FUEL DELIVERY MODULE REPLACEMENT - RECALL

Chris1970

Here's the one for the fuel tank (and also has an instrument cluster update if you have MyFord Touch)

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/pubs/content/~WT/~MUS~LEN/3575/tsb13-06-03.pdf

There was also a separate TSB for those who had issues where the gas pump would constantly click off during fill up:

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/pubs/content/~WT/~MUS~LEN/3553/tsb13-06-01.htm

Thanks.

So are they going to issue an official recall for this? I can only ever get 11.5-13 gallons when I fill up. How would I have ever known they have a fix if I never saw your post?

What is the instrument cluster update for? Recalibrating the MTE?

Edited by deadman64

Thanks.

So are they going to issue an official recall for this? I can only ever get 11.5-13 gallons when I fill up. How would I have ever known they have a fix if I never saw your post?

What is the instrument cluster update for? Recalibrating the MTE?

Probably no official recall, but now that Ford has acknowledged it through a TSB, if you complain to your dealer, they have a known fix for it. My dealer was hesitant to just start replacing things, without knowing if it would correct the issue. And, yeah, I think the instrument cluster update is for re-calibrating the MTE. I know on mine, it would not warn me for low fuel until 10 miles to empty (which to me should warn at 50 miles).

• Like 1

Here's the one for the fuel tank (and also has an instrument cluster update if you have MyFord Touch)

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/pubs/content/~WT/~MUS~LEN/3575/tsb13-06-03.pdf

There was also a separate TSB for those who had issues where the gas pump would constantly click off during fill up:

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/pubs/content/~WT/~MUS~LEN/3553/tsb13-06-01.htm

I have a 2.5L engine and have the fuel filling issue as well. I have never been able to get more than around 12 gals into it, even after taking it slightly below 0 DTE.

That recall only mentions 1.6 and 2.0 engines. Wonder if I am SOL or if it will apply to 2.5 as well.....? 'Cause I definitely have that same issue going on.

Does anyone have an issue with the MTE displaying under 50 mi but not changing colors or warning? I took it into the dealer and they claim there's nothing they can do to fix it...

I've got a 2.0 AWD Ti

Mine goes yellow with about 10 miles to empty. Are you also having problems filling the tank when it's empty? I think it might be related.

Mine goes yellow with about 10 miles to empty. Are you also having problems filling the tank when it's empty? I think it might be related.

Same here, my yellow light goes off at 10 miles to empty. No issues filling up, the most I've ever put in was 13 gallons and that was 5 miles past empty.

Same here, my yellow light goes off at 10 miles to empty. No issues filling up, the most I've ever put in was 13 gallons and that was 5 miles past empty.

Technically that is the issue. We are supposed to have a 16.5 gallon tank. I have been down to 3 MTE and 50 MTE and can only get 12.5 gallons in. I have a service set up for next Wed to have them check the TSB for this..

Technically that is the issue. We are supposed to have a 16.5 gallon tank. I have been down to 3 MTE and 50 MTE and can only get 12.5 gallons in. I have a service set up for next Wed to have them check the TSB for this..

So I saw the fix is to obviously swap out the fuel tank for that TSB. I took mine in for the leaky tank recall (topic of this thread) and they have the new tank on order. I'm assuming when they put the new recall tank it will be killing two birds with one stone and I shouldn't have to tell them to swap it out again for the bigger tank right?

I just might need to bug them about updating the instrument cluster?

So I saw the fix is to obviously swap out the fuel tank for that TSB. I took mine in for the leaky tank recall (topic of this thread) and they have the new tank on order. I'm assuming when they put the new recall tank it will be killing two birds with one stone and I shouldn't have to tell them to swap it out again for the bigger tank right?

I just might need to bug them about updating the instrument cluster?

I called in to my dealership to check about the fuel pump recall and to mention the TSB for not being able to fill the tank all the way. I was told they need to inspect the recalled part before they can order it.

The service writer said he was familiar with the filling issue, but that the replacing of the tank was not automatically done even though thats how the TSB reads. Most of the time just a reprogram is needed. He says he has seen 8 or 10 of them come through and only 1 needed a tank replacement.

I asked how a reprogram was going to affect how much gas the tank was allowing into it. He responsded with "I'm not sure, I think it has something to do with the capless fuel system and the car sensing how much gas there is in there." I asked " So you are saying that when the car incorrectly reads/calculates how much gas is in, there it does something to get the gas pump (back pressure of a filled tank, or whatever normally shuts off a pump?) to shut off?" He said, "yes, something like that."

I'm no expert, but that just doesnt sound right. So when I bring it in they will reprogram my Ford Touch system only.

After that, I fully expect to have the same issue upon the next fill up and will have to bring it back again.

Edited by rkan

I called in to my dealership to check about the fuel pump recall and to mention the TSB for not being able to fill the tank all the way. I was told they need to inspect the recalled part before they can order it.

The service writer said he was familiar with the filling issue, but that the replacing of the tank was not automatically done even though thats how the TSB reads. Most of the time just a reprogram is needed. He says he has seen 8 or 10 of them come through and only 1 needed a tank replacement.

I asked how a reprogram was going to affect how much gas the tank was allowing into it. He responsded with "I'm not sure, I think it has something to do with the capless fuel system and the car sensing how much gas there is in there." I asked " So you are saying that when the car incorrectly reads/calculates how much gas is in, there it does something to get the gas pump (back pressure of a filled tank, or whatever normally shuts off a pump?) to shut off?" He said, "yes, something like that."

I'm no expert, but that just doesnt sound right. So when I bring it in they will reprogram my Ford Touch system only.

After that, I fully expect to have the same issue upon the next fill up and will have to bring it back again.

Wow, thanks for the info. Yeah I'm not an expert either but I'm pretty sure the car's computer has nothing to do with the fuel pump detecting the pressure/fumes. The only thing I thought the software was for was to re-calibrate the Miles to Empty.

Ugh, this is going to be annoying if we have to bring it back again to switch to the bigger tank that should have been there when I took delivery.

I'm pretty sure the car's computer has nothing to do with the fuel pump detecting the pressure/fumes. The only thing I thought the software was for was to re-calibrate the Miles to Empty.

Exactly. 2 different issues that could present in a similar way so I can see how they would be confused.

• Like 1

So I'm not sure if i'm following this correctly.... my 2013 SE currently has the recall notice for the fuel delivery module thing - which is for the potential gas leak, right? But, i'm in the same boat with everyone else here - i've never gotten more than 12.5 gallons in per fill-up. Is the TSB 13-6-3 for this gas tank capacity issue a separate recall from the fuel delivery module recall, or are they both the same?

My ford dealer said the same thing - they won't work on it unless i smelled gas leaking... but i definitely want to be able to fit more than 12.5 gallons in per fill-up; ever since i got the car i've been thinking that was ridiculously small for the tank to be!!

Guest RRF985

Two separate things. There is a recall for the fuel module. There are no parts available at this time. If you smell fuel or see it leaking, they will replace it with another unbroken recalled part until the new revised part is in stock.

The TSB is for the fuel tank not being able to be filled all the way and will require the tank to be replaced.

They said the fuel filler pipe is what causes us to not be able to fill it to 16.5 gallons?

There are 2 TSB's (besides the recall) related to fuel issues.

1. Gas tank/instrument cluster calibration (if you have MyFord Touch). This is if you can't fill up more than 10-12 gallons when your car is at 35 miles or less to empty.
  2. Fuel filler neck. This is for when you get constant click offs when filling your gas - Less than 1 Gallon per click off, even when you first begin filling the tank from empty

The recall is a third and separate issue.