Lincoln version of the Explorer?

newworld

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Yes, the Lincoln version of the Ford Explorer was the Lincoln Aviator. I was seriously considering buying one in 2002 when a Ford dealer salesman told me, flatly, "You don't want one. They've got problems." I grant you, this was a Ford dealer salesman, not a Lincoln dealer salesman, telling me this, but I ended up buying a 2002 Explorer, Eddie Bauer version, that I really, really liked and that served me very well until i sold it in 2007 to buy my first Lincoln (an MKZ).

Wasn't that the Lincoln Aviator? That didn't do so great...it would have to differentiate itself much more from the Explorer to be viable in the market.

Well, the differentiation goes without saying. That's true of the entire Lincoln brand at this point. We should look toward the production MKC unveil for what kind of differentiation we should really start to expect moving forward. MKZ was a start, but MKC looks to be taking it another step further. I would expect nothing short of that for a Lincoln-ized Explorer, which the Aviator definitely did not accomplish.

• Like 1

Yes, the Lincoln version of the Ford Explorer was the Lincoln Aviator. I was seriously considering buying one in 2002 when a Ford dealer salesman told me, flatly, "You don't want one. They've got problems." I grant you, this was a Ford dealer salesman, not a Lincoln dealer salesman, telling me this, but I ended up buying a 2002 Explorer, Eddie Bauer version, that I really, really liked and that served me very well until i sold it in 2007 to buy my first Lincoln (an MKZ).

Wish I'd taken that advice. We bought a 2003 (great deal - leftover model with X plan). They replaced the head under warranty along with a lot of other issues. We got rid of it as soon as the warranty expired. Only really bad vehicle we ever had that we bought new. There is a reason it was discontinued.

Makes me wonder why the 4.6 DOHC in the Aviator was so problematic. You never really heard any issues about them reliability-wise in other models that used a nearly identical engine: Cobra, Mach 1, Marauder, Continental.

Au contraire mon ami. The Cobra most certainly did have the same problem with cooling in #8 cylinder - that's where I heard about it first before the Aviator. It was a design flaw of the 4V DOHC heads. I don't think the others sold enough vehicles for it to be widely reported like the Cobra and Aviator or it was only on the later generation.

Au contraire mon ami. The Cobra most certainly did have the same problem with cooling in #8 cylinder - that's where I heard about it first before the Aviator. It was a design flaw of the 4V DOHC heads. I don't think the others sold enough vehicles for it to be widely reported like the Cobra and Aviator or it was only on the later generation.

As a long-time member on the SVT Performance forums and member of an active Cobra club, I haven't heard of any widespread cooling issues on them, at least not nearly to the point where it appeared on the Aviator. :shrug:

Edited by NickF1011

I keep reading all the messages on the BON Forums about the Explorer and Taurus moving to a new platform but I'm not convinced that it's going to happen so soon especially as Ford invested a lot of engineering dollars for the Police Interceptor versions. Plus, the current Taurus/Explorer series get about 25% better fuel economy than the previous models. Further, Explorer retail sales took off again this year and they're in short supply until dealers can rebuild stock inventory again which will take some time.

As for the ongoing Lincoln discussion, a Ford service representative was at our store last week and he was driving a new Lincoln MKZ. It wasn't parked in a good spot for viewing and wasn't really clean. My initial reaction was that of being unimpressed compared to what Ford accomplished with the all-new 2013 Fusion series. My conversation with the Ford representative driving the Lincoln MKZ started with my gut reaction to seeing the all-new MKZ in person and then about Lincoln's long and continued promises about all the new Lincoln product to be introduced. Ford and Lincoln have been talking for years now about all the new Lincoln product to be launched but they're being released at a snail's pace. Ford/Lincoln has still not announced a timetable for the Lincoln MKC model that was unveiled some time ago now.

I really hope it's now true but it's looking more and more like it's "too little, too late" for at least the domestic Lincoln dealers. They and Lincoln need the new product now, not in a few more years. I'll be happy to see Lincoln prove me wrong but glad for now that I don't work for a Lincoln dealer even though Ford has urged our Dealer Principal to talk to the Lincoln store owner near us about buying the Lincoln franchise. My boss has no interest based on Lincoln's performance and the continued delay in the introduction of promised all-new Lincoln models.

