I'm sure Ford has a set of standards that must be met and any tire company that can meet those standards is allowed to bid on a tire contract. It does make sense to have more than one tire supplier. If one company has problems for whatever reason, another company can pick up the slack.

Dr. Deming would not be happy with your post....

If it's too close to the sidewall, tire shops won't repair them. My LS has been the worst about that; I can't tell you how many irreparable punctures I've gotten in its tires. It's almost been like I was back in college driving on Maypop tires...

I've had a couple of those on our 05 LS.....

Yup...the tire should've been "Extra Load" rated with a third ply....still plenty of ride comfort yet able to withstand higher load ratings and heat build up. Ford, like all manufacturers during that time wanted tires that were round, black and cheap...and the first two didn't really matter.

Those tires were tested and there was a definite defect in which the tires came apart with less pressure and the wedges on the outside of the belts were thinner than specified by Firestone. Firestone definitely dropped the ball with those tires.

• Like 1

What's the warranty on OEM tires?

I was told 'they all do that'. Anyway, I'd like to go with something more aggressive on the next one. Heck, I bought the truck in december so it came out of the lot with winter wheels installed. The truck spent most of his life on the cheap Pacemark winter tire they gave me. I thought they'd be crap, I ended prefering them to the stock tires (except for the facts they looks like they came out of the 70s).

DSCF5332_zpsa5feee92.jpg

Edited by 92LX302

Those tires were tested and there was a definite defect in which the tires came apart with less pressure and the wedges on the outside of the belts were thinner than specified by Firestone. Firestone definitely dropped the ball with those tires.

Under inflated tires will build up heat faster and eventually fail...that coupled with a higher center of gravity was a mix destined to create havoc on an epic scale....I can remember a rear tire failing on my mothers 1972 LTD station wagon when I was a kid....lots of noise but no rollover since the center of gravity was damn near on the road. Pulled it over, got out the bumper jack and spare...and away we went....

If I remember correctly...that was a bias ply tire too....first radial tire experience was on Dads 1974 LTD Brougham that came with the infamous Firestone 500 radial...when recalled, they were replaced with Firestone 721 radials.

There are lots of attributes that make for a good tire. Longevity, handling, etc but for me, a quiet riding tire is the most important. Amazing how switching from one brand of tire to another (even in the same price range) with similar ratings produce a different level of quietness. Whether driving around the city or zooming down the highway, what`s more irritating then listening to the sound of "wow,wow,wow,wow" of tire noise while accelerating or decelerating.

Under inflated tires will build up heat faster and eventually fail...that coupled with a higher center of gravity ...

Low CG doesn't necessarily help; within the last few weeks, the driver of a handicapped-accessible minivan rolled the vehicle following a blowout. You can't get a CG much lower than one of those, thanks to all the mechanicals in the bellies of those beasts.

What makes the difference is the driver, which isn't exactly surprising, given that the driver usually makes all the difference in pretty much any automotive situation.

Thanks to my days as a poor broke college student and young professional, I've had plenty of experience with blowouts. I've had them in pickups, coupes, and sedans, on front wheels and rear wheels, in RWD, FWD, and 4x4, and I am not entirely disappointed to say that nothing exciting ever happened (unless you consider trekking across a hay field with an air hose and a farm jack on your left shoulder with an air compressor in your right hand to be "exciting"). Hell, on one of the blow-outs (in my T-Bird SC), I only knew about the blowout because I thought I heard a helicopter following me--the car was still tracking true.

As long as you don't freaking panic, blowouts are no big deal. If you panic, it's just like every other emergency--all bets are off...

Edited by SoonerLS
  • Like 3

IMO Goodyears suck. I had them on my 1998 Mustang GT and I have F1 Super Zeros on My SHO, which so far seem decent outside of the very short tredlife they have.

Agreed, well kind of. My experience with GY is they provide good traction, but are typically more costly and provide very short tread life based on the softer compound used.

Under inflated tires will build up heat faster and eventually fail...that coupled with a higher center of gravity was a mix destined to create havoc on an epic scale....

See last quote below.

Whether driving around the city or zooming down the highway, what`s more irritating then listening to the sound of "wow,wow,wow,wow" of tire noise while accelerating or decelerating.

Take it you don't drive a truck with over sized tires. Personally, I like the sound and think it should be expected with truck tires.

What makes the difference is the driver, which isn't exactly surprising, given that the driver usually makes all the difference in pretty much any automotive situation.

Still remember 20/20 doing an episode on the whole Firestone/Explorer debacle. They determined the problem was defective tires (many times under-inflated) and bad drivers (severe over-correction). They tried multiple scenario's of blowing out the tire on all 4 corners, and all it ever did was slowly drift one direction or the other. Heck, the driver even took his hands off the wheel on two attempts and there was no drastic events. Only when the driver severely over corrected did the Explorer ever attempt to rollover.