Ford Fusion cabin air filter....WOW!

Ok BON'ers...here is a service tip from a new "convert" to annual changing of the cabin air filter in your car. My HVAC blower motor was making a chirping sound so I replaced it. I was past the 3/36 bumper to bumper part of my warranty, so I did it myself. $35 dollars for a new fan assembly (included shipping) and I had it changed out in about ten minutes in my 2012 Fusion SEL. when I took the old one out, I noticed that the squirrel cage had a very minor amount of dust on the fins, so I figured while I was there, might just as well replace the cabin air filter. This car went into service on 10/20/2011 and I thought I was ok even though I have 45K on the clock....boy was I wrong!! See the picture for yourself. Old one is on the left, new WIX filter (#24367) on the right. My price for the filter? $8.95 + tax....all I can say is WOW!!!!

Took a total of 5 more minutes to change the filter....

11721_4861108561443_1215844893_n.jpg

• Like 1

Twintornados, I've got the same chirping sound on 2010 Mercury Milan where did you buy the replacement HVAC blower motor from? I changed the cabin filter about 3 months ago and it looked about the same if not a little worse.

-WxDan

Still plenty available...I did a lot of research and this is a good deal....The assembly is held in by three 6mm socket size screws....damn near the easiest repair I have done.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350694347585?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Edited by twintornados
  • Like 1

i go to amazon and usually get 2 filters for $12. It takes 5 min for the wifes Edge. Dealer tries to get $75 for it LOL. I still can't believe a $45k truck doesn't have one. I wouldn't expect all f150's to have them, just the upper models (FX4, Limited, HD, Plat).

Already picked one up for the girlfriends 2010 Escape, hers is getting changed tonight when she gets home from work!

I opened up the area where the filter supposed to be, there was no filter there. Apparently it got missed on the assembly line?? Anyhow, there is one in there now...

I opened up the area where the filter supposed to be, there was no filter there. Apparently it got missed on the assembly line?? Anyhow, there is one in there now...

If, when your vehicle was sold, the Cabin Air Filter was listed only on the higher-trim models, that probably means there's a place to put the filter, but no filter there. That's how my (non-Ford) car came.

Why? Were you ok breathing unfiltered air when you walked to and from your car? Like Deanh said I breathe just fine riding my motorcycles.

This is a silly statement and I suspect you know it. And if you don't know why it's silly, just think about it for a moment--the difference between sitting in my home or office and sitting in my car in traffic either behind tons of other cars in traffic or with other cars at high speed. If you still can't figure it out, then I guess I can't help you.

I reviewed my car's owner's manual online and it makes an oblique mention to a cabin filter but nothing directly (i.e. "Changing cabin/passenger compartment filter (if equipped)") so I guess no trim line had it in 09 and if mine didn't, none of them did. Kind of surprising.

This is a silly statement and I suspect you know it. And if you don't know why it's silly, just think about it for a moment--the difference between sitting in my home or office and sitting in my car in traffic either behind tons of other cars in traffic or with other cars at high speed. If you still can't figure it out, then I guess I can't help you.

Hey genius it's just a particle filter it doesn't stop exhaust gas from entering your car.

If you are stuck in traffic press the recirculate button to prevent outside fumes from being drawn into the vehicle. You would have known that if you read your owners manual. By the way, those people who didn't know their vehicle was equipped with a cabin filter should read their manual and replace it at the specified maintenance intervals. Still not sure? Then ask your dealer service dept. We are following the manufacturer's maintenance recommendations aren't we?

None of my vehicles have a cabin air filter including my '06 F150, how have I managed to live so long?

edit: Yes, original post was tounge-in-cheek.

Edited by F250