Ford Mustang-based rear-drive coupe

• 2 weeks later...

I drove Mercury Cougar XR-7's for years when I was in the entertainment business before going to work for my current dealership where I've managed the new vehicle inventory for nearly 27 years now. I drove Thunderbird's for many years until switching to Mustangs more than 10 years ago as my company vehicle. I'd have no problem with the Lincoln Motor Company producing a new rear wheel drive sports coupe based on the Mustang chassis. I just hope that id Lincoln does so that they make it unique design-wise to LIncoln and use the "Mark" name convention instead of using a variation of the current, idiotic naming convention that Lincoln's been using.

Ford engineered the Ford GT from the ground up. How could Lincoln do any better than that?

I know what you're implying. You want a platform designed exclusively for Lincoln with no compromises for lower cost vehicles. I'm sure Lincoln would LOVE to be able to do that and maybe one day they can, but it would be catastrophically stupid for Lincoln to dump all of their budget into such a vehicle platform when they have 6 or 7 other viable vehicles that need updating and offer higher volume and more profit and an entire dealer network to overhaul.

I owned the last Lincoln platform that was engineered specifically for and by Lincoln (in conjunction with Jaguar). It was a great platform but it was super expensive and ultimately it was killed because it couldn't turn a profit. So Ford has been there, done that, got the t-shirt and they don't need to repeat that mistake right now.

It's really easy to say that a company should spend a billion dollars or more on something you want but it's a lot tougher when your job and the jobs of hundreds of people are on the line.

It worked great for Cadillac with the ATS right? No, what Lincoln really needs is an inhouse designed flagship engineered from the ground up by Lincoln.

:headscratch:

Which side of this are you on? The ATS uses a Cadillac-specific platform (at least currently). You said in the other thread that Lincoln needs more of this. Or do they just need it on flagships? Where do you draw the line? Is it okay to share platforms on cheaper vehicle or no?

:headscratch:

Which side of this are you on? The ATS uses a Cadillac-specific platform (at least currently). You said in the other thread that Lincoln needs more of this. Or do they just need it on flagships? Where do you draw the line? Is it okay to share platforms on cheaper vehicle or no?

So he was wrong about Lexus platforms, Audi platforms and Cadillac platforms? Three strikes?