trips are and driving style.

Short trips absolutely kill mileage, the ICE just gets to the point of being able to shut down and you've arrived at your destination.

The higher mileage you get the more it varies, with all of the above especially how you drive the car. Just remember a 20-25 percent hit on mileage on a 18 mpg car in much smaller than the same percent at 47 mpg.hybrid

The Prius forums have many,many discussions on mileage and how to get the maximum.

Remember even with lousy driving style ,etc you are still getting maybe twice the mileage of most, if not all pure gasoline engines.

Edited by chuckokie36
  • Like 1

I'm on ignore but what the hell, I'll play.........

1- But you better believe if your 22 MPG was actually 12 MPG for your gas engine you would be pissed.

Um, ah, that would be just over 18 (18.26 I believe) if you were to drop the mpg by the same as the hybrid - math not a strong suit? How would I feel? Figure I had a lead foot & EPA ratings don't match real world.....a fact which I know because I took the time to learn about what I could expect before I purchased. My last vehicles exceeded EPA ratings, ratings which I thought were way too high ('05 w/ 25/32 & an '09 with 30/40). I was surprised to learn they would likely exceed - but I did the research before purchase. Same as I did before I purchased this vehicle, in a spreadsheet with all the contenders - what the fuel costs would be for each.....along with a 20% variance for each (as per the EPA's guess). I knew if I bought a gasser I wouldn't hit the EPA, a diesel I would likely exceed, and as mentioned drove a hybrid & found I wold likely miss (I'm just not cut out to be a hypermiler). All part of being an educated consumer.

You're angry because you didn't.

2- Ford dealers nationwide and Ford official videos are all calling this "America's most fuel efficient midsized sedan" 47 highway / 47 city / 47 combined...EVERYWHERE...no where do they say its actually 20% less...so you're looking at around 9.4 MPG less give or take. So that is false advertising because in commercials they can list the fine print at the very bottom...that isn't done by official ford representatives and dealers to customers at time of purchase or in advertising videos that make it on Youtube or their website.

Guess it escaped you - even with a 17% variance it still IS the most fuel efficient gasoline engined mid sized sedan, and in ANY fuel type it's second only to the diesel powered Passat. If Ford followed the EPA guidelines then they have every right to claim 47 - which would most fuel efficient in any category.

3- Yes this car is 3,500 pounds...yes it is a midsized sedan...but none of that matters. The facts are it is a car that can get an advertised 47 MPG combined...it doesnt matter if its as big as a blue whale...if it is advertised at 47 MPG combined then that is what you should be expected to get...your ideas are clouded because once again you do not own the new hybrid, have not purchased one, or have a gas guzzler in your garage that is getting its advertised MPG or better. This concern lies with the hybrid/energi owners only and they have a right to be concerned when a majority of these cars can not meet EPA estimates.

Wow, you just don't get it do you - what part of "Consumer Reports tests don't matter" do you not get. The only test that matters is the EPA test procedure, period end of story.

You might want to google Consumer Reports & Suzuki Samurai (also Isuzu Trooper) to get a good idea of the validity of their testing methods.

....The point is...anyone with a gas model has no right to bash hybrid prospective buyers or anyone with a hybrid or speak as if they know hybrids best because they for one know why they DIDNT buy a hybrid. because then you can better compare it to a 50 MPG prius or a camry hybrid etc...instead of comparing 47 MPG to the other vehicles and thinking the fusion hybrid is a hands down decision...which is currently what Ford is doing deceptively.

Nobody is bashing anyone, folks are merely pointing out that is up you as a consumer to educate yourself about products you are interested in purchasing.

Prius? :lol: Really? You want to buy a duracell powered tin can knock yourself out (not really a knock on them, just not my kind of car).............far as I know this is America & we're not assigned cars.

...so get a life or go in your fusion and drive around the block burning a gallon of gas until you feel better lol.

Rude? Yeah, okay, sure. Before you go tossing out this line of crap how about you tell me what you've been driving for the last ten years? Me? Over that period I've averaged 38.23mpg while driving 130,000 miles.................so hows that for pissing away resources. Oh & toss in didn't use any batteries the ore of which is mined in China & then fossil fuels are used to ship them around the world until final installation in Japan. So shove that in your "greenie pipe" and smoke it.

Edited by Bailey151

The EPA test will be validation for Ford The hybrids are "made" with the EPA test in mind.

I bet the Ford 47/47/47 numbers are correct.. Most of the EPA test can be conducted under electric power. That might be a good reason why Ford programed the hybrids to run up to 60+MPH on electric power and can Capturer over 90% of energy lost through heat during braking.

Anything longer than the 43.9 miles covered by the five tests will reduce the MPG rating.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/the-truth-about-epa-city-highway-mpg-estimates

Dude :poke:

Just figured I'd chime in, I cannot see how it will ever be possible for me to get 47MPG average... 40 maybe... 31.7 Currently (ITS COLD UP HERE IN MICHIGAN)

That being said, I do not regret my descision to purchase my FFH. Love it!

Get your brake score closer to 100 than to 90 and you would have alot better shot at 47.

I'm very happy with the MPG I'm getting but I know I'll never average 47 over a long period. The best MPG I have seen on my Fusion when it is running only on the ICE on the highway is 39-40. If I am always over 62 mph, I'll never get the benefit of EV. If someone lives in an area where 55-60 mph is the normal hwy speed, I'm sure they will see MPG figures of 45-50.

