Progress on Orders for Fusion Energi and Hybrid Titanium

taylorjd

Just a few random thoughts to share about this message thread in particular about all the enthusiasts that have joined BON over the years and contribute so much in the questions asked and information provided.

I've managed the new vehicle inventory for 26 of the 27 years I've been here after spending a number of years in the entertainment business. I'm sometimes amused yet often frustrated when I read of the problems so many Ford enthusiasts have in getting even basic, or correct, information from their local dealers about the status of their factory retail orders. Among the general comments...

• My Dealer never calls me with updated information on my factory order
  • When I call my Sales Representative, he doesn't know anything about my order status
  • The Sales Manager doesn't know where you're getting your information when you seem to know more than he/she does. That's after you contacted the Sales Manager because you couldn't get answers from the Sales Representative that sold you the car!
  • No one at the Dealership is familiar with what you're calling the "Vehicle Visibility" report

The above experiences are just the first of many that frustrate me to no end as it's so different from the way my Dealership operates as I'll outline below. Our Dealership has a daily, morning managers meeting where all department managers are assembled to review every sale including financing status, vehicle status, additional work that the vehicle requires, delivery destination and transportation arrangements if appropriate, etc. Each manager gets a copy of the daily "Morning Sheet" that shows every vehicle sold but not delivered with the following information...

• Deal Date
  • Customer Name
  • Stock Number
  • Vehicle Description
  • Deposit Amount
  • Status/Comments Section

The same "Morning" sheet has a section including a list of all the retail and fleet factory orders and their most recent status that is updated on average twice a week. More important is the "Vehicle Visibility" report for all retail and fleet orders that I run every morning, 6 days a week, that is distributed to our General Manager, Sales Manager, Fleet Manager, Finance Manager & Executive Sales Assistant. In addition, I try to talk to the Sales Representatives directly to update them on the status of their customers' retail orders so that they can update their customers accordingly.

At our Dealership, we try to "over communicate" so that everyone is on the same page. We don't always succeed and we're constantly looking for ways to do better. Over the past 5 years several of our direct competitors have gone out of business including one that closed after 75 years. Our service and parts business is about triple what it was a few years ago and our fleet business is probably 10 times what it was a few years ago. Our reward has been winning Ford's President's Award twice in the past 5 years. We're working extra hard this year to get the President's Award back!

Sorry this has been long but wanted to share this information on how my Dealership operates in regard to customer retail orders, etc. I hope that this helps.

Thanks!

• Like 6

Our reward has been winning Ford's President's Award twice in the past 5 years. We're working extra hard this year to get the President's Award back!

Congrats on willing the President's Award! It sounds like you work for one of the better dealers out there :)

Is there any way to find out what awards a specific dealership won, if any (other than going to the dealer and asking them)? Thanks for all the great into you're providing!

OK - Just received more information: RUBY RED METALLIC is in limited supplier status and vehicles won't be able to be built until 4/1/2013.

Another setback in what has been a long journey. Sorry to hear the news about the Ruby Reds. When I first read your report of a delay in schedule, I thought it may have to do with sunroofs on the commodity reports.

All 2013 MY Fusions produced on January 7, 2013 and later are Job #2 vehicles.

Attached is a copy of the 2013 Fusion Pricing & Packaging Information which should help answer all the related questions!

This document (from November 26th, 2012) shows that production for the Hybrid Titanium was supposed to start on January 7th, 2013. This confirms the delays we've had, even if Ford "only said Early 2013".

Just a few random thoughts to share about this message thread in particular about all the enthusiasts that have joined BON over the years and contribute so much in the questions asked and information provided.

I've managed the new vehicle inventory for 26 of the 27 years I've been here after spending a number of years in the entertainment business. I'm sometimes amused yet often frustrated when I read of the problems so many Ford enthusiasts have in getting even basic, or correct, information from their local dealers about the status of their factory retail orders. Among the general comments...

• My Dealer never calls me with updated information on my factory order
  • When I call my Sales Representative, he doesn't know anything about my order status
  • The Sales Manager doesn't know where you're getting your information when you seem to know more than he/she does. That's after you contacted the Sales Manager because you couldn't get answers from the Sales Representative that sold you the car!
  • No one at the Dealership is familiar with what you're calling the "Vehicle Visibility" report

The above experiences are just the first of many that frustrate me to no end as it's so different from the way my Dealership operates as I'll outline below. Our Dealership has a daily, morning managers meeting where all department managers are assembled to review every sale including financing status, vehicle status, additional work that the vehicle requires, delivery destination and transportation arrangements if appropriate, etc. Each manager gets a copy of the daily "Morning Sheet" that shows every vehicle sold but not delivered with the following information...

