Ford ratings in Consumer Reports, below average reliability

did they create a Syncmyride account for you and register your vehicle?, tell you how to get a vehicle health report? Explain what doors Sync services supplies? ...20 minutes right there, BEFORE getting to the car......Sirius Traffic link?....how much MORE did you discover after the actual delivery...my bet ...quite a bit.....sorry Nick, its a pretty steep learning curve....

We set up Syncmyride while the finance guy was doing his thing...

As for everything else, the learning curve was no steeper than any other piece of electronics I've owned over the past decade. :shrug: Should salespeople really be wasting their time explaining every single detail of it? Did the sales guy tell you how to adjust the color and brightness settings on the last television you bought? I think everyone would be better off if they stuck to the basics and told them to refer to the manual for anything else. If that's still too complicated for them to figure out, again, you probably sold them the wrong vehicle.

We set up Syncmyride while the finance guy was doing his thing...

As for everything else, the learning curve was no steeper than any other piece of electronics I've owned over the past decade. :shrug: Should salespeople really be wasting their time explaining every single detail of it? Did the sales guy tell you how to adjust the color and brightness settings on the last television you bought? I think everyone would be better off if they stuck to the basics and told them to refer to the manual for anything else. If that's still too complicated for them to figure out, again, you probably sold them the wrong vehicle.

couldnt agree more....but like I said, if a customer has a issue ( and from experience they would rather come back than refer to the manual ) and gets annoyed because he CANNOT come to grasp with the system, the onus is laid at the feet of the dealer, and reflects in substandard CSI....so, in light of that, perhaps a majority of my angst can be laid at the feet of OUR accountability fopr a system consumers continually have issues with....

couldnt agree more....but like I said, if a customer has a issue ( and from experience they would rather come back than refer to the manual ) and gets annoyed because he CANNOT come to grasp with the system, the onus is laid at the feet of the dealer, and reflects in substandard CSI....so, in light of that, perhaps a majority of my angst can be laid at the feet of OUR accountability fopr a system consumers continually have issues with....

Sounds like you are dealing with a handful of codgers who can't be troubled to open a manual and instead want to be spoon-fed all the answers. It's not like those type of buyers would be any more pleased by any of the infotainment systems offered by competitors, and that's really the only thing that matters. The technology is coming anyway. As long as it works properly the manufacturer and dealers can't be responsible for making their customers actually learn how to use it!

Sounds like you are dealing with a handful of codgers who can't be troubled to open a manual and instead want to be spoon-fed all the answers. It's not like those type of buyers would be any more pleased by any of the infotainment systems offered by competitors, and that's really the only thing that matters. The technology is coming anyway. As long as it works properly the manufacturer and dealers can't be responsible for making their customers actually learn how to use it!

actually, its a mix, but YES, the older the demographic the less "embracing" takes place........the younger crowd just gets pissed at how nothing is instantaneous and glitch free....

the younger crowd just gets pissed at how nothing is instantaneous and glitch free....

Well, based on what else has been said about the other systems now on the market, they'd be just as annoyed by pretty much everything else available too. :shrug:

Those with realistic expectations will see acceptable results. Those without, well...

Well, based on what else has been said about the other systems now on the market, they'd be just as annoyed by pretty much everything else available too. :shrug:

Those with realistic expectations will see acceptable results. Those without, well...

my hope is it continues down its road of refinement, its one hell of a lot better than it was for sure...and the take rate is exceptionally high, so its here to stay...

my hope is it continues down its road of refinement, its one hell of a lot better than it was for sure...and the take rate is exceptionally high, so its here to stay...

It's far more difficult, impossible really, to believe it won't vastly improve. If it doesn't, it would pretty much be unprecedented in the history of hardware and software development.

And then, just when everything works fine, it will be time to screw it all up again.

If not, that too would be unprecedented in the history of hardware and software development.

not to mention Powerstroke history....lol....

And then, just when everything works fine, it will be time to screw it all up again.

If not, that too would be unprecedented in the history of hardware and software development.

True! But really, the leap to some sort of digital interface in automobiles had to happen with the content level customers are now demanding or else we'd soon have dashboards that looked like this:

15039458-jet-aircraft-cockpit.jpg

True! But really, the leap to some sort of digital interface in automobiles had to happen with the content level customers are now demanding or else we'd soon have dashboards that looked like this:

Sync....please say a command...........

• Like 1

thats what this guy is for......

• Like 1

It'll come to that at some point. Just imagine the potential complaints then!

well, apparently self driving cars are on the way...one will have PLENTY of time to spend on their vehicles "tablet".....ahem...someone shoot me now....