I believe the thinking is that while the engine is breaking in, there could be some metal particles in the oil due to things still settling in or from the manufacturing process. While I don't know if that is true or not, that is why some people change their oil after the first 1000 miles or so.

I believe the thinking is that while the engine is breaking in, there could be some metal particles in the oil due to things still settling in or from the manufacturing process. While I don't know if that is true or not, that is why some people change their oil after the first 1000 miles or so.

Thanks. Thought it might be some hypermiler thing ...

I don't engage in name calling, but that is the most idiotic thing I have ever heard! Then you would complain about how the car doesn't let you go full throttle when you need it, say, to merge with traffic.

I'm certainly glad u don't engage in name calling, we're all adults here ( I would hope! ). We can agree to disagree, instead of calling ideas idiotic.

A computer controlled dampening should be an ideal compromise between saving on gas mileage and getting one into fast moving traffic safely in a hybrid, and yes, user selectable levels on that auto dampening would be great. If I wanted to roar into traffic on my own terms, like I said, I wouldn't have ordered the hybrid. I'm done with my sports car phases.

Yes that's the thought process, and I believe it's not really necessary anymore due to improved engines... but I still do it anyway, old habits die hard.

Whose Fuelly is this? its not camride he owns a titanium?? there is no pic of the Fusion and he owns a Cmax 13 also??

Likely a Fuelly user that may not even visit this site, the OP who referenced that Fuelly profile was probably searching by year/make/model to see what range of MPG was being shown.

ps - I assume that 98% is a pretty good brake score, sure with I had my 2013 to check in person!

Edited by jeff_h
  • Like 1

I'm certainly glad u don't engage in name calling, we're all adults here ( I would hope! ). We can agree to disagree, instead of calling ideas idiotic.

A computer controlled dampening should be an ideal compromise between saving on gas mileage and getting one into fast moving traffic safely in a hybrid, and yes, user selectable levels on that auto dampening would be great.  If I wanted to roar into traffic on my own terms, like I said, I wouldn't have ordered the hybrid.   I'm done with my sports car phases.

Sorry if I offended you, that was not my intention.  And having an idiotic idea is not near as bad as being an idiot...I've had PLENTY of idiotic ideas! :)Complete computer controlled damping is not a good idea, but having it user selectable would be awesome!  So we can agree to agree that our ideas are no far off. :)

If we don't want a computer ignoring our input to jump to 85 mph in a few seconds (say an accelerator stomp to the floor) then we shouldn't have bought hybrids.

Uhh, sorry, lggnutts, but I think this is a terrible idea. I may have stomped on that accelerator because an 18-wheeler is bearing down on me, and I don't want any computer ignoring me, whether in a hybrid or a 400-hp muscle car.

My wife has a Prius, and it's good at what it does, but it is surely not a driver's car. I really enjoyed test-driving the Fusion Hybrid, because it was responsive to my inputs, despite being a hybrid. And I am really looking forward to driving the Energi -- if it is as much fun to drive as the Hybrid, then I'm reaching for my wallet. But if it ignores my input, then the deal's off.

No offence taken! I can see the points made on both sides. A buggy computer trying to control my gradual entry into traffic would be worse than bad gas mileage. It could get me killed. But as software development gets better, I'm sure the extemes can be worked out.

And if I insist on racing speeding 18 wheelers into traffic, set that batmobile mode, gas mileage be damned, turbines to power, let the flames leap out the exhaust, and leave the 18 wheeler coughing on the smoke from the screeching tires, while I launch into the highway like a bat out of hell!

Perhaps a floor stomp ignores dampening no matter what the mode set and gives her all she's got. But a strong accelerator push that's not a panicked one can obey the setting and save gas or not.

Besides discussing extremes, what I'm desiring is to be a little closer to the advertised mpg without having to learn to be a hybrid driver. My hybrid premium purchase price doesn't come with formal training. Just a few leaves of feedback.

No offence taken! I can see the points made on both sides. A buggy computer trying to control my gradual entry into traffic would be worse than bad gas mileage. It could get me killed. But as software development gets better, I'm sure the extemes can be worked out.

I'd agree, all comes down to implementation. My wife's Hyundai is terrible - low speed corner (turning right) give it throttle & nothing, it refuses to downshift unless you hammer it then it's flat out (poor fuel economy). Same situation with human control you can feed enough throttle for a single downshift getting moderate acceleration with decent fuel usage.

Poor implementation - with a better algorithm it could work......at the moment it's just "leave it off".

.....Oh, and as a Ford shareholder and a Ford fan, this affects me as well. Most-likely, more than it does you (in pure $$$ numbers).

Well at least they're back to paying us to own it :)

• Like 1

Likely a Fuelly user that may not even visit this site, the OP who referenced that Fuelly profile was probably searching by year/make/model to see what range of MPG was being shown.

ps - I assume that 98% is a pretty good brake score, sure with I had my 2013 to check in person!

Correct, I've been watching Fuelly to see the 2013's pop up.

Correct, I've been watching Fuelly to see the 2013's pop up.

That guy you referenced on fuelly owns a 2013 fusion, a 2013 cmax and a 2013 sante fe.... And has the best MPG on fuelly... Doesn't this seem strange to anyone else???

He has put 6100 miles on three vehicles in 1 month??

Fake profile anyone?

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/kyle2007

Edited by nmadole