What can you say? If I can get a car I view as equivalent for $500 less, I'm going elsewhere. Why wouldn't I?

What's the smallest increment in car price that you think deserves consideration? $1000? $5000?

unless theres a HUGE difference I research and get what I want, I dont let "programs" influence the outcome, i would rather spend a tad more and get what I want than forever look back and wish I had stepped up a little...then again i enjoy my cars, it would be different if I veiwed them as purely an appliance, then I would get the chaepest POS I could....

Because it makes very little difference in month to month car payments...

Well again, assuming two cars you consider equally good (and would have no regret buying one over the other at the same price): You're at the dealership for car A right now - how much more per month can dealer A charge before you feel it is worth your time to drive to dealer B? $10? $20? $50?

Given those assumptions (which may or may not be valid for the original poster), I'd say "not very much". What are the costs? A gallon of gas, and a little time. $5/month on a 4-year loan I'd say is a decent break-even point for that.

Well again, assuming two cars you consider equally good (and would have no regret buying one over the other at the same price): You're at the dealership for car A right now - how much more per month can dealer A charge before you feel it is worth your time to drive to dealer B? $10? $20? $50?

Given those assumptions (which may or may not be valid for the original poster), I'd say "not very much". What are the costs? A gallon of gas, and a little time. $5/month on a 4-year loan I'd say is a decent break-even point for that.

no two cars are equally good, never have been never will, each is a compromise with strengths and weakness's, one has to decide which features are desired, which deemed necessary.....otherwise everyone would be driving base Camrys....bottom line Noah, and advice I give on a constant basis, if someone is trying to decide on two vehicles and one is more than another, the advice is go for the one you WANT, because if you buy one you will always be asking yourself what if....and IMO $500 isnt enough to sway that decision, if he steps up i sincerely doubt he will ever thing, GEEZ, I wish id got the cheaper one...

Real simple: no problem with the price or quality of Ford cars. I have been an owner since the college 60's (Cortina), and have owned various: Fairlane, (Pinto!), C. Vics, LTD, F150, Ranger, Explorers, Escape, and Fusion Hybrid(s). I am a retired old guy-- geek/nerd/professor (chip architecture), and usually trade for new every 3-4 years. I am blessed with the ability to choose the car I want, with the build I want (loaded with tech), and pay for it. I was already looking for the new FFH before any incentives were offered, but the hybrids were really late, and my dealer suggested I wait a bit. The Ford personal cash offer simply got me looking again. Sorry if the first post sounded "whiney": I was just not happy with the corporate bean counters setting up straw-dog incentives (bud in PA was told no incentive on ordered car-- only "dealer stock"-- and had no stock). As an aside, I have a super dealer (Sawgrass Ford) who got the exact car I wanted, locked in the incentive on the order, and full trade on the 2010 FFH.

Real simple: no problem with the price or quality of Ford cars. I have been an owner since the college 60's (Cortina), and have owned various: Fairlane, (Pinto!), C. Vics, LTD, F150, Ranger, Explorers, Escape, and Fusion Hybrid(s). I am a retired old guy-- geek/nerd/professor (chip architecture), and usually trade for new every 3-4 years. I am blessed with the ability to choose the car I want, with the build I want (loaded with tech), and pay for it. I was already looking for the new FFH before any incentives were offered, but the hybrids were really late, and my dealer suggested I wait a bit. The Ford personal cash offer simply got me looking again. Sorry if the first post sounded "whiney": I was just not happy with the corporate bean counters setting up straw-dog incentives (bud in PA was told no incentive on ordered car-- only "dealer stock"-- and had no stock). As an aside, I have a super dealer (Sawgrass Ford) who got the exact car I wanted, locked in the incentive on the order, and full trade on the 2010 FFH.

congrats, enjoy....those damn rebates and programs are a royal pain sometimes...doesnt help ( as in your buddys case ) that some dealerships alter the actual truth....I doubt you will ever resent the ultimate decision,...cheers. Dean

• Like 1

If you are down to 2-3 cars and all are in the same relative price range, which would you choose if it were free?

That is the one to buy.

Good thought! I sometimes think the role of incentives (and sometimes the opinions of others) serve to muddle the choice process, and can lead to a poor decision.

Good thought! I sometimes think the role of incentives (and sometimes the opinions of others) serve to muddle the choice process, and can lead to a poor decision.

ssssh, beleive it or not, all the convoluted programs are that way on purpose, to confuse the customer....true story....

