New Mondeo caught testing in Tallinn

I have a Focus hatchback, Fusion hatch or wagon would be an obvious next step for me, I'd be all over that. Hybrid Fusion Wagon = sex.

It would be great to see a Fusion S/W and Hatch in the USA, especially with Flat Rock coming on stream.

Two years ago it would have been a risky venture but with a resurgent North American market ,

I think Ford could pick up one or both to add that all important incremental value..

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Odds of a Fusion hatch or wagon, or even a Focus wagon in the US are about nil. AMong several reasons:

They would compete with CUVs, which supposedly have better margins.

The new CAFE standards favor CUVs and SUVs over traditional cars. A CUV has more leeway than a car in the form of a station wagon.

With that said, I would prefer a wagon myself. The Fusion wagon pictured earlier has a more elegant, balanced look than any Ford CUV other than the Flex. The wagon looks "complete" where a CUV, such as the Edge just looks like the designers just lost interest after the rear doors - it looks stubby. And I do not want to single out the Edge, because to me the vast majority of CUVs look cut off or stubby in the rear - sort of Gremlinesque (Yea, I am dating myself). The only current CUVs that do not have the stubby look in the rear are the new Escape and the Flex.

They would compete with CUVs, which supposedly have better margins.

The new CAFE standards favor CUVs and SUVs over traditional cars. A CUV has more leeway than a car in the form of a station wagon.

I think you might be wrong about that...I know the PT Cruiser (more or less a station wagon) was counted as a truck instead of a passenger vehicle when it came to the EPA ratings.

As for margins...if the Station wagon and Hatchbacks can pay their own way in sales numbers, I don't see an issue with offering them.

I think you might be wrong about that...I know the PT Cruiser (more or less a station wagon) was counted as a truck instead of a passenger vehicle when it came to the EPA ratings.

It was specifically configured as a truck type vehicle just for that reason. But that was under the old rules. The recent rules are stricter on vehicles designated as cars than on vehicles designated as CUVs/SUVs. There have been several articles published on this - it is one of the reasons that Volve dropped wagons but kept the XC models. The XCs are catagorized as CUVs and have a more generous CAFE requirement.

I think the chance of US seeing the hatch eventually are quite good if Ford decides to export Mondeo from NAFTA zone to Europe. That means they will have to make the car here so they might as well sell it here. But if Ford sticks with the plan to make the Mondeo in Spain, then we probably won't see it.

But if Ford sticks with the plan to make the Mondeo in Spain, then we probably won't see it.

Ford has begun preparations at Valencia for the new Mondeo, S-Max and Galaxy models.

I read today that Ford announced the current Mondeo will end production at Genk October 2014, S-Max & Galaxy December 2014.

Also announced today Ford will make a number of adjustments to the current Mondeo, S-Max & Galaxy to stimulate sales with some optimizations, which include other engines, design accents and option packages. They have an incentive to build another 123,000 cars per year to sell and produce in Genk.

As stated on the previous page, I'm talking about Australia here, not the U.S. Every month FoA sales are less and less, and there's nothing more to blame than de-contented, overpriced products and horrendous marketing.

You never stated that and 2.9% finance was a huge success. Falcon and Territory sales were low because there was precious little 2012 stock around.

The plant didn't restart until mid January and most '13 plates didn't arrive at dealerships until early last week. We must remember that Broadmeadows

production is now limited to just over 3,000 vehicles a month and in a full month, they will only produce about 1400 each of Falcon and Territory and

about 400 Utes. So with low stock levels and huge emphasis on Focus, something had to give..

Edited by jpd80

You never stated that and 2.9% finance was a huge success. Falcon and Territory sales were low because there was precious little 2012 stock around.

The plant didn't restart until mid January and most '13 plates didn't arrive at dealerships until early last week. We must remember that Broadmeadows

production is now limited to just over 3,000 vehicles a month and in a full month, they will only produce about 1400 each of Falcon and Territory and

about 400 Utes. So with low stock levels and huge emphasis on Focus, something had to give..

I didn't say I stated it, pictor did. Besides, it's not as if my original comment was double-Dutch-Chinese, surely it's obvious that I was referring to "here" (Australia).

Sales outside of the top 10 are a huge success for a campaign these days?! Blimey, things are grim!

I only have access to the limited data that is posted here and on other forums - which 9/10 times is just the top 10. Every now and then a Ford model is in the bottom few - but rarely have I seen a stable position as other manufacturers seem to be able to replicate. If you could provide data that shows FoA sales aren't declining or flat-lining, that'd be helpful, but in the meantime there's little evidence for me to see the situation in any other way.

"We must remember...." The production capacity of plants and import numbers aren't really common knowledge, are they?

If you could provide data that shows FoA sales aren't declining or flat-lining, that'd be helpful, but in the meantime there's little evidence for me to see the situation in any other way.

January 2013 Vs Jan 2012

Territory up 44% (1150 something Vs 808)

Falcon down 16% (780 Vs 931)

Focus up 50%

Fiesta up 43%

Ranger up 208%

by the numbers, I'd say FoA's total sales were up significantly compared to a year ago.

Edited by jpd80

As stated on the previous page, I'm talking about Australia here, not the U.S. Every month FoA sales are less and less, and there's nothing more to blame than de-contented, overpriced products and horrendous marketing.

not to be picky, but editing to add that fact at 12.02 am doesnt negate my comment, but now that the words in Australia have been added, it completely changes the subjects parameters.....

not to be picky, but editing to add that fact at 12.02 am doesnt negate my comment, but now that the words in Australia have been added, it completely changes the subjects parameters.....

Hi Deanh, how are hybrid sales in your neck of the woods?

I'd imagine California buyers are still supporting hybrid fusions and C-max and although figures

dropped a bit last month., tht would be dure to sales drop off from North Eastern states?