I keep reading all the messages on the BON Forums about the Explorer and Taurus moving to a new platform but I'm not convinced that it's going to happen so soon especially as Ford invested a lot of engineering dollars for the Police Interceptor versions. Plus, the current Taurus/Explorer series get about 25% better fuel economy than the previous models. Further, Explorer retail sales took off again this year and they're in short supply until dealers can rebuild stock inventory again which will take some time.

As for the ongoing Lincoln discussion, a Ford service representative was at our store last week and he was driving a new Lincoln MKZ. It wasn't parked in a good spot for viewing and wasn't really clean. My initial reaction was that of being unimpressed compared to what Ford accomplished with the all-new 2013 Fusion series. My conversation with the Ford representative driving the Lincoln MKZ started with my gut reaction to seeing the all-new MKZ in person and then about Lincoln's long and continued promises about all the new Lincoln product to be introduced. Ford and Lincoln have been talking for years now about all the new Lincoln product to be launched but they're being released at a snail's pace. Ford/Lincoln has still not announced a timetable for the Lincoln MKC model that was unveiled some time ago now.

I really hope it's now true but it's looking more and more like it's "too little, too late" for at least the domestic Lincoln dealers. They and Lincoln need the new product now, not in a few more years. I'll be happy to see Lincoln prove me wrong but glad for now that I don't work for a Lincoln dealer even though Ford has urged our Dealer Principal to talk to the Lincoln store owner near us about buying the Lincoln franchise. My boss has no interest based on Lincoln's performance and the continued delay in the introduction of promised all-new Lincoln models.

:headscratch:

Lincoln actually finally had a month of sales that didn't decline and you're going to NOW declare them dead?

And what "continued delay" are you talking about? I mean it's literally been barely over a year now since Ford announced the Lincoln revitalization and you expect them to have a stable full of new vehicles already?

Ford has not officially announced the MKC launch date, but it is widely speculated it will be a very early 2014 launch, which really is just around the corner. New MKX and MKS will follow not long after the MKC, based on early spy photos of new Edge and Taurus mules already popping up here and there.

Other new vehicle launches are simply dependent upon the platforms they are based on:

That leaves only 2 models, really: Lincoln Explorer and/or MKT and new Navigator, which wouldn't be good fits for launch now based on the predicted end-of-life timeframes of the platforms they currently utilize.

But realistically, by the end of 2014, or very early into 2015 you'll at the very least likely be looking at 4 all-new models in MKZ, MKC, MKS, and MKX.

As a long-time member on the SVT Performance forums and member of an active Cobra club, I haven't heard of any widespread cooling issues on them, at least not nearly to the point where it appeared on the Aviator. :shrug:

Apparently it was just the 03-04 Cobra models and it only affected a percentage of them. I'm sure they sold many more Aviators in the same timeframe so it showed up on more of them. There are companies that make kits to fix the cooling problem on the 7 and 8 cylinders so it's definitely a known problem. Supposedly it was fixed in 05.

...But realistically, by the end of 2014, or very early into 2015 you'll at the very least likely be looking at 4 all-new models in MKZ, MKC, MKS, and MKX.

..."too little, too late" for at least the domestic Lincoln dealers. They and Lincoln need the new product now, not in a few more years. I'll be happy to see Lincoln prove me wrong but glad for now that I don't work for a Lincoln dealer even though Ford has urged our Dealer Principal to talk to the Lincoln store owner near us about buying the Lincoln franchise. My boss has no interest based on Lincoln's performance and the continued delay in the introduction of promised all-new Lincoln models.

both great & horrible to see your comments, ice capades

cuz

I feel much the same, darn it.

Really wish I was more certain about the nextgen MKS esp... ...its timeframe ...its platform ...even *IF* it's gonna be/be-called an MKS...

Continental.gif

my main(?) gripe is that Lincoln needs momentum with new vehicles.

