Ford not missing Ranger

I still think there is a nice market for them in this, its just if the business case doesn't add up than why do it? I did hear a rumor lately though that they were going to start doing a small truck again. The pictures I saw looked more like a Colorado sized one than the old Ranger.

I can only say that I would be a potential Ford customer in the very near future if they offered a smaller truck. From their perspective, it's hard to argue with the numbers though. I think it's difficult to speculate the impact of a Ranger on F150 sales, but what they are doing is working for now.

Interesting perspective. Impressively, last month Ford sold more than twice as many F-Series as all U.S. market compact/midsize trucks combined. :victory:

Preposterous. It's been unequivocally insisted upon here many times that there are untold hundreds of thousands of people who simply do not want a full-size truck, especially an atrociously bloated monstrosity like the F-150, and will buy a small truck instead...thus, Ford is obviously missing out on sales. The fact the F-series itself outsells the ENTIRE market of small trucks just proves the market needs a good entry from Ford. :headspin:

Bottom line: The DATA (not feelings or nonsensical "I'd buy a Ranger if Ford made one" comments) proves the market for small trucks is small and getting smaller. Ford has bigger fish to fry and better ways to make additional profit than sinking money into a product to enter a shrinking market. (Example: Ford is better off sinking money (as they are doing) into the redesign and continual improvement of its class-crushing F-series that sold more units last MONTH than they could likely hope to sell of a small truck in a YEAR). Again: Ford exists for ONE REASON ONLY: To. Make. Money. That's it. You want a small truck? You want a RWD, over-priced luxury car? You want an ill-defined "halo" car. Go somewhere else and buy it. Ford's too busy counting the money from F-Series, Fusion, Escape and Explorer.

Not to continue to pile on the Ranger fantasy brigade but I just want to point out that Nissan Frontier and Toyota Tacoma are both entering its 10th model year basically unchanged; and with no redesign imminent in the near future. Both are being "ranger-ed" right in front our eyes.

If this segment is so lucrative and has so much potential, then why did the Toyota, the one with over 50% of the market share, decided to let it wither on a vine?

• Like 2

Minus 700lbs and a few square feet of front surface area if you're talking highway.

Not a good idea and probably not legal, but the fastest way to reduce frontal area is to remove the side view mirror. Tests done many, MANY years ago by one of the car mags actually showed a difference in the "real world".

Not a good idea and probably not legal, but the fastest way to reduce frontal area is to remove the side view mirror. Tests done many, MANY years ago by one of the car mags actually showed a difference in the "real world".

Shame Ford couldn't make a screen on the driver and passenger side glass that gives a rear view image.

yeah, it is a dying niche really. Why waste all that R&D on it. Tell you what, Alan knows what he is doing. He has dragged us kicking a screaming deep into the black

Opportunity cost.

No doubt there are buyers out there that Ford could sell a new Ranger too but could Ford put that money to

much better use with increasing sales with other more profitable existing product in other segments........

I have a feeling that 100% commitment to a lighter more fuel efficient F150 will be far more beneficial

to Ford by hopefully increasing F150 sales by a greater amount than adding Ranger to the showroom.

Edited by jpd80