Mondeo Headlight Conversion For Fusion

tcavagna

This topic has been discussed in another thread at http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/53381-2013-ford-mondeo-why-cant-we-have-this/ . The Mondeo's lights are all LED, but I have converted mine to all LED/HID already, looks just like the Mondeo. The lights are not the same in these two ways:

1. The DRL/indicator strip turn signal

2. The low beam light projector turns as the car turns.

To covert my assemblies to HID/LED was only about $200 and my time to do it. I may consider adding the dual function DRL/turn indicator strips later this summer.

Getting the actual Mondeo assemblies would be well over $1000 USD as they are manufactured in Europe/China. This would not cover the cost of install or conversion/wiring.

I really wish they just came out with these headlights for the U.S. release. The one thing, besides the mileage, that I was a little disappointed about was how pedestrian the headlights were. Ford didn't even bother putting in the bright white bulbs stock, or any LED accent lighting, which is definitely on almost every other car, even cars in lower tiers. I guess they are waiting for the 2014 or even 2015 before they start incorporating these into the U.S. Fusion.

Anyways I found some youtube videos of some headlight demonstration of the Mondeo's headlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6GFKu2cIdg

Edited by sterlinggray

I really wish they just came out with these headlights for the U.S. release. The one thing, besides the mileage, that I was a little disappointed about was how pedestrian the headlights were. Ford didn't even bother putting in the bright white bulbs stock, or any LED accent lighting, which is definitely on almost every other car, even cars in lower tiers. I guess they are waiting for the 2014 or even 2015 before they start incorporating these into the U.S. Fusion.

Anyways I found some youtube videos of some headlight demonstration of the Mondeo's headlights.

I like not having the gimmicky LED accent lights. Its what really sets Ford off from every other copy cat of the Audi system. However I whole hardheartedly agree with your non-white assessment. I would love to get true HID projectors for the Fusion but most likely will only be able to to a HID into Halogen retrofit which will produce more light; its not always the best way to do it. The output of our stock beam/pattern leaves a lot to be desired.

As for me, I did the plug n play HID's and there simply is no comparison. The beam pattern is great at 6000k and way brighter than halogen. I don't see any reason for a retrofit for my needs.

That will indeed be my first step in evaluation. A good HID kit is around $100. Where as a full fledged HID will be 1K+ Thats a lot of beer in my book. :-)

Now for the discouraging input. My friend and I noticed that the '14 Mondeos have a slightly different shaped headlight compared to the US versions at the ends. Seems like the headlight is a tad longer and angled just slightly different to the US market. So in order to properly do this conversion, more than likely you'll have to change out the fenders as well. Still too early to tell but this may be a deal breaker for a lot of folks if the differences in headlights hold up on the production Euro market.

Edited by HenryVIII

as mentioned on the other forum i fail to see the differences in shape and length on the lights, i do however see how an optical illusion may be affecting what you're seeing as the fusion has the amber side reflector and the mondeo does not, thus making more open space in the mondeo light creating an illusion that the mondeo light is longer but i don't see any physical size difference between the two. but this is of course just judging from images online. until we actually get some more detail factual information we won't know for sure.

Unless the image used for the 2014 Mondeo is wrong from the article they look exactly the same:

CtuGiQ2.jpg

The interior elements look slightly different. The area just in front of the amber reflector doesn't have that extra swoop on the Mondeo.

Edited by JScullin

Neod - in Europe Ford offers the Mondeo in 3 body styles, the 4 door sedan, a wagon and a "5-door", the model shown in the video. I agree, I wish they offered the 5 door in the US, that would be perfect for me. I would pay an extra $1,000 for those headlights. Very nice. Also, the bigger moonroof is nice.

Neod - in Europe Ford offers the Mondeo in 3 body styles, the 4 door sedan, a wagon and a "5-door", the model shown in the video. I agree, I wish they offered the 5 door in the US, that would be perfect for me. I would pay an extra $1,000 for those headlights. Very nice. Also, the bigger moonroof is nice.

Oh, I didn't realize that's the 5-door model :) I was expecting the 5-door to be a hatchback or wagon, but it looks just like the Fusion (unless I'm missing something).

Oh, I didn't realize that's the 5-door model :) I was expecting the 5-door to be a hatchback or wagon, but it looks just like the Fusion (unless I'm missing something).

It is a hatchback. The glass opens with the trunklid.

Did you guys notice at 2:30 how the trunk opens? The whole back glass is part of the door and it opens really high! I wish the Fusion did that !

Yes, I would definitely have bought a Fusion hatchback if it had been available. Like that feature very much. Of course, with the big Energi battery, there would not be a flat trunk floor, but a hatch would give nice access to the trunk space that you do have.

Unless the image used for the 2014 Mondeo is wrong from the article they look exactly the same:

CtuGiQ2.jpg

The interior elements look slightly different. The area just in front of the amber reflector doesn't have that extra swoop on the Mondeo.

I hope they are not, but we noticed some differences based on other images. We won't know for sure until a few months time. I certainly hope they are the same. But be ready for wiring and headlight modding along with paying a pretty penny as I'm sure they'll be expensive.

I'll wait to see if they change things for 2014/2015 for the US market.

Edited by HenryVIII

Neod, you're not missing anything. It looks almost exactly like the 4-door sedan. The rake to the back window is a bit different and it has a wiper on the back window. Very cool body style, it seems to be working in the US for Audi with the A7. It would be nice for Ford to give it a shot here.

• Like 1

Neod, you're not missing anything. It looks almost exactly like the 4-door sedan. The rake to the back window is a bit different and it has a wiper on the back window. Very cool body style, it seems to be working in the US for Audi with the A7. It would be nice for Ford to give it a shot here.

I would have bought the hatchback version in an instant. Much more utility than a sedan and no need for a pickup! :)