• Deal Date
  • Customer Name
  • Stock Number
  • Vehicle Description
  • Deposit Amount
  • Status/Comments Section

The same "Morning" sheet has a section including a list of all the retail and fleet factory orders and their most recent status that is updated on average twice a week. More important is the "Vehicle Visibility" report for all retail and fleet orders that I run every morning, 6 days a week, that is distributed to our General Manager, Sales Manager, Fleet Manager, Finance Manager & Executive Sales Assistant. In addition, I try to talk to the Sales Representatives directly to update them on the status of their customers' retail orders so that they can update their customers accordingly.

At our Dealership, we try to "over communicate" so that everyone is on the same page. We don't always succeed and we're constantly looking for ways to do better. Over the past 5 years several of our direct competitors have gone out of business including one that closed after 75 years. Our service and parts business is about triple what it was a few years ago and our fleet business is probably 10 times what it was a few years ago. Our reward has been winning Ford's President's Award twice in the past 5 years. We're working extra hard this year to get the President's Award back!

Sorry this has been long but wanted to share this information on how my Dealership operates in regard to customer retail orders, etc. I hope that this helps.

Thanks!

I do not understand why all dealers or at least most of them don't adhere to the type of communication structure and training you give to your managers!! You are to be congratulated, wish I had such a responsive dealer nearby !

As a side note I have a local small Ford dealer within 5 miles from were I now live, I previously lived in the Dallas-Ft worth area and was used to folks who are familiar with Hybrids ( I now have 2, an Accord and a Prius)

Went to local dealer to drive a 2012 Fusion Hybrid, the Sales Manager said we don't stock them, they do not work with our type of driving (medium size town). Ok so I found a dealer 35 miles away who stocked the Hybrid and drove one,

Came back to my local dealer and tried to order a 2013 Fusion Hybrid Titanium.

They got my trade in info and said they would call the next day when salesman x was in---no call, I ordered from another other dealer.

By the way the local Toyota and Hyundai dealers do a bang up Hybrid business!! Ford really needs to take these small dealers to task, They are missing a lot of sales.

Edited by chuckokie36
  • Like 1

ice-capades - thanks for sharing. I've found a dealer just North of Dallas that seems to have that kind of customer focus as well and it is a breath of fresh air.

I'm curious though - how many of your sales are customers which custom order a car vs buy off the lot? While what you do is great and really is what I expect from someone where I custom order a car, isn't it probably fact the number of custom orders is a very small percentage of the total number of sales in a given year? I'm with everyone else here - I want up to the minute updates, but I'm wondering does the old 80/20 rule apply. You are spending 80% of your time trying to satisfy a smaller than 20% number of your customers - the ones that custom order.

ice-capades - thanks for sharing. I've found a dealer just North of Dallas that seems to have that kind of customer focus as well and it is a breath of fresh air.

I'm curious though - how many of your sales are customers which custom order a car vs buy off the lot? While what you do is great and really is what I expect from someone where I custom order a car, isn't it probably fact the number of custom orders is a very small percentage of the total number of sales in a given year? I'm with everyone else here - I want up to the minute updates, but I'm wondering does the old 80/20 rule apply. You are spending 80% of your time trying to satisfy a smaller than 20% number of your customers - the ones that custom order.

gdn - I'm unable to reply to your message as I haven't accumulated enough posts yet for that privilege. To answer your question, I have been working with Prestige Ford in Garland. I've not really had any issues other than my HyTi order still being "unscheduled clean" while everyone else seems to be getting build weeks and VINs. I guess I can attribute that to an allocation issue for this dealer.

Just today I have contacted their sister dealership, Park Cities Ford, and am talking to them about possibly changing to an Energi Ti that they expect to have on lot any time now. I hope to work it out soon and possibly be in my new Fusion this month.

gdn - I'm unable to reply to your message as I haven't accumulated enough posts yet for that privilege. To answer your question, I have been working with Prestige Ford in Garland. I've not really had any issues other than my HyTi order still being "unscheduled clean" while everyone else seems to be getting build weeks and VINs. I guess I can attribute that to an allocation issue for this dealer.

Just today I have contacted their sister dealership, Park Cities Ford, and am talking to them about possibly changing to an Energi Ti that they expect to have on lot any time now. I hope to work it out soon and possibly be in my new Fusion this month.

Thanks for the update. I went through 2 bad dealerships before being directed to Bob Tomes in McKinney. Didn't want to drive the 15 miles up there with 2 others literally within a couple of miles, but it has been very well worth it so far.

I do not understand why all dealers or at least most of them don't adhere to the type of communication structure and training you give to your managers!! You are to be congratulated, wish I had such a responsive dealer nearby !

