What change do you want for the Ford Fusion?

taylorjd

Wow. I had no idea that was how the Active Park Assist worked. I'm glad I didn't get it.

I read it & it's not the best explanation (not knocking the writer, it's tough to describe). You hit the button, drive along & it tells you when it finds a space. It says stop & then reverse - you just sit there. It does it from pretty much the same position a human would when parallel parking..........it's just much faster (it makes no mistakes). You can just let your foot off the brake & it will zip into the space pretty well..............if ya got the nerve.

I'd like to see the trunk lid open a bit more. It doesn't give much clearance for noggins when trying to load the trunk.

I'd also like the touch screen to be capacitive, instead of resistive. The touch has to be much too firm for my tastes, leaving heavier finger smudges than necessary. Also, a capacitive screen would allow for multi touch, making the navigation zoom much easier. (you could pinch the screen like your phone)

Yeah but that would be real hard to control in a car............touching something, hit a bump = where the hell are you now? Just a guess as to why they use resistive for the screen.

• Like 1

I read it & it's not the best explanation (not knocking the writer, it's tough to describe). You hit the button, drive along & it tells you when it finds a space. It says stop & then reverse - you just sit there. It does it from pretty much the same position a human would when parallel parking..........it's just much faster (it makes no mistakes). You can just let your foot off the brake & it will zip into the space pretty well..............if ya got the nerve.

I looked at the park assist for the Prius and it looked much harder to use then just parking it yourself, but I have used the Fusion on and bought it w my car. Very well made, easy to use. Is it worth the $900, not really sure. If I had to choice between that and the Driver Assist, I would get the Driver Assist (nice package of features).

• Like 1

I looked at the park assist for the Prius and it looked much harder to use then just parking it yourself, but I have used the Fusion on and bought it w my car. Very well made, easy to use. Is it worth the $900, not really sure. If I had to choice between that and the Driver Assist, I would get the Driver Assist (nice package of features).

:) I'll have to admit, if it wasn't on the car when I bought it I would not have gotten it. I actually have to go looking for a place to use it. It is fun, watch people stop & stare when you're sitting there with your arms crossed. Now If I had to parallel park frequently I'd get it - it certainly works real well.

• Like 1

I've had my car for about 5 weeks, and I've used the parking assist about 10 times already. It is really cool. The only times it's had trouble is when the curb is too low, or if there is a shrub on the curb, and it can't sense the curb too well. It just comes in too steep and hits the curb a bit. No biggie. You just control the gas and the brake, and follow the directions for when to put it in P or R.

• Like 1

Yeah but that would be real hard to control in a car............touching something, hit a bump = where the hell are you now? Just a guess as to why they use resistive for the screen.

Actually, I've had capacitive in my previous car. Yes, I had accidental presses occasionally, but it wasn't too bad. The hard presses are annoying! I'd take occasional oops over always annoying any day. My previous car's navigation could be used while the car was in motion too... I miss that!

Nit picking:

LIghts: I like to leave mine in the on position but it bings telling me they are on. I would rather they do like my old Nissan and Hyundai and just go "off" without reminder.

TPMS: Show actual numbers. With all those cool LCD screens I would think it should be easy and not terribly more expensive to put in the more dynamic sensors.

I have not driven mine enough (just at 1K) to do maint. that usually brings up a host of what the *ahem* where they thinking when they put this here? I am suspicious given you need to remove your bumper to replace dead headlights....

I agree on the lights, on our previous Honda Accord Hybrid we could just leave the lights in the on position, it would ding at us, but as soon as we locked the car the lights would shut off. In the FFH the lights stay on longer so I haven't tried leaving them on and waiting to see how much battery they drain before shutting off. Also agree on the TPMS. If it showed actual numbers we wouldn't need to check our tire pressure as often because we could see the numbers. Nissan has done this since 2005 as my parents have it in their Murano so by now the sensors to do this should be relatively inexpensive.

HIDs standard and LED running lights. The Mustang has them, the Fusion should as well.

