MyFord Touch 3.5 still crashing

He neglected to tell you that it was 45 degrees in the house while the fridge was plugged in, and they never opened in, so it didn't run at all that night! :)

It was during the summer, actually; the fridge cycled on and off all night.

But I did forget a critical detail that made all the difference. (It wasn't my battery, after all). I'll give a George Hamilton to whoever can guess it.

But I did forget a critical detail that made all the difference. (It wasn't my battery, after all). I'll give a George Hamilton to whoever can guess it.

Deep cycle marine battery from your boat?

Took my '11 MKX into the dealership today to address the Navigation fault and their tests indicate it needs a new APIM. This will be the 3rd APIM in this car. This was my 10th trip to the dealership to deal with MyLincoln Touch problems and updates.

Edited by BORG

You had the car plugged into a trickle charger on someone else's circuit?

Seriously, no clue what the detail is. I give up.

The problem with the internet is that it is very problem centric. 10 people, out of thousands, have a complaint about something, post their issue on 10 websites, and suddenly every single one ever made is a POS. Case in point, EB 3.5L problems. It does not mean the issues are any less important, or that Ford should not fix them. It just means that there needs to be some perspective.

And what this small fraction of a percentage of owners was vocal enough to convince just about every automotive reliability media source in the country to give Ford vastly lower reliability ratings? I get the whole bad news gets more attention idea but in this case I don't think there is any denying that the MFT problems and DCT problems were and are pretty widespread and it's not just a few upset people on the internet.

Edited by BlackHorse
  • Like 1

And what this small fraction of a percentage of owners was vocal enough to convince just about every automotive reliability media source in the country to give Ford vastly lower reliability ratings? I get the whole bad news gets more attention idea but in this case I don't think there is any denying that the MFT problems and DCT problems were and are pretty widespread and it's not just a few upset people on the internet.

She was referring to the F150 3.5L EB probems, not MFT and DCT. MFT problems were widespread and serious initially but now it seems limited to folks with bad APIMs. The software itself is stable.

While we're still talking about MFT, has anyone else experienced an audio on/off button that only works part time? On/off works like a boss through the voice commands, but if the radio was turned off before I turned off the ignition, the radio won't turn back on with the button after I restart the Edg except through the voice command. Yeah, I know: easy solution: just turn the radio all the way down. Still, seems like a glitchy deal. Same deal to some degree trying to change audio channels when you restart the car. It won't let you do it for 60 to 90 seconds (I guess the little processor is doing some self-checks or something?).

Just an update, got my car back yesterday. The problem was not the APIM, but a faulty connection somewhere in the system. They had to disassemble and reassemble everything. This makes sense since the fault occurred intermittently until it finally failed, and why would it be the APIM if only the Navigation (GPS) system was failing? Anyway, hopefully that solves it until I get my next car. I'm sure this will not solve the crash/freezing issue which is rooted in the software.

Update on my situation also....it's been in the shop since monday for the disappearing rear camera guidelines among other things. They started disappearing after the 3.5.1 update. CSM had an attitude when I told her it had to be software related, they pushed the dealer to replace the camera lens, no modules or anything else. As anyone with a technical background knows, the camera is a video input and does not drive the lines in the display, I would beileve it more from the camera module but they tried to say it doesn't have a camera module. Funny I looked it up in a few minutes on fordparts and there is a camera module.

Anyway, as I expected after wasted time and warranty claims, a few drives after the camera was replaced, the guidelines turned themselves off again. Lord help us if the CSM might listen to a customer and check with the IVT engineers before making assumptions. Now we are back at square one.

You would think as atrocious MFT has been with every update breaking something else in the process they would step back and start being more receptive about MFT instead of saying "we have never heard of it before".

Edited by svtenthusiast
  • Like 1

Update on my situation also....it's been in the shop since monday for the disappearing rear camera guidelines among other things. They started disappearing after the 3.5.1 update. CSM had an attitude when I told her it had to be software related, they pushed the dealer to replace the camera lens, no modules or anything else. As anyone with a technical background knows, the camera is a video input and does not drive the lines in the display, I would beileve it more from the camera module but they tried to say it doesn't have a camera module. Funny I looked it up in a few minutes on fordparts and there is a camera module.

Anyway, as I expected after wasted time and warranty claims, a few drives after the camera was replaced, the guidelines turned themselves off again. Lord help us if the CSM might listen to a customer and check with the IVT engineers before making assumptions. Now we are back at square one.

You would think as atrocious MFT has been with every update breaking something else in the process they would step back and start being more receptive about MFT instead of saying "we have never heard of it before".

Thanks for the update, svtenthusiast. Indeed, dealership service departments need to refine processes related to MFT glitches. Especially since defects Ford has heard about before still aren't resolved.

At least your rearview camera image (with guidelines) didn't randomly turn into the MFT system's wallpaper!

MyFord-Touch-problems-camera-thumb-240xa

Edited by aneekr
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

FYI, I got a few customers that I am trying to help with 3.5.1 and I have came across some info that may be help to others.

Ford is aware of back up camera issues while an incoming call is received. They are working on that.

Issues with black screen or lock ups have been caused by compatibility issues with a connected device to the media hud or SD card.

If you are still having issues with reboots or lock ups, help diag the concern by removing devices from media hub and see if problem persists, including SD cards.

That may help the technicians isolate your problem.

I know customers are upset and trust me, as technicians, we are too. It is not that we don't want to repair your car. We, at dealership level, can only so much.

Any more information you can provide will really help us help you.

If I find any new info, I will post it.

• Like 2

I know customers are upset and trust me, as technicians, we are too. It is not that we don't want to repair your car. We, at dealership level, can only so much.

So true, tough spot the dealers are in becuase they have to take the brunt of this being the "face" of Ford. Thanks for your transparancy and information.