Fusion Investigation Upgraded

I see so many cars come in the shop with ratty old floor mats all twisted up under the pedals . At what point is the customer responsible for making sure his vehicle is safe to drive. Those vehicles have mat retainers. If your 5 year old vehicle has worn out mats, it's your responsibility to replace them. Also, don't go buy those extremely crappy thin rubber mats from walmart and stack on top. Common sense isn't so common. If there is an issue with broken retainers at what point does the manufacturer stop having to repair a wear item? 5 years, 10 years?

I feel like in the automotive industry the standard consumer idea is "I paid for this car once, I am not paying again".

The American consumer is warranty crazy. I don't want to be responsible for anything. It's always someone else's fault. If you see something is wrong with your car, it's your responsibility to have it repaired or at least checked out to make sure of safe operation.

When TPMS became a standard feature, instead of checking Tire pressure when the light came on, the customer would bring in and have the shop do it and was upset that warranty wouldn't cover air pressure adjustment. It's the customers responsibility to make sure their vehicle is maintained and repaired by a reputable shop.

It's the manufacturer and shops responsibility to advise you of proper operation and maintenance needs.

I have a home that has a 2 year warranty after that, sorry about your luck. You pay 200k for a home and constantly perform maintenance. You pay $30k for car and 5 years later you are complaining it needs something other than an oil change.

A bit long winded, I know, but I hear these complaints all the time.

• Like 4

fordtech1, my exact thoughts as I was scrolling down the thread. The safety devices are in place and a warning printed in the owner's manual regarding floor mats, where does it stop. Will buyers have to sign a waiver at delivery stating they understand how to properly install floor mats? Ford can't control whether or not the consumer attaches the retainers or reads the owners manual, is the next step to silkscreen a warning on the floor mat, visor and the face of the steering wheel, why not eliminate floor mats all together. You're right about warranty crazy. I read in every forum and on Facebook complaints from people who are ticked that Ford won't cover under warranty issues that come up out of warranty, one guy on the Escape Facebook page is complaining that Ford won't cover a thrown rod in at 73,000 miles. Where does it end?

fordtech1, my exact thoughts as I was scrolling down the thread. The safety devices are in place and a warning printed in the owner's manual regarding floor mats, where does it stop. Will buyers have to sign a waiver at delivery stating they understand how to properly install floor mats? Ford can't control whether or not the consumer attaches the retainers or reads the owners manual, is the next step to silkscreen a warning on the floor mat, visor and the face of the steering wheel, why not eliminate floor mats all together. You're right about warranty crazy. I read in every forum and on Facebook complaints from people who are ticked that Ford won't cover under warranty issues that come up out of warranty, one guy on the Escape Facebook page is complaining that Ford won't cover a thrown rod in at 73,000 miles. Where does it end?

I agree. I've had a bunch of Fords and every one I can remember has a robust fastening system for the driver side floor mat. Either a hook in the floor that goes through a hole in the mat or (in the case of my new Escape) a snap fitting. If you order the optional Ford all-weather mats, they come with instructions that tell you not to stack them, and they also utilize the built-in hardware to secure them. So for my Escape, it took all of 30 seconds to put them in.

Unless proven otherwise, the people that are having this issue have very low mental capability.

• Like 3

If you order the optional Ford all-weather mats, they come with instructions that tell you not to stack them, and they also utilize the built-in hardware to secure them.

My Flex came with the Ford all-weather mats. I'm pretty sure from the factory (I believe it was on the sticker anyway). When we picked her up they were stacked on top of the regular mats. I couldn't believe it! (And didn't notice for a week or so) If that is common I could see how the less knowledgable would think this was how they were supposed to be, as that's how they were from the dealer.

Edited by sullynd

BFD. I had this exact thing happen in the company Explorer I was driving. I went to stop and the more I put my foot on the brake the more the engine fought me. I shifted to neutral and stopped the vehicle with the engine racing around 4k. I looked down and saw the floor mat wedged against the accelerator. I got out, straightened out the floor mat, and refastened it on its hook. Problem solved. Blame goes to whoever vacuumed it, or went looking for loose change, and didn't put the mat back on the hook. Not an engineering issue.

My Flex came with the Ford all-weather mats. I'm pretty sure from the factory (I believe it was on the sticker anyway). When we picked her up they were stacked on top of the regular mats. I couldn't believe it! (And didn't notice for a week or so) If that is common I could see how the less knowledgable would think this was how they were supposed to be, as that's how they were from the dealer.

Same thing happened with our Flex back in '09. Of course the Toyota thing hadn't happened yet so I never gave it a second thought and just removed the all weather mats myself.

I have a 2011 Fusion that apparently is not part of the investigation. What changed from 2010 to 2011 and why? I would have thought they would be the same.

I have a 2011 Fusion that apparently is not part of the investigation. What changed from 2010 to 2011 and why? I would have thought they would be the same.

The mat retention button/fastener design was modified starting with MY 2010, Job 3 Fusions and Milans. The newer design incorporates dual buttons, whereas earlier MY 2010 models (like my Job 2 2010 Fusion) use a single button.

Edited by aneekr

The retention button/fastener design was modified starting with MY 2010, Job 3 Fusions and Milans. The newer design incorporates dual buttons, whereas earlier MY 2010 models (like my Job 2 2010 Fusion) use a single button.

Ah, I see. I do have the dual button driver's mat. Seems to me the "problem" has nothing to do with the retention system whether it's single or dual button though. Is movement of the mat from side to side on the single retention point part of the problem maybe? If that's the case then I could see this being a true issue.

Edited by baggs32

I beleive Ford has a fix on the way, the car has a non start feature if the mats are not secured properly or stacked to the point where they interfere with what can only be described as something similar to the laser interupt feature on your Garage Door.......

Seems to me the "problem" has nothing to do with the retention system whether it's single or dual button though. Is movement of the mat from side to side on the single retention point part of the problem maybe? If that's the case then I could see this being a true issue.

Good points, baggs32. The driver's side all weather floor mat in my Fusion is secure even with a single retention button; I've never encountered any problems with either side to side movement of the mat, or with the floorplan "heel blocker" lifting the mat.

This Detroit News article states that "Ford introduced new pedals as a running change early in model-year 2010", so that's another variable.

Ultimately, I agree with Ford's position that this upgraded investigation is unwarranted and a waste of time and effort. It only applies to vehicles in which floor mats are not properly installed and secured.

Edited by aneekr

I beleive Ford has a fix on the way, the car has a non start feature if the mats are not secured properly or stacked to the point where they interfere with what can only be described as something similar to the laser interupt feature on your Garage Door.......

You have got to be sh!tting me! Maybe the Mayans were right. If people can't deal with floormats on their own vehicles what on Earth are we doing letting them actually drive! Sad commentary on the nature of people when we have to install a safety feature on the fricking floor board/gas pedal/whatever to insure that it's not going to be bound up.

I'm having a day here at work so end rant! Merry Christmas everybody! See you after the 21st.