New Light & Medium Duty News

Sioux Falls has an odd setup where the first responder for medical emergencies is the fire department, and they usually arrive in a medium duty truck that (IIRC) can haul passengers. However, they usually dispatch an ambulance for transport. I don't think I've ever seen an ambulance on scene before a fire department vehicle. And the ambulances are all class 2/3 cutaways.

Competition aimed at the new F-650?:

http://fleetowner.com/equipment/isuzu-game-changing-new-2018-class-6-medium-duty-tune-population-trends

Isuzu is playing this off as a new generation in class 6 trucks, touting a relatively small displacement but high torque diesel in a class 6 cabover for good maneuverability and visibility. I see their point, this truck ought to appeal to specific urban medium truck users. I don't think Isuzu will be able to match Ford on price, but they might on overall cost-of-ownership as I stated before. I suspect if successful their may be a gasoline option engine soon as well.

Competition aimed at the new F-650?:

http://fleetowner.com/equipment/isuzu-game-changing-new-2018-class-6-medium-duty-tune-population-trends

Isuzu is playing this off as a new generation in class 6 trucks, touting a relatively small displacement but high torque diesel in a class 6 cabover for good maneuverability and visibility. I see their point, this truck ought to appeal to specific urban medium truck users. I don't think Isuzu will be able to match Ford on price, but they might on overall cost-of-ownership as I stated before. I suspect if successful their may be a gasoline option engine soon as well.

5.2L 4 cylinder....whoa....

Check this out. In particular one of the pix shows some sort of Fed disclosure ticket taped to cab that indicates this is a class 8 truck! So we know for sure there is at least one 35,000 lb 750 out there-if not a 37,000!

Now if Kasich can do this with State DOT for a few hundred trucks, we have something! After all, he did early on in the campaign make some noise that he had something to do with the 650/750 coming back to Ohio!

http://www.at.ford.com/news/Plants/Pages/Avon-Lake-Invests-in-OHAP-with-Purchase-of-F-7500219-8330.aspx?PlantName=Ohio%20Assembly

5.2L 4 cylinder....whoa....

Doesn't sound like much, does it? The 5.2L in the current NPR-HD is good for 215 h.p. and 452 lbs. ft.. Isuzu says it will be a bit more in the new FTR, but has not released the exact figures.

Let's put those figures in perspective and compare them to some trucks I drove back in the day:

1983 Ford F-700, Lima 429 4V: 223 h.p., 343 lbs. ft..

1979 Ford F-600, Lima 370 2V: 184 h.p., 302 lbs. ft..

1982 Chevy C-70, 427 4bbl.: 210 h.p., 350 lbs. ft..

1983 Chevy C-70, Detroit 8.2L natural: 160 h.p., 350 lbs. ft..

1982 International S-1700, 392 4 bbl.: 185 h.p., 302 lbs. ft..

The Caterpillar 3208 found in a lot of larger medium duty trucks in those days was usually rated at 210 h.p., 480 lbs. ft..

Ford's vaunted Super Duty 534 made 227 h.p., 432 lbs. ft. in 1981, it's last year.

These were all considered (except for the 370 and the Detroit 'Fuel Squeezer'!) 'big guns' in the late 70's-early 80's. They hauled their max. GCW's at highway speeds no problem. That Isuzu 4 cylinder doesn't look so bad now.

While a Flat-biller out of 909 may need 400 h.p. and 800 lbs. ft. in order to maintain his 'extreme' reputation among his bros (peers) and tow his quads to Glamis, that really is too much for a class 6 medium. All that power does for you is waste fuel.

With CAFE coming for commercial trucks, it does indeed look like Isuzu is ahead of the curve. I hear Freightliner will soon offer a 5L Detroit Diesel based on a Mercedes currently sold in Europe. And let's not forget Cummins' new 5L V-8 diesel in the Nissan Titan. It will be offered in a medium duty configuration.

I would not be surprised if Ford could down-rate the 6.7L Powerstroke and be competitive with these new smaller diesels.

Edited by 7Mary3

Check this out. In particular one of the pix shows some sort of Fed disclosure ticket taped to cab that indicates this is a class 8 truck! So we know for sure there is at least one 35,000 lb 750 out there-if not a 37,000!

Now if Kasich can do this with State DOT for a few hundred trucks, we have something! After all, he did early on in the campaign make some noise that he had something to do with the 650/750 coming back to Ohio!

http://www.at.ford.com/news/Plants/Pages/Avon-Lake-Invests-in-OHAP-with-Purchase-of-F-7500219-8330.aspx?PlantName=Ohio%20Assembly

Many counties and cities in Ohio like single axle dumps that touch the class 8 numbers. It lets them pull a trailer with a good size backhoe with a bed full of stone or dirt. And in many cases it can be fitted with a highway plow and spreader for winter use without exceeding GVWR or front axle rating. Big power is not necessary, but reliability is, as many of these trucks are in service 20+ years. A "muni special" makes sense

Guess it slides in by being 33,000#'s GVW. I still see a Powerstroke/Torqshift powertrain, so I wouldn't read much into it at this time. Why does it have a California Clean Idle sticker on it?

Don't think so-sticker says "Class 8"-that would mean it exceeds 33,000- unless they just put class 8 stickers on everything? As for the "clean California" sticker-seems like every diesel I see running around here has that oval sticker on it.

Latest sales stats from HDT- January. Class 3/4/5, Ram 40.19% Ford 37.8% Ford gained almost 5% from full year 2015.