Agree! At the very least make DRLs a feature that are on when headlights are set to "auto" and no DRLs when headlights set to "off" like Toyota does. It is disappointing that there are no DRLs except on fleet orders or Canadian orders.

akirby - Yes sir, I use the turn signal - and tap the brake lights a lot to let the cars behind me know that I'm parallel parking. With park assist you use the turn signal to let the system know if you are parking on the left or right, in the event of a one-way street. I live in the city, not downtown, but in an area where parallel parking is something I do a few times a week. I thought the park assist would help in those situations where there is a lot of traffic, it is hard to spot a space and you want to zip into the space as fast as possible. So far I'm finding it easier to just park it manually. If I'm on a street that isn't busy it works great, but then there is little point to it.

At least its nice to know there is still a use for a driver.

I live in Minneapolis too and often am parallel parking in the city. I know exactly what you mean about how many drivers pay no attention and pull right up on your bumper even when you put your turn signal on and stop. It's especially bad on busy streets like Bloomington or Chicago, or anywhere in Uptown...

Longer Driver's side front floor-mat. Seriously it could be several inches longer BEFORE it even reaches the gas pedal.

And a LED/HID headlamp option.

I agree. When we bought our FFH we immediately bought the Ford all-weather floor mats to use for winter and the carpet ones for summer. We are very disappointed that the all-weather floor mats don't protect the carpet very well. For next winter we will be buying some Husky or WeatherTech mats because those do go up all the way under the pedals.

• Like 2

I live in Minneapolis too and often am parallel parking in the city. I know exactly what you mean about how many drivers pay no attention and pull right up on your bumper even when you put your turn signal on and stop. It's especially bad on busy streets like Bloomington or Chicago, or anywhere in Uptown...

Hybridbear - you aren't kidding. Part of what prompted my post about the Active Park Assist is what happened to me one night in Uptown, pulling up to Cafe Barbette on Lake Street. I was going to parallel park on the left side (North) of the street, which is one-way in that area. I signalled, braked, flashed my brakes, tried to use the Park Assist, which pulled me too far up, but there was some dork right on my back bumper. No other cars around! Then, after blocking me from backing into the space I wanted, she went around me, flipping me off and then went to the complete opposite side of Lake Street and turned right! There was no reason for her to be in the far left lane, much less riding my rear bumper. As I've tried to explain, all too often I find it easier to just parallel park manually. I'm disappointed in the Park Assist. If it didn't pull up so far and if it had a rear-facing "Ben Hur" feature for people riding your rear bumper it would be a real help. As it is, not so much.

• Like 1

Maybe they need to add a flashing sign in the back of the car, "I am parallel parking, Stay back 50 feet." It comes on when you activate the parking assist.

in Lost In Space robot's voice!!

&

make the rear center brake light do a combo Cylon/Knightrider movement

biggrin.gif

I would like to see better cabin ergonomics. Center console is to far back. Window power buttons are to far forward. Cup holders are nice but awkwardly placed.

Would also like a coin tray that is easily accessible and more storage nooks in general.

Edited by fusionTX
  • Like 3

Hybridbear - you aren't kidding. Part of what prompted my post about the Active Park Assist is what happened to me one night in Uptown, pulling up to Cafe Barbette on Lake Street. I was going to parallel park on the left side (North) of the street, which is one-way in that area. I signalled, braked, flashed my brakes, tried to use the Park Assist, which pulled me too far up, but there was some dork right on my back bumper. No other cars around! Then, after blocking me from backing into the space I wanted, she went around me, flipping me off and then went to the complete opposite side of Lake Street and turned right! There was no reason for her to be in the far left lane, much less riding my rear bumper. As I've tried to explain, all too often I find it easier to just parallel park manually. I'm disappointed in the Park Assist. If it didn't pull up so far and if it had a rear-facing "Ben Hur" feature for people riding your rear bumper it would be a real help. As it is, not so much.