As a side note I have a local small Ford dealer within 5 miles from were I now live, I previously lived in the Dallas-Ft worth area and was used to folks who are familiar with Hybrids ( I now have 2, an Accord and a Prius)

Went to local dealer to drive a 2012 Fusion Hybrid, the Sales Manager said we don't stock them, they do not work with our type of driving (medium size town). Ok so I found a dealer 35 miles away who stocked the Hybrid and drove one,

Came back to my local dealer and tried to order a 2013 Fusion Hybrid Titanium.

They got my trade in info and said they would call the next day when salesman x was in---no call, I ordered from another other dealer.

By the way the local Toyota and Hyundai dealers do a bang up Hybrid business!! Ford really needs to take these small dealers to task, They are missing a lot of sales.

This is sad to read. My dealer, who is small in facility but cranks out a lot of sales, is simply outstanding. Because they don't have a tone of space for stock, they love to have you order. They haven't even made me, even the first car I bought, put down a deposit. We (family) are on our fourth car from them in the past three years with this latest order, and three of the four have been ordered.

It is too bad you didn't get a good response from that small dealer. When the are run properly, they are really shining stars because you don't get lost in the shuffle of the mega-dealer.

So, ice-capades (or anyone else that Manages at a Ford dealership), do you have any suggestions as to how I can go about getting my car on a rail car from Hermosillo to Tucson? My car was produced on 2/7/13 and, as far as I know, there are no quality issues with it. But it still sits and waits...and has for 5 weeks now.

My salesman has been extremely helpful and has absolutely no problems giving me updates a couple of times a week but seems helpless, in this circumstance, and can only thank me for my patience. And Ford Service directed me to another dealer to buy a different car.

Do you, or anyone else, know anyone at Ford who has the clout to move a car off of Mexican soil and onto a rail car headed north?

Hello I'm new to this forum and my Hybrid Titanium order will be placed tomorrow morning. Just looking over some posts and it worries me to see all the delays. My dealer gave me an estimated 8-10 weeks, but it doesn't seem likely :(

Welcome to the Forum, it is a great bunch. At this point, I think 8-10 weeks is a fair guess, but those watching the HyTis may have a better sense then me.

Donlen fleet site reports:

2013 Ford Fusion /

Fusion Hybrid

10-12 week lead time

1.6L Engine may increase lead time by 4 weeks or more

Array 204B may increase lead time by 2-4 weeks

Fusion Hybrid orders may increase lead time by 4 weeks or more

Ginger Ale paint has been discontinued and is no longer available to order

Power Seats (205B, 400A) may increase lead time by 2-4 week

18" Wheels (98Y) with Summer Tires (T7L) will have late availability starting 4/29/13

Looks like 8-10 is optimistic for a HyTi.

Once production ramps up and an quality holds, etc. are clear, the time should be closer to 8 weeks. From what everyone is saying/reading/posting, it looks like production is really ramping up next week.

I big tell will be if those of you on here with 3-18 and 3-25 build starts get stickers produced soon. From my previous two orders, my experience is that the sticker going live is just a couple of days before your car begins being built.

12 weeks for me puts me to the end of May. I also agree that a realistic delivery of an ordered MY14 is more like early September than late August. That being said, I am OK with my wait so far. If something happens and it falls apart time wise, I will suck it up and go with 14. To me, it is all just more time to put pennies in my cookie jar. :)

Very nice! Hopefully production will ramp up to full speed.

I am also interested to hear what little tweaks these cars show up with from Job 2 work. I.e. no more sport pedals, different buttons, as well as build quality, that I am sure has been addressed from the very early Fusions. There were a lot of reviews whining about poor door/trunk alignment, etc.

I see that one and http://www.inventory.ford.com/services/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=3FA6P0RUXDR277388"]3FA6P0RUXDR277388[/url]. I updated the table. Anymore?

Still no window sticker for my 3/18 build VIN, either.

The two HyTi's that have window stickers do not have sunroofs? Is this related to the sunroof being listed as a commodity problem?

Edited by Former Expedition owner

Hello I'm new to this forum and my Hybrid Titanium order will be placed tomorrow morning. Just looking over some posts and it worries me to see all the delays. My dealer gave me an estimated 8-10 weeks, but it doesn't seem likely :(

It is possible.. MIne seems to be the only one sticking to schedule. (knock on wood)

Still no window sticker for my 3/18 build VIN, either. The two HyTi's that have window stickers do not have sunroofs? Is this related to the sunroof being listed as a commodity problem?

The ones that i have pulled up from the list DO have sunroofs / moonroofs.

Edit one of them does. There are a total of 3 so far that have stickers.

Edited by captinkirk