Ten most obnoxious car options ever:

I like how they pick out Ford for using Limited, when all sorts of carmakers use limted.

They didn't pick out Ford; they didn't specify Ford on that one, and they did mention that Jeep and (possibly) Buick have used it.

That said, it's Jalopnik. Meh.

Edited by SoonerLS
  • Like 2

I don't get the hate for Eddie Bauer editions...Ford sold a ton of them over the years...and they wheren't all green...they all had beige bottoms on them! :p

When I think 1990s, I think green Eddie Bauer Explorers, Pearl Jam, flannels, and combat boots.

I don't get the hate for Eddie Bauer editions...Ford sold a ton of them over the years...and they wheren't all green...they all had beige bottoms on them! :p

There was nothing whatsoever wrong with the Eddie Bauer editions; they sold well and there was a good brand connection.

Jalopnik forgot to mention my favorite. My sister-in-law's high series G20. It was, in fact, an Infinity Limited. Which of course I would remind her of everytime we visited.

• Like 2

There was nothing whatsoever wrong with the Eddie Bauer editions; they sold well and there was a good brand connection.

Jalopnik forgot to mention my favorite. My sister-in-law's high series G20. It was, in fact, an Infinity Limited. Which of course I would remind her of everytime we visited.

my only issue with the Eddie Bauers was there didnt seem to be a square inch without his name scrawled somewhere....subtlety wasnt part of the package........

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="BORG" data-cid="830310" data-time="1360176729">When I think 1990s, I think green Eddie Bauer Explorers, Pearl Jam, flannels, and combat boots. </blockquote>

<p>The EB Explorer was the folks, the flannels were from used clothing stores and the boots were already issued ;). The only thing I owned was the CD.</p>

Edited by Hugh
  • Like 1

my only issue with the Eddie Bauers was there didnt seem to be a square inch without his name scrawled somewhere....subtlety wasnt part of the package........

Oddly enough the parents had a 02 EB Explorer and I don't even remember seeing the name stitched on the seats like on earlier models

I have a 2008 Explorer EB in Dark Metallic Burgundy with the Arizona Beige trim, leather interior etc...I still get many compliments on the truck. It is a handsome vehicle for its time and ages well.

That being said, the new Explorer Sport is much more modern looking and black interiors are much nicer than beige.

And by the way, the newer Eddie Bauer 'First Ascent' mountain and outdoor clothing line is outstanding!!

Edited by Kev-Mo

Well for the most part, IMO, things where better back then....at least we had good music vs the crap that is out there today ;)

Y'know, the late 80's got a bad rap for the Billboard now retro stuff. The 90's was a hangover at least for me musically and scholastically. I remember seeing my first EB Explorer at the Ottawa International Auto Show. Compared to the Bronco II and the minivans out there, I really believed this would be a game changer. It was a pretty sweet ride for what is was.

I have a 2008 Explorer EB in Dark Metallic Burgundy with the Arizona Beige trim, leather interior etc...I still get many compliments on the truck. It is a handsome vehicle for its time and ages well.

That being said, the new Explorer Sport is much more modern looking and black interiors are much nicer than beige.

And by the way, the newer Eddie Bauer 'First Ascent' mountain and outdoor clothing line is outstanding!!

Sorry, the EB clothing store here screams 'Past 40!' I'm not there yet or care to admit it. ;)

And now some electronic eye-wash to rinse out the 70s from those Lincoln designer editions:

cat.jpg?w=680

Of course, cats looked like this in the 70s too. And in the 50s, and the 1800s. They are as Saul Bellow said of dogs, "always living in the same age, the same at Charlemagne's feet as on a Missouri scow or in a Chicago junkyard."

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 5

Hey Richard...There is absolutely nothing wrong with that Midnight Blue color on those old Mark V Lincoln's (1979 Collector's Series Town Cars...etc.)at all. In fact, I'm personally considering repainting one of my '98-'02 generation Town Cars that color anyway.

Day or night that color stands out. I'm just sick and tired of seeing the same mix and crappy shades of color on any of these newer cars period.

Hell, I'm even considering the Moonlight Blue that was also used in the mid to late 90's... I ought to know. My 98 F-150 bought now was that color.

Oh, it's not the color of the exterior.

It's the wedding-cake excess of fakery.

The opera windows, coachlights and spare tire bulges are all ornamental, the wood is fake, the vinyl roof is fake, the spoke wheels are fake, the Cartier clock isn't, the velour is polyester, not cotton, the button tufted upholstery that was necessary in the 1800s when chairs were stuffed with horsehair.

I mean, it's the perfect vehicle to pull up in front of a faux medieval restaurant with cultured stone out front, and fake antique lighting with light bulbs that flicker like candles, where you can wear your faux wool suit and your faux silk tie (both made from petroleum), and the restaurant, of course, is named after a person who either doesn't exist or who has nothing to do with the restaurant. And the fakery reaches an even greater level if the restaurant's name has a word in it that doesn't even exist (classic example: "Bobby McGee's Conglomeration")

http://www.lileks.com/match/gallery/227.html

bobbymcgee.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry, the EB clothing store here screams 'Past 40!' I'm not there yet or care to admit it. ;)

Or, you don't spend much time above the tree line in winter ;) - The Eddie Bauer 'First Ascent' line is modern, stylish, and highly functional - as good as anything out there. Like Ford, Eddie Bauer has done a real nice job re-inventing itself!!

http://www.eddiebauer.com/EB/First-Ascent/Mens-First-Ascent/Jackets--Vest/index.cat

• Like 1