Titanium Interior Colors other than Black

Fastronaut

I think it is possible, but couldn't they rate separately the Titanium Hybrids instead ?

Toyota does exactly that with the Camry Hybrid LE (43/39) vs XLE (40/38)

It seems to me that the more Hybrids (of any type) sold by a manufacturer mean higher CAFE ratings since any hybrid pretty much ups the average MPG over standard gas engine vehicles ...

My Mustang is black with a black interior. My old Mazda6 was blue with a tan interior. They both reached the same temperature when sitting in the sun all day: HOT. Research disagrees with you. And the reflective properties of asphalt vs concrete do not translate to the same reasons a car's interior reaches its ambient temperature in the sun.

Here's some more anecdotal evidence. I have a black interior, dark blue exterior, I have sunroof that is pertetually cracked open. Results in a much cooler interior. I notice that the termperature is more dependent on if I have the sunroof cracked open or not.

I would think the the surface temperature of the seats may be different, but the ambient temp of the interior would be fairly close as it it s the trapped heat causing the rise, not the reflectivity of the surfaces inside. The heat is trapped, heating air and surfaces, it's too late to reflect it. The surface would only be hotter in direct sun, but that's a suposition.

My Mustang is black with a black interior. My old Mazda6 was blue with a tan interior. They both reached the same temperature when sitting in the sun all day: HOT. Research disagrees with you. And the reflective properties of asphalt vs concrete do not translate to the same reasons a car's interior reaches its ambient temperature in the sun.

I don't think it's so much the temp in the vehicle, but the temp of the seat as you sit on it. I can sit on a light stone color seat after sitting in ths sun with mild discomfort, but sitting on black seat is next to impossible I found anyway. I will give you this...with sedans using such tinted privacy glass now where it's hard to peer into vehicle and see much of anything, it probably does cut down on heat build up somewhat. Of course with convertibles that doesn't matter much with top down. Anyway, choice is good for the customer and dark and light interior choices is a must to my way of thinking. Not eveyone has the same tastes, especially as color choices change in cold climates vs. hot climates where pastel colors rule.

I don't think it's so much the temp in the vehicle, but the temp of the seat as you sit on it. I can sit on a light stone color seat after sitting in ths sun with mild discomfort, but sitting on black seat is next to impossible I found anyway. I will give you this...with sedans using such tinted privacy glass now where it's hard to peer into vehicle and see much of anything, it probably does cut down on heat build up somewhat. Of course with convertibles that doesn't matter much with top down. Anyway, choice is good for the customer and dark and light interior choices is a must to my way of thinking. Not eveyone has the same tastes, especially as color choices change in cold climates vs. hot climates where pastel colors rule.

Ehh...it wasn't comfortable to sit in my Mazda or my Mustang until the A/C had been running for a bit. In fact, they were almost near impossible to drive since the shift knobs (both sticks) would be so damned hot.

I srtill think the black interior across all models for the Ti trim is a branding and cost cutting effort.

That is probably the case.

I appear to be in the minority in actually likeing the charcoal interior.

My 2010 Fusion Hybrid has a black interior and the only problem that I have had with the interior is spotting of the dashboard.

Meguiar's makes a product that keeps it under control so a little elbow grease every so often takes care of it.

I srtill think the black interior across all models for the Ti trim is a branding and cost cutting effort.

Sad to say, but I agree. Every year these auto company bean counters come up with another way to make getting the vehicle you want more difficult. Again, I was looking at 2011 Fusion SEL V6 other day in candy apple red exterior and light stone interior. Very appealing color combination, especially with another summer coming up. All the bells and whistles and very low miles. I guess fine used cars are the answer to the bean counters.

I ordered a FFH SE with most all of the options. I would have ordered the Ti if I could have had the Dune interior. Doesn't make sense for them to limit the choices. Bad marketing in my opinion.

Edited by gl419

Bad marketing in my opinion.

You're assuming that they want to sell more Titaniums. That may not be the case in which case it is brilliant marketing.

Sometimes manufacturers have to limit sales of specific features or models due to parts shortages or CAFE compliance.

• 3 weeks later...

They just need to send someone who can make decisions to Palm Springs CA in the summer and make them drive a FFH for a weeek with that black leather.

They will change their mind quick. 110 is a normal day, going much higher on hot days.

Will practically melt those seats!!!

I originally thought "How can they do black?" I preferred Dune. When I finally saw the black, it was more like a deep grey, not as bad as I thought. I've had light leather too. In hot weather, you just have to let any leather cool down a bit. Not defending the single color choice, but just saying leather comes with baggage.

Companies today are not into customer support nor do they really care what we want. It is all about bottom line. I went through 4 dealers before I found one that knew anything about their product and was willing to work with me on trying to get what I wanted. Trying to get the style wheel on my Ti was just not allowed (unless you buy a second set from parts and put them on after your car gets to the dealer.) Really??? Now that is a company that cares about customer support. Ford needs to take a lesson from Burger King. Have it your way!!!

Just read that the new 2014 Cadillac CTS will offer 8 different choices of interiors ! Now that's giving the customer what they want. I've always said I can understand possibly having just one choice of color for a "base" model but never can or will understand why Ford doesn't offer the choice on their top of the line Ti. We'll, maybe they'll listen soon their customers prefer having a choice.....I'll probably wait for the CTS.