I can wait for the MKC but that better be the last year-long+ launch hiatus (think-hope it will be)

re: this year, 2013cy

imho a Navi refresh (of ANY degree) would('ve) been good

cuz&imho2 think the all-new Navi is still 24 months away

Edited by 2b2

re: this year, 2013cy

imho a Navi refresh (of ANY degree) would('ve) been good

cuz&imho2 think the all-new Navi is still 24 months away

Well, there have been Expys with camo running around. There might be a shot for them to at least see new powertrains inside a year or so. If not, you're not talking about more than a few hundred sales a month anyway. In another 7-8 months they'll have the MKC to sell. That alongside the MKZ should be responsible for a good 4/5 of volume for most dealers. If they aren't out of business by then, they should be fine. If they are, well, it stinks, but frankly, Lincoln still needs fewer dealers anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
I think what killed the Aviator was that it was priced very close to the Navigator and it competed with its own sister, the Moutaineer.

It was the same thing that killed the old Explorer - customers moved away from BOF SUVs and moved to crossovers with better NVH, ride, handling and fuel economy.

We moved from the Aviator to an Edge and except for the cooled seats we really didn't miss anything.

It was the same thing that killed the old Explorer - customers moved away from BOF SUVs and moved to crossovers with better NVH, ride, handling and fuel economy.

We moved from the Aviator to an Edge and except for the cooled seats we really didn't miss anything.

I still see an Aviator every now and then and half of the time I see them, they are at a car lot. What made you decide to buy an Aviator over a Primier Mountaineer or a EB or KR Explorer? Just curious because I sometimes wonder if the Aviator didn't exist, if those cutomers would have bought a higher trim Explorer or Moutaineer. Much like if the Milan didn't exist, would those cutomers purchase a Fusion? Mariner / Escape?

Hope you ar enjoying your Edge. I had the chance to drive a 2.0 EB in the Taurus and I thought it moved it well. I'd like to drive and Edge with the 2.0 EB to see how it handles but I would think since the Edge and Taurus are similar in weight, it move it the same. Explorer is nearly 500 lbs more than the two and that has the 2.0 EB in it... yikes.. and that can seat 7.

Since you had a Aviator to an Edge, why not an Aviator to a MKX? Were you not sold on the quality of Lincoln at the time? I like the current MKX but nothing about it would make me purchase one over an Edge.

I still see an Aviator every now and then and half of the time I see them, they are at a car lot. What made you decide to buy an Aviator over a Primier Mountaineer or a EB or KR Explorer? Just curious because I sometimes wonder if the Aviator didn't exist, if those cutomers would have bought a higher trim Explorer or Moutaineer. Much like if the Milan didn't exist, would those cutomers purchase a Fusion? Mariner / Escape?

Well, at least in the case of the Aviator, you were given a powertrain not available in the Mountaineer/Explorer. Wasn't the case in the Milan/Fusion or Mariner/Escape where the similarities were still much closer. The newer Titanium trim levels on Fords pretty much encompass what was previously Mercury.

Well, at least in the case of the Aviator, you were given a powertrain not available in the Mountaineer/Explorer. Wasn't the case in the Milan/Fusion or Mariner/Escape where the similarities were still much closer. The newer Titanium trim levels on Fords pretty much encompass what was previously Mercury.

I'm not sure about the Titanium amounting to what was Mercury... Ford has had the Limited trim for a while which was loaded with goodies. Same thing but a different name for the trim. That was the problem, a fully loaded Fusion was near the same as a fully loaded Milan with little difference.

My experience with Mercury was you got a better equipped model for less money. I had two Mountaineers and they were a far better value than comparably equipped Explorers at the time. I think a big part of it was the aesthetics had a more premium look to them with the use of two-tone colors and metallic finishes. Since the demise of Mercury, Ford has incorporated some of these design elements into their own models.

Basically we liked the unique aviator interior and cooled seats and grille. I actually drove the aviator about a year before it appeared in a focus group and loved it. We probably would have gotten another explorer had it not been available. Never cared for the mountaineer.

When we looked at the 08 mkx we didn't like the styling and it wasn't worth $5k just to get cooled seats.

I suspect she'll wind up with a mkc next - love the styling. I just got a 2013 fusion titanium and couldn't be happier.