Yeah, it's rather annoying. I'll usually just wait for the other person to back up or go around when they're too dumb to realize that your turn signal and brake lights when on in the middle of the block indicate that you're parking. I think part of the issue is that so many ppl don't bother to use their turn signals when parking. Even when I'm not parallel parking and just pulling in to the curb I make sure to use my turn signal if others are around so they know why I'm slowing down in the middle of the road. It's so annoying when you're driving behind someone down the street and they all of a sudden hit the brakes and pull in to park without signaling. It's especially annoying in the hybrid because it hurts my brake score and wastes energy that I could have otherwise recaptured through regenerative braking

• Like 1

FusionTX wrote:

I would like to see better cabin ergonomics. Center console is to far back. Window power buttons are to far forward. Cup holders are nice but awkwardly placed.

Would also like a coin tray that is easily accessible and more storage nooks in general.

Agreed. While I don't think the ergonomics are bad, they just seem a bit awkward. I'm always hitting the switch for the back windows when I mean to hit the front and the left cup holder on the console is so close to my right elbow that I wonder if I'll ever use it. There is room for improvement. Someone posted on here about their experience attending an event for Fusion owners that Ford had and he was questioned at length by several Ford engineers. Many of the questions concerned the placement of buttons. It sounds like they are aware of these issues.

Ditto. The biggest annoyance for me is the window switches. They seem like they were placed for short people that are really close the steering wheel.

Ditto. The biggest annoyance for me is the window switches. They seem like they were placed for short people that are really close the steering wheel.

For my wife (a short person), I would like to have the adjustable gas and brake peddles (in/out, re-settable with the memory recalls) and height control on the passenger seat, she says sitting there makes her feel like a little kid (can't see over the dash :)).

What a great topic, and what a lot of good ideas!

Here are 6 changes I would like to see retro-fitted to my 2013 Energi:

1. Change MFT home screen audio quadrant to show last 9 source/channel combinations that I have listened to, rather than 9 channels of the current-selected source, so I can easily tab between my favorites, wherever they come from

2. Change moonroof button operation so that when the roof is tilted and I want to open it (or vice versa) I do NOT need to push the close button first -- make it work the way my Audi's moonroof works

3. Make AppLink work with Sync gen 2

4. Make the numerical read-out of cruise control set-speed much easier to read (currently in extreme lower left, in white letters, in small font size) -- ideally would be on speedometer itself, but at least should be larger, more intense color and closer to the speedometer

5. Extend adaptive cruise minimum speed down to 0 -- not sure if this can be retrofitted or might require hardware changes

6. Agree strongly that parking-assist forces you to pull too far forward before it engages -- creeps can pull up behind you and try to steal the parking space

Here are changes that will be impossible to retrofit but I hope future Fusion buyers can benefit from:

1. Fix the trunk lid so it doesn't hit people in the back of the head!

2. Agree that the ideal solution would be to import the Mondeo lift-back 5-door

3. Steerable / shapeable headlight patterns

4. Easier access to both driver and passenger seat -- currently have to swivel around to get out

5. Fully-adjustable 10-way power passenger seat

6. Agree that night vision would be cool

7. Agree that true auto-pilot steering will be tablestakes during Fusion's lifespan

8. And of course a higher-capacity battery with a smaller envelope and better placement in the car -- but this will have to wait until battery technology improves significantly

• Like 2

What a great topic, and what a lot of good ideas!

Here are 6 changes I would like to see retro-fitted to my 2013 Energi:

1. Change MFT home screen audio quadrant to show last 9 source/channel combinations that I have listened to, rather than 9 channels of the current-selected source, so I can easily tab between my favorites, wherever they come from

2. Change moonroof button operation so that when the roof is tilted and I want to open it (or vice versa) I do NOT need to push the close button first -- make it work the way my Audi's moonroof works

3. Make AppLink work with Sync gen 2

4. Make the numerical read-out of cruise control set-speed much easier to read (currently in extreme lower left, in white letters, in small font size) -- ideally would be on speedometer itself, but at least should be larger, more intense color and closer to the speedometer

5. Extend adaptive cruise minimum speed down to 0 -- not sure if this can be retrofitted or might require hardware changes

6. Agree strongly that parking-assist forces you to pull too far forward before it engages -- creeps can pull up behind you and try to steal the parking space

Here are changes that will be impossible to retrofit but I hope future Fusion buyers can benefit from:

1. Fix the trunk lid so it doesn't hit people in the back of the head!

3. Steerable / shapeable headlight patterns

4. Easier access to both driver and passenger seat -- currently have to swivel around to get out

6. Agree that night vision would be cool

7. Agree that true auto-pilot steering will be tablestakes during Fusion's lifespan

8. And of course a higher-capacity battery with a smaller envelope and better placement in the car -- but this will have to wait until battery technology improves significantly

1. There is a TSB out for the trunk lid on models with spoilers to change the tension rods and hold it up better.

4. On the driver's seat there is the easy access function that, when on, automatically slides the seat back to aid in entry/exit and then returns to the memory setting once in. Is this not in line with what you mean?