Class 6, Ford 34.07% vs 26.86% full year! this big gain at everyones collective loss

Class 7, Ford 4.78% full year 4.85% (Dec was 4.24 % so some gain)

In addition nice two page add for 650/750- 750 tractor pulling a single axle beverage trailer-punch line-new cab much quieter environment than old trucks. How about that- no crew cab tractor-they must read our posts! :)

Latest sales stats from HDT- January. Class 3/4/5, Ram 40.19% Ford 37.8% Ford gained almost 5% from full year 2015.

Class 6, Ford 34.07% vs 26.86% full year! this big gain at everyones collective loss

Class 7, Ford 4.78% full year 4.85% (Dec was 4.24 % so some gain)

In addition nice two page add for 650/750- 750 tractor pulling a single axle beverage trailer-punch line-new cab much quieter environment than old trucks. How about that- no crew cab tractor-they must read our posts! :)

Hey Bob, thanks for posting up those sales percentages. :thumbsup:

So I'm wondering where does that leave GM in the lower classes with HD Silverado and Sierra?

Not so many sales or am I reading your percentages for Ford and Ram incorrectly?

John

Edited by jpd80

Further to class 3/4/5- I think the Dodges are a decent truck-in particular with the 6.7 Cummins-but I think one reason they sell as well as they do is they are much more aggressive than Ford with pricing-at least around here. Friend of mine bought a 5500 dump recently- a 3 grand saving over a comparable 550 Power Stroke. Now this was set up with a 3-4 yd body so perhaps Dodge dealer had a good body discount-as always with a grain of salt!

Swung through the local Altech yard this AM. I would bet there were probably 80+/`- 450/550's lined up -mostly 6.7. Perhaps 5 Dodges and maybe 5 class 7 Internationals /Fliners. Also one class 8 International -tandem bucket ready for shipment-big $$

I check this yard from time to time and have never seen so many units awaiting installs-and certainly never such a high ratio of Fords to everything else. Perhaps the 6.7 is proving itself and increasing fleet confidence in it.

Swung through the local Altech yard this AM. I would bet there were probably 80+/`- 450/550's lined up -mostly 6.7. Perhaps 5 Dodges and maybe 5 class 7 Internationals /Fliners. Also one class 8 International -tandem bucket ready for shipment-big $$

I check this yard from time to time and have never seen so many units awaiting installs-and certainly never such a high ratio of Fords to everything else. Perhaps the 6.7 is proving itself and increasing fleet confidence in it.

One of those buckets might be headed for us here. Its replacing an 07 F550 with a 6.0. Haven't had a lick of trouble with it other than a FICM. Its been a good truck. (First dually I've ever seen do a burnout)

I think Dodge can really undercut Ford and GM on price since their trucks aren't assembled in the US. I don't know what they pay their workers but I imagine there is quite a difference.

Other than anecdotally, I haven't experienced anything bad about the 6.7 PS. Maybe those here can share some of their experiences if they have had any. I have heard issues with turbos grenading at around 100,000 to 150,000 miles, heads cracking, burning up valves in the rear pistons, blah blah blah. Is there any truth to that being an epidemic or is it just Ford bashing?

Even with the C channel frame, I believe Ford builds the best truck money can buy right now. The engines seem pretty solid, the Torqueshifts are incredibly trouble free and smooth, and the trucks themselves seem to hold up better than other trucks in our fleet.

I saw a new F-650 UHaul last week. They are a good looking truck, I hope they work out well for Ford. On the same trip I saw two of the new 2017 Super Duties heavily covered in dust being trailered east down I80 between Kearney and North Platte Nebraska. Any idea what they would be doing out here? I almost flipped the car when I saw them. The person I was with thought I was having a stroke.

On the same trip I saw two of the new 2017 Super Duties heavily covered in dust being trailered east down I80 between Kearney and North Platte Nebraska. Any idea what they would be doing out here?

You know, if Ford wanted to test those things in secret, the Sandhills would be about the perfect spot. Ain't nobody around there at all.

Not that I think Ford was doing secret testing on trucks that have already been revealed.

Stopped to visit a friend who has a UHaul franchise at his business - I had to look twice, there was a Ram Promaster on the line. First one I ever saw as a UHaul.

That is a first-at least around here (Mass.) Transits rule- they do have a lot of new GMC Pick ups- and the 650's are at many locations.

all the write ups on the Ram Promasters that I have read say they don't even come close.. Talked to a fork lift service tech the other day who had a transit (gas job) that replaced his Sprinter and he could not say enough good things about it.

Finally saw an ad in Truck 'n' Trailer (TNT) for some 2016 Mediums. Here's one: Another was a crew cab F650 landscape truck.

TruckPaper.com | 2016 FORD F750 XLT For Sale

Interesting spec- 13,200 ft axle (didn't know such a thing existed and 23 rear-yet a 33,000 plate. Also this dealer (Battlefield) always seems to have these 750's with oversized bodies. You would never be able to load such a long body with typical construction aggregate/sand/asphalt and keep it under 33,000 lbs. Also note the engine..."Cummins" their ad person should update his file from 2015's!

• Like 1

Recently saw something about a company called Alkane assembling a class 7 cabover with the PSI 8.8 liter V8 set up for propane, and a Chinese cab and chassis. It is said to be targeted at the propane delivery market. This is new to me, but the 8.8 engine has decent specs, 270 hp and 565 lb-ft.