• Like 1

And let's not get started on bundling options.....

You mean you didn't want to get a power ashtray and leather seats in order to get a trunk cargo net? Oh well, sometimes the great exec brains are saved by some smart engineering. We DO buy the package!

I once heard someone say they would never pay MSRP for a vehicle - regardless of the actual price. I said so you wouldn't pay $30K for a car with a MSRP of $30K but if the mfr raised the MSRP to $33K and gave you a $3K rebate you'd be all over it? Blank stare.

Same people that only buy based on monthly payments.

I once heard someone say they would never pay MSRP for a vehicle - regardless of the actual price. I said so you wouldn't pay $30K for a car with a MSRP of $30K but if the mfr raised the MSRP to $33K and gave you a $3K rebate you'd be all over it? Blank stare.

Same people that only buy based on monthly payments.

ssssh, beleive it or not, all the convoluted programs are that way on purpose, to confuse the customer....true story....

Ha! All part of the producer/consumer game we call commerce. The goal is to create a sense of value for the product, and hopefully leave the consumer satisfied with the “deal”. Lot’s of room for silliness in the process! I have really enjoyed being able to “build” my Fusion online, adding what I want, knowing the price, and working with the dealer (who I do trust) to a conclusion. If the value (a personal consideration) is there, then the price is right.

Ha! All part of the producer/consumer game we call commerce. The goal is to create a sense of value for the product, and hopefully leave the consumer satisfied with the “deal”. Lot’s of room for silliness in the process! I have really enjoyed being able to “build” my Fusion online, adding what I want, knowing the price, and working with the dealer (who I do trust) to a conclusion. If the value (a personal consideration) is there, then the price is right.

Ford is now showing buyers that a Titanium Focus is actually better value than a loaded SE.

This is deliberate and intended to steer buyers towards more profitable high series models..

Ford is now showing buyers that a Titanium Focus is actually better value than a loaded SE.

This is deliberate and intended to steer buyers towards more profitable high series models..

It's the game of business. If the plan works, then it is a smart business move. It is up to the consumer to make the decision of value. We do it all the time in all parts of our lives. Right now I'm sitting in Starbucks, shooting the bull with the daily morning (old-guy) group-- drinking plain old java that is overpriced-- still worth it to ME!

If they're free, I'll take all of them!

YEAH...BUT YOU WOULD STILL THINK THE DEALER WAS STICKING IT TO YOU SOMEWHERE.....LOL.........

Of course they're sticking it to you: They get a tax break for giving it to me (advertising, charity, whatever), and I have to pay taxes on value as a gift (throwing me into a higher tax bracket). I end up covering both sets of taxes in the end. Keep the damn cars!

Wow, a thread that started out as a simple rant (OK, maybe a whine) has turned into an amusing set of: sarcasms, wit, philosophy, musings, and economic theory (running from the States to Australia-- M Econ, N H, Deanh, jpd80, and akirby)! Fun bunch of people!

Wow, a thread that started out as a simple rant (OK, maybe a whine) has turned into an amusing set of: sarcasms, wit, philosophy, musings, and economic theory (running from the States to Australia-- M Econ, N H, Deanh, jpd80, and akirby)! Fun bunch of people!

actually we are all housed under one roof, wallpaper is curiously heavily padded and meds arrive in 10........

Edited by Deanh
  • Like 2

actually we are all housed under one roof, wallpaper is curiously heavily padded and meds arrive in 10........

Got room in the padded cell? You guys have Forditis (DSM-IV category: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders).

Magic words from Cyberdman: Now less than 20 miles from home!

In Transit - Received - 01E8 (Allied Systems Ltd ) Ramp 21, Miami, FL Apr-02-2013, 12:19 ET.

ETA Apr-07-2013.

From the sales conference:

Fusion recorded massive sales increases in California (69%), Fusions averaged 14 days on lots and hybrids eight days. In Florida, Fusions averaged 16 days on lots and hybrids nine days, Titaniums were averaging 13 days on dealer lots...

From the sales conference:

Fusion recorded massive sales increases in California (69%), Fusions averaged 14 days on lots and hybrids eight days. In Florida, Fusions averaged 16 days on lots and hybrids nine days, Titaniums were averaging 13 days on dealer lots...

They are moving fast: As you go through all the local dealer stock online (S. Fla Ford sites), almost all hybrids are "dealer ordered". Good perks for hybrids down here-- free beach parking, HOV lanes, etc.