This is so logical, I seriously wonder why Ford didn't design it this way to begin with. I had the chance to test drive a Fusion Energi this weekend and loved the car, but lack of cargo capacity is a serious concern of mine. All the popular electric models seem to take the hatchback approach - Chevy Volt, Nissan Leaf, Tesla Model S. I'm not sure why Ford thought it would be better to have a miniscule trunk.

• Like 3

This is so logical, I seriously wonder why Ford didn't design it this way to begin with. I had the chance to test drive a Fusion Energi this weekend and loved the car, but lack of cargo capacity is a serious concern of mine. All the popular electric models seem to take the hatchback approach - Chevy Volt, Nissan Leaf, Tesla Model S. I'm not sure why Ford thought it would be better to have a miniscule trunk.

This topic has been beaten to death more times than I have been able to read. I would love the 5-door, but american majority does not.

• Like 1

Two changes for me:

1) As stated previously, the angle of the rear window should not be such that the trunk lid is so short it cannot raise high enough, or offer a 5-door version.

2) Get rid of the overly large center console. Don't angle it towards the center of the car, and keep it narrow. I don't like it being right up against my right leg.

My 2012 has neither of these issues, so I'm hoping that when the time comes to replace it, the next generation Fusion will won't have them either.

I agree with so much you said there, but if they come out with a 10-way power passenger seat, I would like to replace mine with it. Wife hates how low she is in the seat.

And I think they need to replace the analog needle speedometer with a digital one. It should be select able with several types of digital ones and one that mimics the a needle (a little like the MKZ does but the numbers need to be part of the screen so they can be replaced with the digital speed).

I had the chance to test drive a Fusion Energi this weekend and loved the car, but lack of cargo capacity is a serious concern of mine.

I love my Fusion Energi, but trunk space is an issue. It is deep or high, so I can fit some full grocery bags in it, but many times I have to put things in the back seat. Still in all, I love the car!

• Like 1

1. There is a TSB out for the trunk lid on models with spoilers to change the tension rods and hold it up better.

4. On the driver's seat there is the easy access function that, when on, automatically slides the seat back to aid in entry/exit and then returns to the memory setting once in. Is this not in line with what you mean?

1. No, I don't need the tension rods adjusted. My problem is that I have stood up when I was looking in the trunk and clobbered my head into the trunk lid. Eventually I learned not to do this. I think the trunk lid is poorly designed (or maybe, more accurately, is well designed in an over-constrained space, due to the sloping roofline). I would definitely prefer a lift-back, if offered in the US.

4. I love the easy access function that slides my seat back. Great feature! But even with this, the door sill is large and the seat is set back so that I have to swivel my feet out and then stand up. The very first reviews of the Fusion commented on this, and I do find it to be true. The Fusion is harder to get out of than the Accord.

All that said, I love this car.

Edited by rprobst

Oh, thought of one other change I'd like to see: Ford shouldn't give up on working to reduce regen brake-grabbing in future years. The Fusion is better than the Prius in this regard, but the Tesla is better than the Fusion.

Maybe this could even be a software change that could be retrofitted to my '13?

Edited by rprobst

And I think they need to replace the analog needle speedometer with a digital one. It should be select able with several types of digital ones and one that mimics the a needle (a little like the MKZ does but the numbers need to be part of the screen so they can be replaced with the digital speed).

No no no no! Digital speedos are so 80s (think Vette) and really detract from the cluster in my mind. If they put in a digital make sure they include a full round one that simulates the current analog (looking) device. I drove a civic a year or so ago with the digital read out and it drove me batty.