As an admitted aging Dinosaur, Codger, Geezer, Old Fart, and "damn proud of it", I don`t need nor want un-necessary Technology that I have to either (learn or be spoon fed). I (do) read the Owners Manual on every new Car I`ve purchased, (17) to date. Its when simple functionality requires an Owners Manual the thickness of a decent size Cities Phone Directory, I take issue! Im not against progress. I love Power Windows, Power Door Locks, Air Conditioning, etc but I personally don`t need to be Bluetooth Connected 24/7! Guess it boils down to a Generation Gap. I`m a Vietnam Vet. The oldest of the so called Baby Boomers still remembers Rotary Telephones (which, by the way, I don`t miss) and also remember when Pay Phones had "Doors" back in the day when ones conversation with another was a private personal matter, not to be shared with anyone and everyone within ear shot at Restaurants, Movie Theaters, and now even at Funeral Homes where the Funeral Director must ask those in attendance to "Silence their phones, please"! Why Ford refuses to offer a Sirius/XM Radio as a stand alone option without MFT or Sync.

• Like 2

Why Ford refuses to offer a Sirius/XM Radio as a stand alone option without MFT or Sync.

In some models, Sirius/XM is offered in non-MFT vehicles. Far as I know my friend's Focus SE has Sirius but not MFT. :shrug:

Frankly, they just can't and won't build vehicles with every possible combination of options. Somewhere somebody isn't going to be happy. That's just how it is in the modern auto industry. They'll never go back to the days where the option sheets are 4 pages of checkboxes that can all be ordered piecemeal. It simply costs too much to do it that way.

Edited by NickF1011

I remember people bitching about all the buttons on the 2004 F-150 center stack! You can't win either way....people aren't happy unless they are bitching about something!

As an admitted aging Dinosaur, Codger, Geezer, Old Fart, and "damn proud of it", I don`t need nor want un-necessary Technology that I have to either (learn or be spoon fed). I (do) read the Owners Manual on every new Car I`ve purchased, (17) to date. Its when simple functionality requires an Owners Manual the thickness of a decent size Cities Phone Directory, I take issue! Im not against progress. I love Power Windows, Power Door Locks, Air Conditioning, etc but I personally don`t need to be Bluetooth Connected 24/7! Guess it boils down to a Generation Gap. I`m a Vietnam Vet. The oldest of the so called Baby Boomers still remembers Rotary Telephones (which, by the way, I don`t miss) and also remember when Pay Phones had "Doors" back in the day when ones conversation with another was a private personal matter, not to be shared with anyone and everyone within ear shot at Restaurants, Movie Theaters, and now even at Funeral Homes where the Funeral Director must ask those in attendance to "Silence their phones, please"! Why Ford refuses to offer a Sirius/XM Radio as a stand alone option without MFT or Sync.

Funny thing is my dad is about the same age as you and he went out and updated his and my mom's cell phones so he could use MFT with them! They got a 2013 Escape Ti...

I showed them a couple things on it and I also discovered their MFT is a bit different then one in my SHO....He was asking me this weekend how to shut up the Say a Command every time you hit the sync button. I'll show him when I head up there tonight.

Funny thing is my dad is about the same age as you and he went out and updated his and my mom's cell phones so he could use MFT with them! They got a 2013 Escape Ti...

I showed them a couple things on it and I also discovered their MFT is a bit different then one in my SHO....He was asking me this weekend how to shut up the Say a Command every time you hit the sync button. I'll show him when I head up there tonight.

beauty is he has someone that HAS the system and uses its constantly for advice....I swear, I STILL dont know half of the stuff the system is capable of, and thats partly a reflection of the fact I dont use it daily, OR have the system in my own car....let alone the motorbike...there is NO substitute for constant hands on....doesnt help that all our vehicle manuals are locked away either....

beauty is he has someone that HAS the system and uses its constantly for advice....I swear, I STILL dont know half of the stuff the system is capable of, and thats partly a reflection of the fact I dont use it daily, OR have the system in my own car....let alone the motorbike...there is NO substitute for constant hands on....doesnt help that all our vehicle manuals are locked away either....

...and this is why reviews of it are suspect. Even the sales guy isn't used to it, yet most owners who have learned how to use it would recommend it.

beauty is he has someone that HAS the system and uses its constantly for advice.

Actually most of the stuff he's asked me was about what phone to get or what to look for when he gets one. He got this Escape about a week after I got my car so its not like I had that much more hands on it..and the Ford App for the Ipad is VERY basic.